Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Albion hills any good trail maps

I plan on ridding Albion hills a lot this fall does anyone have a good trail map ?

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Jack View Post
    I plan on ridding Albion hills a lot this fall does anyone have a good trail map ?
    Have you been there? It's signed fairly well...

mtbr member
    I have been there but can't get the hang off the sighns
    Considering I am mostly going to do night rides it would help if there was a up to date map
    I gues I need to spend 2 to 3 hours on a Saturday to get the hang of the place

namagomi
    I have been there but can't get the hang off the sighns
    Considering I am mostly going to do night rides it would help if there was a up to date map
    I gues I need to spend 2 to 3 hours on a Saturday to get the hang of the place
    Er, so you're going to use a compass and map at night? There is a large map by the chalet if i recall... but it's probably out of date. Best bet is to remember the turns...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Er, so you're going to use a compass and map at night? There is a large map by the chalet if i recall... but it's probably out of date. Best bet is to remember the turns...
    Err I do have lights

No. Just No. Moderator
    Er, so you're going to use a compass and map at night?
    Err I do have lights
    Round 1 goes to Mr. Slack. Looking like a TKO in the making.

Evil Jr.
    The forum member named TRCA is one of the people who works on the trails/routing in Albion and while I don't think she has a completely up-to-date map ready, this is part of the latest "official" route (and if you follow the thread, there's a lot more information there too.).

Quote Originally Posted by TRCA View Post
    Hey McGuillicuddy,
    Yep, you saw my note from the previous post! I apologize that we still don't have those posts up. Soon! Good strategy - get out on the trails this morning before the heat becomes too ridiculous!
    It has been pointed out to me that the trail order in that area traditionally has gone Get Groen>Moraine Momentum>Pining for More>Pinecone Express>Tea Cup>BMBC Twister>Albion Witch>[across the road] Live and Learn.
    You are right, the way I've signed it (minus those missing posts) is Get Groen> Moraine Momentum>Albion Witch>BMBC Twister>Pining for More>Pinecone Express>Tea Cup>[across the road].
    I've also been told that either way would work, as long as the signs are in place. And I know that if I tell people they have to go left at the bottom of the little piece of single track after Albion Witch there will have to be a turn cut into the grass there.

Does anybody have a problem with the slightly altered routing? Obviously you can still ride the single track in whatever order you want to, but we wanted to have a loop for people to follow who've never been to Albion.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it though!
    Cheers,
    Brittany
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet
    lights?
    wow... i want one...
    best thing you can do is just ride it as much as you can - you will remember trails pretty easily.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi Slack,
    I started riding there about once a week this past month and I traveled with the following information.

http://trca.on.ca/dotAsset/16990.pdf

Starting at the Chalet:
    - IMBA Alley
    - Gnarly Berms
    - Goat Path
    - Woo Wu
    - Sugar Shack Shuffle
    - Sugar Rush
    [Across the road (behind the lake):]
    - Get Groen
    - Moraine Momentum
    - Albion Witch
    - BMBC Twister
    - Pining for More
    - Pinecone Express
    - Tea Cup
    [Cross another road (near two-way bridge):]
    - Live and Learn
    - Epic Ride
    - Handle with Care
    - High Roller
    - Hot August Nights
    [Cross back over the road, and go towards Chalet:]
    - Ridge Run
    - In Speed We Trust
    - Speed-o-Rama
    - Summer Solstice
    Ending at the Chalet!

If you follow the Orange signs they will take you to the bulk of the above single tracks. Its easy to slip by some of them especially in the dark.

The most confusing part i found was following the orange signs takes you into an open park with tables. Keep riding straight across the grass and you will see the tire marks as you near the forest again.

If you need more water, as you come through the park on the left side of where you should be riding will be a water fountain and tap. Not sure if they are still on, but i used them the other day.

Enjoy your ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There were supposed to be news maps available by the Hot August Nights event a month ago. I was there as a spectator and there were no new maps. As Garage Monster mentioned there is a thread with very good information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sounds good guys Like I said I am going to spend 3 hours on saturday going through the Trails and getting myself familiar to them . I am familiar with that starting Trails all the way to sugar shack its after that I have to get around.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Round 1 goes to Mr. Slack. Looking like a TKO in the making.
    Unless you're counting on always ending up lost near some unique feature on the ground, right beside you, they OP must posses a very bright light to see some landmark by which to set their bearing!!

While following a bearing and pacing toward your goal, you will want to stay on course and maintain as much of a straight line as possible. To stay on track you need to know where you are, where you've been, and of course where you're going. It is beneficial to develop a sense of direction when in the woods. You should always be aware of where you are on the map. Regularly check your position. Carry a note pad with you so that you can record your bearings and paces. It may be useful for you to make a pre-trip sketch of your route. You can roughly sketch out landmarks, distances, and bearings. You don't have to adjust for declination on your pre-trip sketch. Remember, when taking a true bearing from a map all that is needed is the angle between true north and the objective. It is not necessary to consider magnetic declination' (Mooers,1972).

One way to keep as much of a straight line as possible, is to sight on some distant landmark in line with your desired bearing, and then to travel to it. This will keep you from drifting off course. Studies have shown that 'man has a natural tendency to circle' (Rutstrum, 1967). The most accurate type of compass is one that has a mirror sight. This kind of compass allows you to sight on distant objects and look at your compass at the same time. When sighting be sure to sight with your dominant eye to avoid errors.
    Of course, if you're blasting around in the dark really you're ten times(approximate figures here) better off to recognize where you're going.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    No new maps yet - still on the way. They are coming!! All the arrows should be up now though. Trailtrash or others, can you verify if the remaining posts and arrows we were talking about in the other thread are installed now? I haven't been able to get out and verify myself since our crews were there.
    The routing is just slightly different from the list below to reflect the historical routing in one area (see my edits in red).

Hey Boarder4life, where is that confusing part that takes you into an open area? I can check it out and sign it if necessary....

Cheers,
    Brittany

Quote Originally Posted by boarder4life View Post
    Hi Slack,
    I started riding there about once a week this past month and I traveled with the following information.

Starting at the Chalet:
    - IMBA Alley
    - Gnarly Berms
    - Goat Path
    - Woo Wu
    - Sugar Shack Shuffle
    - Sugar Rush
    - Get Groen
    - Moraine Momentum
    - Pining for More
    - Pinecone Express
    - Tea Cup
    - BMBC Twister
    - Albion Witch
    - Live and Learn
    - Epic Ride
    - Handle with Care
    - High Roller
    - Hot August Nights
    - Ridge Run
    - In Speed We Trust
    - Speed-o-Rama
    - Summer Solstice
    Ending at the Chalet!

If you follow the Orange signs they will take you to the bulk of the above single tracks. Its easy to slip by some of them especially in the dark.

The most confusing part i found was following the orange signs takes you into an open park with tables. Keep riding straight across the grass and you will see the tire marks as you near the forest again.

If you need more water, as you come through the park on the left side of where you should be riding will be a water fountain and tap. Not sure if they are still on, but i used them the other day.

Enjoy your ride!
    TRCA
    Toronto and Region Conservation Authority
    Email: info@trca.on.ca
    Web: http://www.trca.on.ca/
    Phone: (416) 661-6600

Up, Up, and Away!
    After Hot August Nights you are taken across a picnic area before you cross the two-way bridge. That would probably be confusing to someone new to the trails. Maybe a sign to let you know you are still on the right path would be in order?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi Brittany,
    The part I am referring to is exactly what Supergrove described

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=electrik;8490244]Unless you're counting on always ending up lost near some unique feature on the ground, right beside you, they OP must posses a very bright light to see some landmark by which to set their bearing!!

900 lumins I'd say they are very bright. That said once I get a good few hours of daylight ridding in I will be able to navigate in the night without a problem
    I always rode ravenshoe or the don at nights in the fall. But Albion is a bit more larger area then ravenshoe

namagomi
    [QUOTE=Slack Jack;8491639]
    Unless you're counting on always ending up lost near some unique feature on the ground, right beside you, they OP must posses a very bright light to see some landmark by which to set their bearing!!

900 lumins I'd say they are very bright. That said once I get a good few hours of daylight ridding in I will be able to navigate in the night without a problem
    I always rode ravenshoe or the don at nights in the fall. But Albion is a bit more larger area then ravenshoe
    Yeah, but it's lux you'll need to see distance!!

Anyway, if you get lost at Albion just keep going... eventually you'll find something if not hwy 50 or duffy's lane(home of the steamy windows).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Maybe someone could fill in some blanks on how to finish one trail and get to the next?

Starting at the Chalet:
    Follow the double track into the tree cover, up a couple of hills: IMBA is on the right
    - IMBA Alley - Exit left, quick right, quick left into Gnarly Berms
    - Gnarly Berms - turn left, follow wide path. Goat path on the right
    - Goat Path - straight ahead, immediately into Woo Wu
    - Woo Wu - You'll see the shack - Immediate left into SSS
    - Sugar Shack Shuffle
    - Sugar Rush
    - Get Groen
    - Moraine Momentum
    - Pining for More
    - Pinecone Express
    - Tea Cup
    - BMBC Twister
    - Albion Witch
    - Live and Learn
    - Epic Ride
    - Handle with Care
    - High Roller
    - Hot August Nights
    - Ridge Run
    - In Speed We Trust
    - Speed-o-Rama
    - Summer Solstice
    Ending at the Chalet!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    there are 2 different styles of trails.
    Most of the coloured paths are double track trails.
    If you follow the orange arrows they lead you to all the single track trails, they are all the named above. They have Blue and white signs at the beginning of each trail listing the name of it. Once you hit the end it puts you back on the double tracks and follow the orange signs till you hit the next single track. Once your there its very very easy to follow.

Up, Up, and Away!
    The trail maps they hand out at the camp store (not the really old one posted here) will serve you well getting from singletrack to singletrack. It's the length and layout of the singletrack that has changed, along with some of the names.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    If you follow the orange arrows they lead you to all the single track trails.
    I find the arrows are more golden than orange. My minor complaint is that they're small and hard to see.

I know the trails are constantly changing (which is a good thing), but it would be awesome to have some trail maps posted at least at the common access points (Chalet, beach etc).

mtbr member
    Check out this map that I've attached.
    Red dotted trail=single track
    Solid red trail=double track
    Arrows and yellow highlight=direction of routing (arrows are where there is a post with an arrow).
    When you come out of Hot August Nights there should be arrows at every decision point telling you which way to go. It should take you - right, right, right, left, left, left, right (where you come out into the open area), straight (through open area), over bridge, stay left.
    We may have lost the post out in the open there, but there was one when I last checked. Visitors to the park seem to think our posts make good fire wood - we've lost two already.

Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    After Hot August Nights you are taken across a picnic area before you cross the two-way bridge. That would probably be confusing to someone new to the trails. Maybe a sign to let you know you are still on the right path would be in order?
    Hi Brittany,
    The part I am referring to is exactly what Supergrove described
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Albion hills any good trail maps-single-track-routing.jpg  

TRCA

mtbr member
    The maps are coming! We'll have both kiosks at access points and print maps (or at least digital versions to start).

Quote Originally Posted by TRCA View Post
    Hey guys,
    No new maps yet - still on the way. They are coming!! All the arrows should be up now though.
    Cheers,
    Brittany
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I find the arrows are more golden than orange. My minor complaint is that they're small and hard to see.

I know the trails are constantly changing (which is a good thing), but it would be awesome to have some trail maps posted at least at the common access points (Chalet, beach etc).
    TRCA

sock puppet
    that is a pretty good map... thanks

mtbr member
    Nice map do you have one for the other side around the chalet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast