Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Albion Hills

mtbr member

Albion Hills

Anyone ride the trails this weekend? How were the trails?
    Probably heading there Monday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    In a word a great day. Trails are good, mostly dry lots of leaves. One section is closed according to the sign at the gate but i did not have time to find it today. I am going back monday for about 11 o'clock.

mtbr member
    I was there today - mint conditions. As goodwrench said, lots of leaves!

Singlespeed Mysty

north was closed - apparently ...

trails in the north... looks like they were clearing some trees, and looks like possible a new trail? unsure...

otherwise - trails were awesome when I was there saturday afternoon... some mud spots, but nothing that you can't ride around...

there are a few areas where some trail looks like it was washed out... just past the little bench that overlooks the beach... the fork to the right... be carefull on the left going down...

I enjoyed the ride, wished I brought my camera... there was a stampede of wild turkey that rushed across me so be careful you don't run one of them suckers down - they may peck you to death

there was a photographer that was taking photos right in the middle of the trails so had to be careful not to nail him around a blind corner... I did try to avoid him in one area, hit a big hole that was washed out, but deceiving with all the leaves around and as I past him I wiped out right in front of him... gee, I wonder if he got a shot of Mysty airbourne?
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

I Wanna Be Sedated
    If one were to have a look inside the closed for logging area, hypothetically speaking, it would just about bring a tear to your eye. Maybe once the machinery and the branches are cleared out there will still be hope for a trail, but currently it just looks like a pointless excercise - why perform forestry operations of this scale in a conservation area???
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The trails were great this weekend... drained well, and traction was good. Too bad 2 trails were closed off entirely - in detouring around them I noticed that the forestry operations seemed relatively low impact... ie cutting down only every 2nd or 3rd tree. Although I'm not sure what the deal with using the heavy machinery of on the fire roads since most trees were cut up into small manageable chunks.

Misfit Psycles
    the trail conditions were smashing. the section logged was really minuscule in the grande scheme of things. crappy stuff too to be frank, so good riddens, and i hope that the book those barky basturds becomes provides more entertainment.

i havent said this in over a year but people - get out to albion and ride...my last few trips has seen the black loop overflowing with helmetless supercycle riders and gaggles of hikers and leaf watchers...all of whom seem to be pissed that i am riding their trails.

oh and if you are riding the trail backwards wtfo.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty

Wink hypothetically speaking... is that where you broke your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by tapsa
    If one were to have a look inside the closed for logging area, hypothetically speaking, it would just about bring a tear to your eye.
    and where your tears came from?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

smashing indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    crappy stuff too to be frank, so good riddens, and i hope that the book those barky basturds becomes provides more entertainment.
    what trails are those anyways Noggy? the crappy ones you speak of?

oh - and ... can someone tell me how to get to the EPIC RIDE trail? I can't seem to get lost in the same spot as last time to find this bad boy trail

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    oh and if you are riding the trail backwards wtfo.
    yeah - no kidding...heads up for certain... and maybe even wild turkeys on bikes

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    I was there Saturday. Even with the closed sections (S10 and the little rocky pass) it was great. I still managed to get in over 30 km by doing the black trail and the new section across the road twice. Albion still rocks.

And yes, hikers were not too happy to see me, even though I made all kinds of noises long before coming up on them.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I didn't break my bike - my bike broke.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    hypothetically speaking... is that where you broke your bike?
    The derailleur hanger broke in the initial climb to S6 thanks to some brilliant industrial engineering by the folks at SRAM - they must have hired U of T engineering grads....who the h-e-double hockey sticks makes a limiting screw seat out of plastic???

Fackers ruined my Sat ride - at least I got it fixed and got in rides Sun and today to make up for it...
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Trails were great! Couldn't ask for a better day to ride. Definitely worth the trip. Too bad my ridding buddy got stuck in court all day. Sucker!

Hack Racer
    I was there this afternoon. Trails were simply amazing. The weather was even better. I live for days like today... nothing like leaving work early with the mountain bike in the trunk of the car heading to albion to rip the single track.

The section that is closed is S10. I lots of downed branches and small trees as they are clearing some of the section out.

Hard packed and fast. Leaves are a bit slippery in the shady sections. It was bliss.

Singlespeed Mysty

Wink yes dear... your bike broke...

I didn't break my bike - my bike broke.
    well, well Jooooouky - aren't we pesky when we can't ride

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I'm not pesky. I am getting tired of the rain - that's all we've had since late last night. Enough already, I need to go and ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    well, well Jooooouky - aren't we pesky when we can't ride
    Jouko

Singlespeed Mysty

bring your cameras...

managed to get some miles today at albion (before work) on a lonesome trail as there was nobody to be seen ... mmm... the smell of pine... not that fake car airfreshener crap...

fall riding at albion is so nice, especially when you pass that body of water where the trees are sticking up from the water when you ride through to black trails...

the scenery at the beach from the top was especially nice this morning... nobody was out the water was calm... and stupid Mysty forgets her camera! shame on me!

something can be said about riding in the leaves... everything is covered up and things can be a bit more challenging as to make sure you keep watch where you are going. I can honestly say, riding over stuff I can't see much of puts my mind in a different state - in a good way...

anyways, conditions are great - except for a few mud patches... careful when trying to go through S7... they are going to town on that section of train and I was a bit disappointed that they opened it up a bit... it felt weird riding through... lots of branches in the middle of the trail at the start - then it is fine once you are past that...

as you are coming out of S7 ready to turn that sharp right and bomb down that sandy hill, beware of the tractor tracks that have left huge imprint to the far left... if you stay in the middle you will have less of a bumpy ride down

hope this weather keeps up! I really want to take advantage of this as much as I can... so should the rest of you... just don't be a doe head and bring your camera

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The cool, blustery weather seems to have driven the hikers away. At least that was the case last weekend. Late on Saturday, I encountered only one other rider and no hikers. Of course it was raining at the time and we were the only two dumb enough to be out there in those conditions. The leafy trails were downright treacherous in the wet, but the pines were no problem. Sunday was great ! Wildlife sightings included one deer, a few turkeys, and one hiker. I am happy to report no encounters with unleashed dogs.
    The blue trail heading north past s11 toward s8 and s10 is in pretty rough shape from the tractor tires. Ever ride on railway tracks? Other than the logged areas , the trails were great with surprisingly few riders. Hard to figure.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I've been in sunny and hot Nevada all week (all work, no riding) and now that I've got myself back at home, I'm hoping to get to Albion tomorrow. This is assuming my staff has not piled a foot of paper on top of my desk to await my return....
    Jouko

Singlespeed Mysty

keep warm!

I've been in sunny and hot Nevada all week (all work, no riding) and now that I've got myself back at home, I'm hoping to get to Albion tomorrow. This is assuming my staff has not piled a foot of paper on top of my desk to await my return....

it was rather cold and crispy this morning... hopefully you will get out there tomorrow when there is some sun...

I am going to be there on Saturday, assuming my photo shoot is done by noon... maybe I'll bump into you again another time... note to self... make sure next photo shoot is at Albion so i can ride right after and save me the trip ....

just keep the toasties with you...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    I will definitely be riding Albion this Saturday morning. Looks like the weekend will be perfect for some fall riding so we might as well milk it for all it is worth.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... girl gone mad...

yesterday...

right then.

beautiful riding weather yesterday, so me ad AndrewTO hit Albion in the afternoon...

after having hit all the usual climbs - I conquered this one damn rooted climb (YIPPEE YAY!) that I haven't been able to do and get pissed off at myself ...

I say to myself as I am just getting to it... "I'm making it up this damn thing!"

I finally made it up!! so the entire forest of animals were made aware when I yelled out loud ...

so... after frolicking in the leafy trails, Mysty decided she wanted to attempt the green monster climb at the end of the ride ... I was feeling brave... I don't know how the hell Noggy does it...

first time I attempted it, I maybe made it 1/4 of the way up and said no way!

this time, I went up half way and was startled when T dot O decided to document this occasion... so my quest continues... I will keep trying till I get to the top dammit ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1mystk; 11-04-2007 at 11:22 AM.

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

max_29
    which part of Albion Hills is that "green monster climb" ?

sock puppet

it starts

Quote Originally Posted by max_29
    which part of Albion Hills is that "green monster climb" ?
    at the bottom of the green monster climb, and goes all the way to the top of it...

the bottom starting point is right between the challet and the parking lot.... cant miss it... there are numerous skulls and human remains - belonging to poor souls that tried climbing it but did not make it all the way to the top...

mtbr member
    I went for a long ride Saturday (did the black loop twice) but it was harder than I would like to admit (used my singlespeed). On Sunday I brought my geared FS and really enjoyed the recovery ride. Speaking of my FS bike, can somebody remind me why the heck we ride rigid bikes? The FS experience was soooo very nice.

And I finally met osokolo.
    But I missed 1mystk and AndrewTO.

1mystk, looking good in those pics. That green monster climb is tough, but well within your ability. Next time try it at the begining of the ride.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

Muskoka

Albion & Hunting?

Am I correct to assume there is no hunting on the Albion Hills grounds? It could be worth your life to venture into the woods here in Muskoka over the next few weeks! I have always wanted to ride Albion other than doing the 24hr hammer rides, but never seem to get there. Maybe now would be the time?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast