mtbr member

8 Hours of Superior Single Track?

Thinking about skipping the 8hr at Hardwood and hitting this race in Sault Ste. Marie. Has anyone done it? Thoughts?

http://www.superiorsingletrack.com/

bi-winning
    I'll be in Sault Ste. Marie on vacation next week. Unfortunately, a week too early for the race.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Looks like a good race and for a good cause too. Could be interesting to race 8 hours on some new trails.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey guys,

I'm from the Sault and can give you some info on the race. We have a pretty extensive loop of mostly singletrack located on Kinsmen property at the edge of town. The trails are pretty tight and the race will use a fair bit of dbl track to open it up a bit. Last year we did have a road crossing but it looks like this year their won't be. It cost a lot last year to have a police officer on site for the crossing all day. There aren't any significant climbs on the race loop, but it goes up and down the whole way. Mostly short steeper climbs. Their have been three new sections of singletrack built in the last couple of months, although I'm not sure if they will all be in the race. If you'd like to ride when your visiting the week prior to the race let me know and I can take you for a tour of the system. The Crystal creek loop is well marked and there are maps available at Algoma Bicycle Company or at Velorution bike shop. You can also contact someone through the saultcyclingclub.com website. It's a fun race with a very mellow vibe. The last two years their have been about 100 entrants so the race spreads out quickly and you can motor pretty good after the first lap. Their is a longer pavement climb to start so that sorts it out pretty quick. It is manual (volunteer) timing so it isn't quite like doing a summer solstice 24 hr but it works fine. No matter which category you enter you'll have some good competition, there are some very fast locals.

Jason

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jason74
    Hey guys,

I'm from the Sault and can give you some info on the race. We have a pretty extensive loop of mostly singletrack located on Kinsmen property at the edge of town. The trails are pretty tight and the race will use a fair bit of dbl track to open it up a bit. Last year we did have a road crossing but it looks like this year their won't be. It cost a lot last year to have a police officer on site for the crossing all day. There aren't any significant climbs on the race loop, but it goes up and down the whole way. Mostly short steeper climbs. Their have been three new sections of singletrack built in the last couple of months, although I'm not sure if they will all be in the race. If you'd like to ride when your visiting the week prior to the race let me know and I can take you for a tour of the system. The Crystal creek loop is well marked and there are maps available at Algoma Bicycle Company or at Velorution bike shop. You can also contact someone through the saultcyclingclub.com website.

Jason
    Hi Jason. Thanks for the info. In addition to the aforementioned vacation, I will be spending 8 months in the Sault starting in late August, so I will likely be interested in a guide at some point. I'll keep you in mind, and will definitely pick up available maps.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jason, are there any decent campgrounds close to kinsmen park?