mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Ajax/Pickerings little North Shore

On the tip of an old guy I run into on the trails now an then, I went exploring in an area that I know has trails, but have only once ridden a few years ago. It's a 5km ride from where I live, and there was HEAVY dog activity when I was there, so I haven't been back since. The secret treasure I was after was stashed in a corner of the large area, and supposedly consisted of a lot of ladder bridges, which he described some as being 400 feet long and 20 feet in the air. I was skeptical, but went looking, following his vague directions.

While he did exaggerate the length and height, it wasn't by a lot. I think the tallest point was more like 12-15 feet up, and the longest one may have been 200 feet long. They went up, down, coiled up and crossed over themselves, crossed creeks...... it was fantastic. There was dozens of them in there, with several being 100+ feet long. Narrow in some spots, but wider where they're high, and where needed for cornering. No wheel lifting required. They're spindly, tall, and some very long. I've never been so scared and excited for such a long distance on a bike before. I was $hitting my pants and grinning ear to ear at the same time the whole way.

I went back this morning with my camera, and a friend.

Going one way over the corkscrew,

and the other way.

High up, about halfway through the long bridge.

My friend Paolo on some of the lower bridges,

and one with a suspension section supported with thick rubber belts.

An artsy shot of some red berries.

A short bridge with a steep exit over some logs.

bi-winning
    Well that looks very interesting.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Burnt Orange Lives
    Looks like fun. Good find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by osokolo; 09-10-2011 at 06:39 PM.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Looks lime fun.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well, its not a secret anymore. Who owns this land? Whether its private, Municipal or Provincial property, do you think permission was given to ride there or build the obsticles that are potentially dangerous?

Take James Leone out on the next group get together ride and see how long those trails last after that ride.

I'm sure the people that put the time into that area appreciate you making this availble for the public to view and see what mountain bikers like to do and ride. I know, lets host a trials competition there and bring hundreds of people to view this for themselves.

I wonder why?.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan2 View Post
    Well, its not a secret anymore. Who owns this land? Whether its private, Municipal or Provincial property, do you think permission was given to ride there or build the obsticles that are potentially dangerous?

Take James Leone out on the next group get together ride and see how long those trails last after that ride.

I'm sure the people that put the time into that area appreciate you making this availble for the public to view and see what mountain bikers like to do and ride. I know, lets host a trials competition there and bring hundreds of people to view this for themselves.

I wonder why?.
    I don't think I've given enough information about the location of this area for anyone who reads this to easily go find it. Information exists online detailing the location and existence of these features, and some of that information dates back several years. I don't think I can be considered to have blown the secret.

I'll make sure to not take James Leone out there.

How can you be sure what the builders are thinking, unless you are the builder? So if you are, thank you, it's very cool what you've done. While I'm at it, do you mind if I repair a few broken rungs I spotted on some of the bridges?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

I wonder why?.
    Mod please note this. To keep all happy I suggest that from now on all pictures of bikes being ridden, trails, and any combination are now banned. Because to exclude only a specific type would be insular and discriminatory. And therefore is evil.

Stay tuned for next week when someone whines that X tire tread is to aggresive and therefore is evil.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

banned
    Sep 2011
    That is some cool stuff

humber river advocate

I wonder why?.
    while cool (and old), not the best of builds going on here.

nailing into live trees is a no no and i would be careful on those spanned sections...

a couple of tips when building with ontario swamp cedar
    -leave around 4"-6" past the nailing point to prevent splitting
    -peel the bark off to prevent rot. you leave the bark on it will rot fast
    -use bigger nails then you think you need. the cedar expands/contracts/flexes
    -learn about trusses
    bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    while cool (and old), not the best of builds going on here.

nailing into live trees is a no no and i would be careful on those spanned sections...

a couple of tips when building with ontario swamp cedar
    -leave around 4"-6" past the nailing point to prevent splitting
    -peel the bark off to prevent rot. you leave the bark on it will rot fast
    -use bigger nails then you think you need. the cedar expands/contracts/flexes
    -learn about trusses
    Agreed on all points, but methods aside I gotta say I am impressed by the amount of work that has been put in.

I walked each one carefully before riding them, and will walk certain ones again before riding them next time also.

mtbr member
    Very cool stuff but they look a little wide for the North Shore

Evil Jr.

That, my friend, is what Jack in the Pulpit looks like at this time of year.

Those ladders are really impressive!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

banned
    Sep 2011
    I just want to ride it someone guide me

banned
    Sep 2011
    Has Anyone seen the stuff they built over in stouville and Bayview
    there were 30 foot gap jumps and 8 foot step ups Crazy drops and some nice high bridges

sheep in FOX clothing
    ^^^ I believe what was left (not fallen down or rotted out) was removed when the TRCA purchased the property in '08. Unless more stuff has been put up since then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know the area well, run in there fairly frequently with my trail running group. One of the guys met the guy that built it all up last year. The builder (just one guy from what I understand) builds and it takes him quite a while, but then word gets out and to the Town and they go in and tear it all down. He then waits and build again. Apparently he has rebuilt about 3-4 times over the years.

Some people smoke, some people gamble, some collect ball cards or ride bikes, and some build bridges and platforms!

The current incarnation has been around for at least 2 yrs (that I have known of it) and probably a couple hundred feet have been added in the past year and you can see where he has been planning more.

I've never ridden them, run them no problem and for the most part pretty much all are stable even the odd one that seems to sway a bit seems to hold our weight fine, but we space ourselves out to be at least a bit safer.

I have a video of us doing a sort of Hash (Hash House Harriers) through there, but I'll save it from the forum.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

banned
    Sep 2011
    Osteo what are you talking about. Ajax or Stouville ?

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by the bob View Post
    there is the newmarket crew who is active in that area, they donated some features that i recycled into new features bridges to be used elsewhere a while ago. nice bunch of guys.
    bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by the bob View Post
    There is something like that in Stouville??

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

wwg
    No Class
    The exit in the last pic is one broken rung from being dangerous.
    Q: Who's faster than me?
    A: Just about everybody, including your oldest living relative.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    There is something like that in Stouville??

D
    There was but the last time I was there it was 2 years ago.. there was a Huge scary gap jump Like I am Talking at least a 40 foot gap.. In have no Idea who built it.. But the ladder bridges and teeter was pretty run dow. They were high but in bad shape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Shhhhhhh!

Well I guess it's inevitable that these sorts of trails end up becoming "too public", I'm surprised it's taken this long actually. I ride these trails all the time as do a handful of other riders that know the builder. So now that this post is up, let's just keep the location to ourselves shall we. I'm happy you found them and enjoy them, but part of their continued existence is that they are only known to a few riders and other trail users. I'm sure you'll get a few PM's asking where they are but let's not make any public references to their location. Enjoy them, help keep them safe and alive, explore some more and you might find other hidden treasures in the area, but if you do please don't post it up here.

Thanks

Custom User Title

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Draystex View Post
    Well I guess it's inevitable that these sorts of trails end up becoming "too public", I'm surprised it's taken this long actually. I ride these trails all the time as do a handful of other riders that know the builder. So now that this post is up, let's just keep the location to ourselves shall we. I'm happy you found them and enjoy them, but part of their continued existence is that they are only known to a few riders and other trail users. I'm sure you'll get a few PM's asking where they are but let's not make any public references to their location. Enjoy them, help keep them safe and alive, explore some more and you might find other hidden treasures in the area, but if you do please don't post it up here.

Thanks
    good luck with that!
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Draystex View Post
    ...... but let's not make any public references to their location.
    I was not, and am not planning to make any public references to their location.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    never mind...
    Last edited by Eponymous; 09-13-2011 at 01:10 PM.