mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Albion Hills Trail Conditions

Anyone have any idea what the trails might be like in about 2 hours? Maybe if you went there recently...

I'm thinking of going, just wondering if it's good and frozen up or sloppy and muddy. Those trails don't need any more rutting out

Looking for Adventure
    Riding is still possible in the single-track, but you will be going realllllllyyyyyy sssssslow and you will need knobby and wide snow tires. Trails frozen over with 20cm of snow and ice on top. Double-track is now useless to ride on.....lots of walkers using these trails now.

My buddies and I have resorted to trail running on the single-track, and maybe tomorrow (Tuesday) we may need those small snowshoes. Bike racing season is over I think.....time to bring out the cross country skis !
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Misfit Psycles
    ha ha - you be a good boy and keep running those trails for me ricksom, much appreciated.

we rode albion friday night, started off real cold like on the transcanada coming from palgrave but it didnt take long to warm up proper...some of the double track climbs were walkable but that makes for great cross training...the single track was a blast.

near 2hrs on the bike feels like 4 after...i was sore for a few days...

i will be hitting it again on tuesday night, so long as they havent started to groom for skiing i will continue to ride...once that starts palgrave will be all the rage.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty
    Noggy, what tires are you running?

I put the "cheater" bike to rest for the winter... SS is almost ready to go... I just need tires!
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    Noggy, what tires are you running?
    the round ones.

seriously, stop thinking and start riding...really...there is no magic tire for snow, pedaling is just harder...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    the round ones.

seriously, stop thinking and start riding...really...there is no magic tire for snow, pedaling is just harder...

hardy har har... I'll make a snowman out of you yet if I see you on the snowy trails...

how about some egg Noggy?

I need tires anyways... if you recall, one of the dogs ate a set of mine!

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    the round ones.

The only easy ride was the last one.

Misfit Psycles
    going tonight...wish me luck...or sense...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Looking for Adventure
    Don't run over me on the trails tonight....I'll be there too.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Don't run over me on the trails tonight....I'll be there too.
    running or riding?

we are departing palgrave post office parking lot at 7pm...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Looking for Adventure
    We are tackling the single-track trails around the northeast areas of Albion starting at 6:15pm.........on foot with headlamps.

Misfit Psycles
    We are tackling the single-track trails around the northeast areas of Albion starting at 6:15pm.........on foot with headlamps.
    wear snow shoes that'll help get the trails nice...oh and walk fast so as we can ride more...

been snowing most of the day on and off...prolly 6" since last night...its going to be a tough haul.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty
    running or riding?

we are departing palgrave post office parking lot at 7pm...
    hmm... wonder if I should crash your parade? this may be the only time i may be able to keep up with you... snow is perty deep Noggy... how about some snow angels too?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Looking for Adventure
    As we came around for the finish, we sniffed out your trail, and tried to ambush you from behind. But we found that you wimped out and turned back north up the road to Palgrave.

Shame.......I believe the Cougars in the area are getting hungry.

Looking for Adventure
    Most double track trails are now closed to mountain biking, as they are now groomed for skiing. Don't give the TRCA more reasons to get pissed off with mountain bikers please.

The single-track trails in the northeast section (across the road) will be stomped down over time by us night stalkers with snowshoes. May want to give them a try, but you will still be riding on at least 20cm of snow and moving realllllly slowwwww. Riding the dirt roads is another option.

mtbr member
    Good detective work Ricksom, but wimping out is hardly the word to describe the catastrophic failure of a certain eggbeater pedal.

I took a couple spills on those icey roads, tire stud's would have been handy.

...and yes, keep packing down the singletrack...we have already convinced the deer to do it.

Misfit Psycles
    Most double track trails are now closed to mountain biking, as they are now groomed for skiing. Don't give the TRCA more reasons to get pissed off with mountain bikers please.

The single-track trails in the northeast section (across the road) will be stomped down over time by us night stalkers with snowshoes. May want to give them a try, but you will still be riding on at least 20cm of snow and moving realllllly slowwwww. Riding the dirt roads is another option.
    while i wouldnt call it grooming just yet, they have begun the process of 'compressing' the double track for skiing...so it would appear that would be that there...agreed stay off.

the single track was surprisingly rideable but that doesnt mean squat if you cant get to it. its amazing the job those horsey cow type creatures do in packing down the trail...its extra nice that they actually follow the flow for the most part.

we did make a clip up to palgrave and the trails seem to have seen some better use then albion (not sure about anything beyond superficial distances though) and when we rode the ne corner of albion on friday it was a blast...i would suspect that (without further snow damage) the trails will be good to go by the w/e.

one thing about winter riding, even the smallest bumps become mountains...doing them whilst piercing your leg with an eggbeater spindle...priceless.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Looking for Adventure
    First lesson in winter riding.......only use flat pedals!! And when it gets really cold.....wear hiking shoes for warmth and traction.
    Studs is a good idea too!

Singlespeed Mysty

spare some advice about snowshoeing?

section (across the road) will be stomped down over time by us night stalkers with snowshoes.

hey ricksom... I would like to try snowshoeing... but haven't a clue what to purchase? do you go out as a large group and welcome more company? I would be interested in joining you guys, if it is a day that I can get out...

thanks kindly...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Does anybody ever ski along the singletrack (black trail) at Albion ? I imagine it would be a good workout and challenge, with all the ups and downs and turns. I used to have snowshoes many years ago, the old fashiond ones made of wood and rawhide but I don't have them anymore, I just have skis now.

Looking for Adventure
    Well, there are actually TWO (2) black trails. If you wonder in the northeast section of Albion Hills, there are black trail markers for skiing, and the ones for mountain biking, and both look the same (duhhh). I find the ski trail in this section a pretty good workout, as there are many short and steep hills and turns to challenge you on skate skis. It totals around 8km, and I usually do 3 laps, and then I am toast.........

Looking for Adventure
    Conditions are now IDEAL !!
    Lots of deep, powdery snow for some really fun snowshoeing......especially down steep hills.

XC skiing is also perfect!

Get there before the rains start this weekend.