Thread: Ajax trails?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Ajax trails?

I'll be moving to Ajax in a month and I'm wondering if there are any mtb trails in the area.
    Last edited by tilk; 04-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Where in Ajax?

Durham Forest and Glen Major are a short drive North. If you're in the North West end of Ajax, there's a bunch of stuff within a few km ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Another option for an easy ride would be Cullen Gardens / Heber Downs in Whitby. It is not as good as Durham Forest / Glen Major, but still could be an option for a quick ride in the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There is Greenwood by Westney Rd / Taunton Rd. Too bad the bridge was taken down as some trails go all the way up to Hwy 7 area. You can still ride the trails to the north, you'll just need to cross the river.

Pickering has the Seaton Hiking Trai by Valley Fram Dr and Concession Rd 3. Rouge Park at Kingston Rd / Port Union in Scarborough.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Heber is good if you're looking to do some casual and fun riding. Theres a couple of decent climbs in there, but nothing crazy technical.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Pickering has the Seaton Hiking Trai by Valley Fram Dr and Concession Rd 3. Rouge Park at Kingston Rd / Port Union in Scarborough.
    I can't remember is Seaton legal now or is the decision still being made?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    I can't remember is Seaton legal now or is the decision still being made?
    I've been told that the TRCA wants to officially include mountain biking, but it hasn't been done yet. The Seaton Trail advocacy group doesn't seem to have any issue with bikes unless they're motorized. I've shown up to build days on my bike and was welcomed by all.

There's also trails South of Seaton Hiking Trail along Duffins Creek on both the East and West sides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Best bet is Durham and Glen Major / Walker Woods. See trail maps below:

Durham - http://maps.gotwisted.com/df.pdf
    Glen Major / Walker Woods - http://maps.gotwisted.com/ww.pdf

I'm a big fan of Durham, lots of parking, easily accessible, a relatively short drive (20 minutes from my home), and enough loops to keep you busy for a good part of a day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you want to ride your bike there, you have Seaton and Greenwood as close options. Not sure about what will happen to Seaton, but, I was there recently and there has been excellent work done. Also, there are many other odd explorable areas north of Pickering/Ajax, but they aren't consistent with single-track. For some of the best mtb riding in the area, Durham Forest and Glen-Major / Walker Property are tops on my list. A short drive north, and when in shape, a 40-50 minute bike ride to the trails. When you're done the trails. If you are beat, the ride back, although hilly, is on average downhill. I suggest visiting Northern Cycle bike store in Ajax too.

Durham/Glen Major/Walker Woods is one of the best places for so many reasons. You can take a complete amateur there and they won't freak out or be discouraged, and yet if you go there intent on riding fast and getting your thrills, it delivers that too. It's a flexible fun trail system. Of course, it is also quite isolated and natural, and I'm biased to it's peaceful natural quality. It's a southern part of the Oak Ridges Morraine. Also, the surrounded roads and area is also beautiful too. When I ride up there I often stop for a juice and snack in a local store. Anyhow, I am forever a "Durham Forest" advocate. You can't beat the trail system up there for many reasons, and it's been improved recently and is accepted as an official mountain bike trail, although hiking and other non-motorized uses are also permitted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Another vote for Durham Forest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone else here ride Greenwood at night? Or has anyone riden Seaton Hiking Trail at night? Or parts of it?

Also whats the closest intersection to enter Duffins Creek trail?
    Last edited by pucked up; 08-10-2012 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've only ridden Greenwood a few times. One time I needed a light on the way out.

Duffins Creek trails and Seaton trail can be accessed from Dixie and 3rd concession, Pineridge High School, Valley Farm just North of Finch, the West end of 3rd Concession West of Brock, Foreststream Rd near Whites and Taunton, and the South side of Taunton just East of the bridge over Duffins creek East of Whites.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks. I was riding parts of Seaton today, not bad compaired to when was I first on it a few years back. A lot of work done to improve it. I'll come back and try it at night. Need to test the lights some more. I just wanted a different place to ride at night beside Greenwood.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rode seaton today. They are still working on it. Lot's of changes. A huge metal stairway is going in at the top of the south section at Taunton road. I saw quite a few hikers and 4 guys on mtbs.

I hope somehow Seaton includes mtb in the future, but it doesn't help that some people disregard the TRCA's re-routing for ecological restoration purposes and just general trail redesign.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My vote is also on Durham Forest and Glen Major. I really enjoy both of those trail systems. Glen Major seems to have a few more climbs tham Durham Forest, but it's a fantastic ride.
    I also ride Rouge Valley quite a bit (I know I'm not allowed, but I cant help it, it's too close to home not too.)

Either way you look at it, Ajax is a great spot to be because you have quite a few options in any direction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Funny how everyone says Durham Forest first, then Glen Major. These are definitely the top spots close to Ajax, but I'd put Glen Major first, maybe cause I prefer fewer riders and tougher terrain. You can get to Glen Major quicker as well from Ajax, either on the East side at 3 rocks just north of Balsam or on the west off Westney Rd. North or link into it from the Brock Tract off Brock rd. just North of Claremont. It's a 15-20 min drive tops once you leave Ajax. I prefer the shorter drive and then ride up to Durham Forest through Glen Major and Walker Woods.

As for Greenwood, Seaton and Rouge, well let me start by saying they are all supposed to be off limits for mtb (for now). But hypothetically speaking, if mtb's were allowed, there are some great trails in there too.

If you are game for a bit more, you can always ride up to Glen Major from Ajax via the Greenwood Conservation area trails off Church st just north of Taunton. There are lots of "consistent" trails throughout the south side of Greenwood and then crossing concession 5 there are some great trails in the north section (just have to know where to look). You can also ride north through the area following the trans Canada trail route along the river, past Pickering Museum, across hwy 7, up Paddock rd, then sideline 12, a quick dogleg west on concession 8 and then North on Westney all the way to the southwest corner of Glen Major.

Seaton is a bit more out and back as the trails follow the river north from Pickering, but you can do one side and then the other, although the west side trails pretty well run out at the railway bridge not that far up and you have to switch to the East side (river crossing) to continue north.

There's a bit more to the Rouge, but you are still following a narrow band of land along a river so don't expect huge loops. There are also a lot more bipeds not expecting bikes, and more that know bikes aren't supposed to be in there, so be warned.

You can also connect Greenwood, Seaton and Rouge. Seaton and Greenwood can be connected both from the south (through the lands north of the Brock landfill) and in the north by riding along concession 5 for about 10 min. Seaton can be connected to Rouge along an old trail system that starts off Dixie rd where it turns and becomes concession 3, right at the railway tracks. The trail sort of follows the tracks all the way to the Rouge at the old Beare landfill. The trail doglegs at each major road it hits but its not that hard to pick it up again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wow. You seem to know alot about the trails in this area. I've done lot's of exploring, but over the years, things are changing. North Greenwood in the old camping area seemed to have no serious singletrack, but I still liked exploring there...I love all the strange areas. The old Brock North landfill to the west of that north Greenwood area is possibly still a dirt bike area, but it's still fun to explore. There are some odd trails on the east side of Seaton where the Brock landfill and borrow pit is. There is construction going on in and around there, so it's not all obvious where you can go anymore. Claremont conservation area sort of has some trails too, but fragmented and short.

I used to ride up from Ajax/Pickering to Durham Forest often. Many of us refer to Glen Major, Walker Property and Durham Forest proper all as "Durham Forest". Glen Major is the southern most. I love riding the country roads up to Durham and back. After riding the trails, the ride back home is downhill on average.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I don't have enough posts on this forum to put up maps... but if you google "gotwisted durham forest map" you'll find them. He's got great detail on all of the connected properties - Durham Forest, Walker's Woods, and Glen Major... even Bluebird trail. They're all up to date with the best singletrack listed out, like Burnt Toast, Maple Gravy, etc!

There's other stuff around there too... like north west of North Walker's there's another TCRA tract (Clubine) that is part of the Oak Ridges trail system... and it keeps going.

Heber Down / Cullen Park are ok, but too many dogs. They're more hiking trails anyway, pretty small property.

I've been living in this area for years and mountain biking for years and I still find new stuff... it's awesome.

jono