Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Advice needed in Ontario

Hello,
    Im new to the forum and recently got back into mountain biking this summer. Riding an old bike and wanted to upgrade to a 27.5. Can anybody recommend an honest lbs in southern ontario? And bike recommendations. under the $1500 range. Would prefer a Canadian manufacturer. Thanks

mtbr member
    There are a few good shops around the GTA. I have been dealing with cycle solutions at the beaches for years. Their service and attention to detail is excellent. They also have some of the best mechanics and wheel builders around. As to the bike, you would have to give a bit more detail about the kind of riding you want to do. At that price point, I would not suggest going to a full suspension bike unless you are willing to make some big sacrifices in components and frame. You might consider looking at used bikes. There are a lot of good deals on pinkbike and kijiji.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Looking for a hard tail. Trail riding, Kelso. Nothing too technical or downhill. Cant afford injury. Lol. I would like to do some races. Not sure about used bikes. I checked out a used Specialized and it was a POS. Alot of people think they can buy a bike for $2000 drive it into the ground and sell it for $1500 five years later

Old Noob
    Aug 2014
    First post here but I would keep an eye on Kijiji. I was a road racer many many years ago, switched to mountain biking as it was .....well....more exciting. Took a 15 year hiatus but came back to it recently. The 20 year old Kona just wasn't cutting it. So I was in the market for a newer ride. I found a nice Jamis FS that had barely 5 rides on it. The guy bought it literally two months before I bought it form him (he upgraded). So I ended up with a nice ride for way less than half of MSRP. I initially looked at new but found I could get more value used. There are a lot of barely used bikes on Kijiji. Be patient and a good deal will pop up.

BTW, we used to ride Kelso many moons ago. Went back twice and am totally hooked again.....ah, the memories.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yep I've been on the lookout on kijiji for awhile. Didnt know about pinkbike. Any more recommendations are welcome. No good made in Canada bikes?

mtbr member
    Devinci and Rocky mountain bikes are canadian companies and both make a great product.
    as far as LBS in southern ontario i've bought products and had service done at Epic Ride
    and Cycling Elements in Orangeville.
    both have been great. also kamikaze in collingwood.
    Team Van Go

mtbr member

RE: Advice needed in Ontario

Norco is another Cdn company. Their equivalent models are usually priced lower than Devinci or Rocky. Having said that all my mtb bikes are Rockys....love the ride!
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A buddy just got a Giant thru Cyclepath in Oakville at what I thought was a great deal on a 2014, you may be lucky and find a shop that wants to clear out some stock (not just on Giants) The last LBS bike I bought was a Rocky (in 99!) still have it but don't limit yourself to Canadian content, not that I'm suggesting that you don't - but along with Devinci, Rocky, Norco consider Kona or Giant as well - they seem to be spec'd well for a given price point. But in the end, sink the money into a good frame/shock and wheels and mid level gears which can be replaced as they wear out.
    Another way would be to build up your own spec (if your into that kind of thing) - frame from here and a shock from there - if your not picky on having the latest you can find closeouts on higher level parts and put it together. My latest ride I put together in 2010.

Let us know how it goes..

mtbr member
    If you can wait, January and February are a good time to check for deals. There are a couple of dozen shops in the GTA with decent inventory. They will be looking to clear whatever they have left. Norco is Canadian but their frames come from China. I am not sure anyone builds frames here. If you consider a 29er, you will have a lot more options and get more bang for your buck. If you are looking new, it may be just a matter of hitting a bunch of shops to see what they have.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you're looking for a new bike the fall bike show is around the corner. Basically bike shops from around the GTA sell off their current year bikes at a reduce price to make room for the new models. It is usually held at the CNE grounds in Toronto. You should be able to find a deal there if you're not in a hurry to get a bike.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Fall show is a zoo. Prices are all over the place. Know your prices.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Might end up waiting. I wanted to attend Pauls Dirty Enduro but don't think I'll make it. Itd be sweet to build my own but wouldn't know where to start. Where would I find more info on this fall bike show?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomageddon View Post
    Might end up waiting. I wanted to attend Pauls Dirty Enduro but don't think I'll make it. Itd be sweet to build my own but wouldn't know where to start. Where would I find more info on this fall bike show?
    The starting point for any build your own bike up is the frame. And that is a discussion unto itself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For sure. I will pass on that. Im leaning towards a rocky mountain bike.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Looking for a hard tail. Trail riding, Kelso. Nothing too technical or downhill. Cant afford injury. Lol. I would like to do some races. Not sure about used bikes. I checked out a used Specialized and it was a POS. Alot of people think they can buy a bike for $2000 drive it into the ground and sell it for $1500 five years later
    There are some idjits out there trying to pull a fast one when it comes to used. Worst will be duallies with all those pivots. But if you are careful you can find good stuff via that method. Just takes patience.

If you are on Facebook..here is a Ontario connection. Lots of stuff will be posted and the people on here are more take care of it types.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/264404450297176/

Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    Fall show is a zoo. Prices are all over the place. Know your prices.
    Or bring a friend.

mtbr member
    here is a link to both fall and spring bike show
    Toronto Bicycle Fall Blowout Sale
    Team Van Go

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Re: Building your own spec, yep could be considered not for the timid, don't mean that in a bad way, just means you need to know what you want, ask questions as everyone has an opinion - then filter out the crap - but its fun..

Re: picking a Rocky, get choice, but as Secret Agent mentioned try a 29er as well more choices and Rocky has the Vertex (29er) - great bike.. don't know much about any of the Rocky offerings in 27.5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Lifes too short to be good at more than a few things.
    Tried a 29er. Didnt like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Itd be sweet to build my own but wouldn't know where to start.
    I've built my own 29er HT last year. My first bike from the ground up. It was a great experience and I'm loving the bike. It was easier than I thought it would be.

If you want some info on building your own HT 27.5 bike and carbon fiber frame is to your liking. Then take a look at this thread.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition

Based on the parts you put on your frame, you can build one with the budget you have.

All the best on your journey!
    "By Your Command"

Lemmy Rules!
    Why not bring your old bike out to Paul's? It's a pretty low-pressure environment - all about a fun ride, and for a good cause. It's not like you'll encounter a bunch of bike snobs sneering at your older bike or anything lame like that...

And you never know, you may see a couple of bikes you like the look of there, and be able to talk to their owners about them. A good way to start your research.

BTW Rocky Mountain have some 27.5 offerings in the sub-$1500 range you were looking at....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I cant go for reasons other than the bike. I don't value myself by what others think of me. Everybody has been nice and helpful so far. Thank you

Lemmy Rules!
    I cant go for reasons other than the bike. I don't value myself by what others think of me. Everybody has been nice and helpful so far. Thank you
    Good for you!

I looked on the RM website on your behalf, and see that there is a bit of a gap in the 27.5 lineup. There is the Fusion 27.5, a solid entry-level bike, for $999. Presuming that you also want to put clipless pedals on it, and need shoes, that is close to your budget. Beyond that, you are looking at mega-bucks for a Thunderbolt or Element FS bike.

Have you considered Scott? They have a pretty wide variety of 27.5 bikes....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ya. Im liking the fusion. The paint job seems kinda dated. Not as "cool" looking as others I've seen. But I kinda like that. It doesn't scream steal me if I have to lock it up in the city.

Lemmy Rules!
    Ya. Im liking the fusion. The paint job seems kinda dated. Not as "cool" looking as others I've seen. But I kinda like that. It doesn't scream steal me if I have to lock it up in the city.
    My advice would be to hang on to your old bike as a "daily driver" that you can lock up without fear of theft, and keep the fusion for the trails...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Ya. Im liking the fusion. It doesn't scream steal me if I have to lock it up in the city.
    Actually it does scream steal me. I'm with unglued on this one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast