Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

36 Hour Relay - say whaaaa?

Not yet officially announced...

I'm giving everyone on here a little preview before we officially announce it. Cycling for Hope, along with me (Mountainview races guy) is putting on a 36 hour race this summer, at Haliburton Forest and Wildlife Center. If you feel that 24 hour races are for pansies (i mean, how many thousands of people have done one?) then this is probably for you. If you want to ride your bike in the name of supporting a fantastic charitable cause, then this is probably for you. If you don't really have a reason other than you like your bicycle, then this is probably for you.

I'll post up more info once we're legit with the OCA.

Cheers..

mtbr member
    Solo category? There has to be some crazy fools (said with due respect) willing to try that?

mtbr member
    solos, 3's, 6's, and 7-12 club corporate. I also want to meet these said, crazy fools

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by tmas
    solos, 3's, 6's, and 7-12 club corporate. I also want to meet these said, crazy fools
    Why bother with 36 and go straight for 48? or 96 for that matter? Crazy people
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    what a great idea. i remember the old haliburton fat tire festivals. would be nice to see a race going on there again. hard riding, but fast.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Surely at some point organizers have to take some responsibility for such a stupid category... solo for 36hrs?

Someone will die.

veldrijder
    Not yet officially announced...
    Any chance of a date at this point?

What will the format be with respect to start/end times (I'm assuming it will be held over a weekend)?

mtbr member
    Between this morning's post, and now, we are officially up and running. July 18th (Friday night for registration until midnight or something to that effect) then the race from sunrise july 19th to 36 hours from then (approx 6pm) july 20th.

As for why 36, 48 or 96 wouldn't fit into a weekend so nicely, so this way people don't have to take time off work (unless they want to sleep in on monday)

As for solos, we'll have professional medical personel on hand, and will have some sort of testing few hours to make sure they aren't underweight or delerious.

bi-winning
    My initial response was, no thanks, not for me. But, it is only another 12h on top of a 24.

With a large team full of cool riders, I think it could be a fun weekend. It's a little far from my neck of the woods though.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    It sounds like the team categories are increased in size appropriately (i.e. a team of 3 will be like a 2-rider tag team for 24, etc) so riding time stays about the same as a 24 (unless you're doing it solo!)

I'm seriously considering this, but I had plans for the 6 Hours of Power the following weekend in Ellicottville and I don't think I will have the legs for them back to back. If I can put together a team for this race, I'm in, but if not I can race the solo 6h the following weekend.

Got a website for the race yet? Registration dates?

mtbr member
    This sounds interesting Thomas. As for solo. HMMM Not sure about that one yet.

No. Just No. Moderator
    More to love? If 24 hours is more fun than 8, then isn't 36 hours more fun than 24?

Hats off to anyone who manages to solo through this with relatively minimal stops. I've finished a couple of 24s solo where I though I had a few more hours to give, but I'll venture to say that 36 is out of my league. Then again, there's some ultra endurance self supported events in the U.S. already where the participants are logging phenomenal distance and hours for several days, or even weeks in a row so I guess anything is possible.

Hope it's a great weekend of weather for the event to set the tone for everyone having a good time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    There is something masochistically intriguing about attempting that solo. Ramp back the standard 24hr solo pace a bit, brew some coffee and away you go. I am sure a few will rise to the challenge. 'Solo and steady wins the race.'

sock puppet

a friend of mine,

lets just let him remain unnamed, asked me to ask you if you will include SOLO SINGLESPEED category... he said his weenie is big enough to win it...

i am just the messenger...

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    lets just let him remain unnamed, asked me to ask you if you will include SOLO SINGLESPEED category... he said his weenie is big enough to win it...

i am just the messenger...
    And maybe a solo freeride bike category?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    And maybe a solo freeride bike category?
    Are you poking fun at the singlespeeders?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    Are you poking fun at the singlespeeders?
    seems that way, don't it?

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    hey everyone!

the site for the race is now up at www.cyclingforhope.ca/36 - check it out, keep posting away, and spread the word!

thanks

mtbr member
    jokes, I think I'll go just to c what ppl look like finishing especially the solos

Sir Hurt Locker
    lol. that sounds like fun!
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    This sounds like fun, I'd be up for it. July is a good time to do it as well

veldrijder
    I'm nearly sure I'm in for this one

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    hi everyone,

feel free to get in touch with us if anyone has any questions! we chronically check our emails and send very long-winded replies.

there will be a lot of information and media coming out about the race in the coming weeks... we're trying to plow through things as fast as possible, but there's so much to be done.

thanks for posting about the event so far - keep it coming!

jordan
    jordan@cyclingforhope.ca

mtbr member
    So is anyone doing this?

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    So is anyone doing this?
    I registered a 3-man team, and was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately the race has just been cancelled due to lack of participants

I will probably do Hot August Nights instead, but unless I tag-team it the challenge is not the same. I was thinking that Haliburton was going to be a really cool venue as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast