Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Merdoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    236

    8 HOUR at Hardwood

    Surprised there's been no thread regarding the Summer 8 hour at Hardwood this weekend. Who's in?
    Rode the course on Sunday, like last year it's off Hardwood property in the Simcoe County trails. Little to no climbing on this course & they included the MBX course at the end. Really fun course. Signed up solo & have no delusions of doing well but I hope I'm not last

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    62
    8 hours of hardwood? I think you need to see a doctor, at least that's what the commercials say...

  3. #3
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    618
    I'm in on a tag team. I'm looking forward to wandering around chatting to people and occasionally riding around at a sedately fastish old guy sort of pace.
    Have you done a solo 8 before, Merdoff? I've seen you ride, I'd be surprised if you didn't do very well indeed.
    Cheers, Dave

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Merdoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    I'm in on a tag team. I'm looking forward to wandering around chatting to people and occasionally riding around at a sedately fastish old guy sort of pace.
    Have you done a solo 8 before, Merdoff? I've seen you ride, I'd be surprised if you didn't do very well indeed.
    Tag? whatever will you do with all that extra time? lol. I've never done a solo at Hardwood but have done 8hr races in the past and have done Paul's dirty 100 several times. Just looking forward to a long ride with several hundred other like minded individuals. I think the women's top 3 podium finishes are already spoken for when I see some familiar names doing it

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,567
    I too am doing tag team...This race has been a fixture on the calendar for many years and I look forward to seeing many familiar faces out there on Saturday.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    453
    Tag team here as well. Also at old fat guy pace. Weather looks good!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    ... Little to no climbing on this course & they included the MBX course at the end. Really fun course.
    I had exactly the opposite impression. I found the course hard and rather rough (riding rigid) with plenty of climbing in the second half. I am doing solo, single speed as usual.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I had exactly the opposite impression. I found the course hard and rather rough (riding rigid) with plenty of climbing in the second half. I am doing solo, single speed as usual.
    I also thought so. The course is hard and rough in sections, or new singletrack is very loose...I foresee lots of washouts.

  9. #9
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,526
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    I also thought so. The course is hard and rough in sections, or new singletrack is very loose...I foresee lots of washouts.
    Nucking Futs will be there.

    you two guys better bring your A game or else you will be CHICKED...

    i think you will be chicked anyway.
    Signature

  10. #10
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,710
    I'm sitting this one out as I am doing 6 in the Hood solo on Sunday.
    Strava made me do it....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I'm sitting this one out as I am doing 6 in the Hood solo on Sunday.
    No law against doing both, man!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Nucking Futs will be there.

    you two guys better bring your A game or else you will be CHICKED...

    i think you will be chicked anyway.
    I have no illusions of grandeur based on my gender, so I will not be surprised to be chicked...again...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Nucking Futs will be there.

    you two guys better bring your A game or else you will be CHICKED...

    i think you will be chicked anyway.
    I am afraid you are right. But that's OK, we have practice with that in the single speed category where the threat of getting chicked is all too real.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Merdoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    236
    What a great day to be out on the bike! The temps were perfect, conditions were perfect & the etiquette on the trail was the best I've ever seen.

    My only goal of the day was to reach the 100km mark which I was successful at doing. I really loved this course although I did find the last 2-3 sections of singletrack exhausting in my last few laps. Looking forward to seeing the photos from the event, lots of photogs out there

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,097

    8 HOUR at Hardwood

    Good job Merdoff, 10 laps is fantastic on this challenging course. The ladies were strong, as expected, and the winner crushed my performance.

    The single speed cat was a bit low on attendance, but I am happy I reached my personal goal of 13 laps. A spot on the podium was just icing on the cake.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

  16. #16
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    618
    A great day to be out on the bike and a great course to be racing on. I had a really good time riding and talking. It's surprising how small our community is. Everyone seems to know everyone else.
    I thought the course rocked. Not physically tough, and not too difficult, but there were definitely a couple of spots that I thought might cause pain if not ridden with, ummm, respect.
    I couldn't believe how fast some of the solos ( actually a lot of them) went out for the first few laps. Absolutely scary that some of them kept it up. Gord Ruder was unbelievable.
    Riot, I saw too much of you, I've had a word with my young teammate, he's to ride faster next time . Serious, didn't get to see much of you at all, which is the life of a solo I guess. Saw more of Merdoff, you looked good, female solo's are a strong category these days eh?
    And Uncle Oggie was there! I think when he goes we should stuff him and put him on a pedestal in the grand entrance hall at Hardwood ( we may have to do some construction )
    Cheers, Dave

  17. #17
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    What a great day to be out on the bike! The temps were perfect, conditions were perfect & the etiquette on the trail was the best I've ever seen.

    My only goal of the day was to reach the 100km mark which I was successful at doing. I really loved this course although I did find the last 2-3 sections of singletrack exhausting in my last few laps. Looking forward to seeing the photos from the event, lots of photogs out there
    you looked strong and gracious out there Mere. Congrats!!!

    yeah, the last bit of the course just before it finally starts to go down was a bit of a challenge for the legs. interesting course, for sure.

    great organization, as always...
    Signature

  18. #18
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,526
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    A great day to be out on the bike and a great course to be racing on. I had a really good time riding and talking. It's surprising how small our community is. Everyone seems to know everyone else.
    I thought the course rocked. Not physically tough, and not too difficult, but there were definitely a couple of spots that I thought might cause pain if not ridden with, ummm, respect.
    I couldn't believe how fast some of the solos ( actually a lot of them) went out for the first few laps. Absolutely scary that some of them kept it up. Gord Ruder was unbelievable.
    Riot, I saw too much of you, I've had a word with my young teammate, he's to ride faster next time . Serious, didn't get to see much of you at all, which is the life of a solo I guess. Saw more of Merdoff, you looked good, female solo's are a strong category these days eh?
    And Uncle Oggie was there! I think when he goes we should stuff him and put him on a pedestal in the grand entrance hall at Hardwood ( we may have to do some construction )
    lol stuffed Oggie... now that is cute...

    please do not make such long breaks between your appearances at such events. they are not the same without your smile.



    PS Yeah - kudos to all solos and RESPECT for Gord. was his first lap time an error? is it humanly possible? makes me proud when i manage to finish our tuesday night races and our times are in the same area code.

    shout out to Linnley too.. great race bro...
    Signature

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    A great day to be out on the bike and a great course to be racing on. I had a really good time riding and talking. It's surprising how small our community is. Everyone seems to know everyone else.
    I thought the course rocked. Not physically tough, and not too difficult, but there were definitely a couple of spots that I thought might cause pain if not ridden with, ummm, respect.
    I couldn't believe how fast some of the solos ( actually a lot of them) went out for the first few laps. Absolutely scary that some of them kept it up. Gord Ruder was unbelievable.
    Riot, I saw too much of you, I've had a word with my young teammate, he's to ride faster next time . Serious, didn't get to see much of you at all, which is the life of a solo I guess. Saw more of Merdoff, you looked good, female solo's are a strong category these days eh?
    And Uncle Oggie was there! I think when he goes we should stuff him and put him on a pedestal in the grand entrance hall at Hardwood ( we may have to do some construction )
    You saw way too much of me because you kept passing me. I need to get faster so I can someday perhaps stay a little bit in front of uncle Dave.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    PS Yeah - kudos to all solos and RESPECT for Gord. was his first lap time an error? is it humanly possible?
    A lot of the solo 1st lap times seem a bit fast. Pretty sure they were adjusted for a start in a 2nd wave at 10:05, because if you mouse over the lap time in the results it will give you the end time and they don't jive with the 10:00 start. Not that I don't think some of the solos are capable of throwing down a 25, but evidence points toward timing glitch.

    Nerding out on results may be the part of racing I missed most!

  21. #21
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    618
    There was no second wave. All the solos started at the same time as the rest of us teamies. Well except for Danny who was just a wee bit late for the start.
    Cheers, Dave

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Merdoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    236
    I think Veteran youth is correct with the 5 minute subtraction. My 1st lap showed 31 minutes which seemed too little for the somewhat leisurely pace I was carrying with the group I was with. Also a teammate of mine who was right up front at the start had her finishing time 10 seconds behind mine & I don't think I passed her even amongst that large mass start.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Merdoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    236
    Race Day Rush's photos are up & indexed!

  24. #24
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    I think Veteran youth is correct with the 5 minute subtraction.
    Ahh. Yup. You guys must be right about the time subtraction. Gord and Alex were fast but they weren't the first through that lap. The time isn't off by five minutes though. Maybe two or three minutes.
    Time to geek out on pictures.
    Cheers, Dave

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    It's surprising how small our community is.
    It's been a while since I last raced but I had a blast on Saturday.

    Unfortunately our community is on a decline because these races are no longer geared towards the average rider. Trust me, I'm a below average rider and found it hard to be on the same trail with riders 10x my speed.

    The only race I find that was growing was the Liberty Squeezer. To bad it died, but it really catered to the average MTBR. That race is what this sport needed to grow. It was the only race my friends and their friends joined because they enjoyed the course and the festival afterwards. They don't even think about joining O-cup, 24hrs or even this 8hrs event because it's too competitive very little fun (for them).

    Also what ever happened to the Durango, Ice Breaker and some of the other fun events?

    Anyways like I said my team and I had a blast and look forward to entering this event again next year.
    "By Your Command"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Epic 8-hour @ Hardwood -- First time
    By weekendthrasher in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 09:28 AM
  2. Hardwood Summer 8 Hour 2012
    By robbbby in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-08-2012, 07:19 PM
  3. faster tire choice for 8-hour hardwood hills race?
    By weekendthrasher in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 09:28 AM
  4. Stoked: one hour shaved off 7-hour race (training works!)
    By markowe in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 11:44 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •