Evil Jr.

The Absolute Final, Last, Ultimate Hamilton Velodrome Meeting (For Now)

I was asked by Brian Chewter (super-nice owner of Central Cycle in Hamilton and former Olympian) to drum up a little support for what he tells me will be the "last" meeting of the City's General Issues Committee regarding the Pan-Am velodrome. (Those following it in the news will know there's a serious funding gap.)

He said it was going to be at 8:30 in Council Chambers but if you look HERE, it says 9:30. So better safe than sorry.

I'm told Steve Bauer and Kurt Harnett (among other notable Canadian cycling icons) are rumoured to be on-hand to make impassioned cases for going ahead with the project.

If you can fit it into your schedule, this would probably be one worth attending.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Workin for the weekend!
    Funding "gap"...? More like funding crater! Bratina and his team ***** the bed pretty bad on this idea, this will not end well. Look at the whole Ticat stadium fiasco, same people are involved in this mess...

Evil Jr.
    I agree that this is a total mess. This project had such great potential when it was first announced and now, I just sigh and shake my head every time I read/hear about it.

I've been involved (though not deeply) in this since nearly the beginning and I'm astounded at how convoluted and distorted everything has become.

However, there's a tiny part of me that still sees the potential and I'll do what I can to see it through.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

the only indoor velodrome in north america

that meets international standards,
    HomeDepot Center | Venues | Velodrome
    is said to be a $15 million project. The last number I heard on tv was $57 million for Mohawk. Mohawk is said to have $17 million to contribute.
    Maybe someone could call homedepot and see if they are in.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    Maybe someone could call homedepot and see if they are in.
    I'm pretty sure naming rights are going to be a big part of the "sell" to Council on how to bridge the gap. I'm thinking something like the "Tim Horton's Maple Dip Velodrome".

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Don't worry.. York Uni would be happy to take another Pan Am venue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I will come out to support the cycling community... The idea of a velodrome has always been more exciting to me than a track & field stadium or the Ticats's "new" home.

Stephen
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

Evil Jr.
    Here's a copy of the letter Brian sent to the Mayor on Friday.

AND a link to tomorrow's AGENDA.

Mayor Bratina and Members of City Council,

I am writing to introduce myself and to express the views of the Hamilton Cycling Committee regarding the proposed Pan AM Velodrome facility.

I am an entrepreneur in Ward 3. A native Hamiltonian, I am also a two-time Olympic cyclist (Munich, 1972 and Montreal, 1976) and an honorary member of the Hamilton Cycling Club. I also sit on the Hamilton Cycling Committee and was voted to represent the Committee on the City's Velodrome Committee.

The Hamilton Cycling Committee position is that a velodrome located in Hamilton will be immeasurably rewarding. The most significant of these are:
    - the prestige of having a world-class training/games facility in Hamilton;
    - the revenues from on-site advertising, track user fees, spectator admission fees, parking fees, and spin-off revenues in the form of accommodation and dining needs (heaviest use is expected to be during the fall and winter seasons) that local hotels and restaurants would supply;
    - being home to the National and Provincial cycling teams as their designated training base;
    - being a site which can serve as a major player in hosting annual Provincial and National competitions as well as World Cup cycling events;
    - the benefactor of promoting grassroots track cycling; and
    - the investment in the health and well-being of the entire community.

In recognition of the necessity for City Council to pledge an additional five million dollars for this project, we believe that shortfalls can be met through the identification of major local and international sponsors; by fundraisers such as special events and promotional tours; and by opening an account to receive public and corporate donations, with donors' names inscribed on donation plaques.

In conclusion, we wish to impress upon you the invaluable contribution this City Council will make to amateur sport for generations into the future with a "yes" vote next Tuesday, Sept 13.

Sincerely,
    Brian Chewter
    on behalf of the Hamilton Cycling Committee

Evil Jr.
    Wow, that was a long meeting. (Un)fortunately, I couldn't stay for the whole thing but it seemed clear by the time that I left that things were going to be deferred for yet another month. Yay.

Anyhow, I did get down to City Hall in time to hear both Kurt Harnett and Steve Bauer speak.

Mark Chamberlain, CEO of Wescam, gave an extremely inspiring delegation and publicly pledged to play a major role in the fund raising effort while challenging Council to raise their stake to $10million. He strongly believes that the velodrome is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and that it would boost the City's brand immeasurably.

Council was generally hard to read. I get the sense that the Mayor, Powers and Whitehead are ready to vote yes. Ferguson is a mystery. Merulla wants no part of it. Everyone else is a wild card at this point.

Again, sigh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

City Challenged to Raise Commitment from $5 to $10 Million!

I will be talking to my Councillor, Jamie Fox about the Velodrome.

I appreciate the Councillor's frustration with Infrastructure Ontario's apparently very inflated figures on what the Velodrome will cost ($39 to $46 million) and the "soft cost" calculations involved. (Apparently other indoor velodromes built around the world in the past few years are costing on the order of $24 to $25 million. It's interesting to hear, too, that soft costs on municipally lead projects averages in the 15% to 20% range.) The frustration is based on the fact that the City and private contributions have to come up with 44% of the total cost of the project while the Feds and Province each pick up 28%, so inflated figures require a greater level of commitment on the City's part.

I agree, too, that Mohawk needs to increase their contribution or lower their expectations for priority use if it's to be sited on their campus. While I'd prefer it to be located at the Waterfront, (which actually ranked 4th on the site selection committee's list), I don't see the replacement for the Mohawk student union's contribution of $2 million coming from anywhere else and feel it's at least close to down town and other riding opportunities in the west end of the city.

Was it Councillor Chad Collins who pledged $1000 towards the project?? I know it was one of the male councillors on the west side of the room. I am very much thinking of matching that contribution!

Thanks go out to the local activists who have been working on the Velodrome for years now!

Stephen
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SparxFlyer View Post
    Was it Councillor Chad Collins who pledged $1000 towards the project?? I know it was one of the male councillors on the west side of the room. I am very much thinking of matching that contribution!
    It was Russ Powers (Dundas councillor).

I'm a little concerned about the one month delay. There was lots of talk about how the cycling community hadn't stepped up to champion the velodrome, and should be solely responsible for the missing monetary support. Some councillors seemed to think that in the next month, we should be able to fund raise all the missing money, and if we don't, insufficient commitment has been shown. Sigh.

On the plus side, Mohawk's involvement seems to have pushed the velodrome plans almost certainly to a permanent facility.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Check the Toronto Star front page today.