Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

3 Rock or Durham Forest

Just wondering which area people tend to favor. I know you could link both together but lets just say your gonna stay in only one section.

I've rode 3 rock all season this year and only ventured into durham forest once or twice. I really like what 3 rock has to offer, but I feel now its just cause I've nailed down a really nice run.

Especially right now, which area do you prefer to ride. I'm going again tommorow so just wondering if maybe I should try out Durham Forest. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Rode Durham last night....and all I can say is perfect. If you haven't been there for a while...there are also a few new builds that are worth checking....thanks to the good folks at DMBA....

mtbr member
    If you haven't spent much time in the DF side, then you need to check it out.

I typically, start at 3 rocks, then make my way up and over to DF and ride those trails as well. However, when I don't have time for that, I will typically just start in DF because the trails there are more fun, IMHO. If you haven't done so already, go over to mikes maps http://maps.gotwisted.com/df.pdf and print of his map of DF.

I usually start from the parking lot and (going north) do, Burnt Toast, Bowes, Bowes Too, then down to the maze (the entrance opposite to Stone Soup) then over to Logs over Easy to Ogres East, then back into the maze, through stone soup, lickity split then up tower hill, over to super fly, pines, maple gravy and the maze again and work back to the Plot. If I have time, I'll do it all over again.

That route, in my view, maximizes flow and takes advantage of gravity as much as possible (with the obvious exception of tower hill, but you gotta pay the piper some time).

Enjoy!

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thewake View Post

I typically, start at 3 rocks, then make my way up and over to DF and ride those trails as well. However, when I don't have time for that, I will typically just start in DF because the trails there are more fun, IMHO. If you haven't done so already, go over to mikes maps http://maps.gotwisted.com/df.pdf and print of his map of DF.

I usually start from the parking lot and (going north) do, Burnt Toast, Bowes, Bowes Too, then down to the maze (the entrance opposite to Stone Soup) then over to Logs over Easy to Ogres East, then back into the maze, through stone soup, lickity split then up tower hill, over to super fly, pines, maple gravy and the maze again and work back to the Plot. If I have time, I'll do it all over again.

That route, in my view, maximizes flow and takes advantage of gravity as much as possible (with the obvious exception of tower hill, but you gotta pay the piper some time).

Enjoy!

Awesome!! Cant wait

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Enjoy!
    THIS!!!

I have a very similar route through Durham forest. With the addition of the new Ogre Out trail, it makes for a ride with a few different terrains to ride. I also agree with the suggestion to start at the bottom of Glen Major and ride up to Durham and do a loop and then back down. It makes for a pretty good 30+ kilometre ride with lots of climbs and OK descends.

As for quality of trail, they are both similar, but I find Durham drains better and is not as slick and messy in the wet weather. With the temps going up this weekend, it should be a good ride none the less.

Enjoy!

Goran

mtbr member
    May 2009

Enjoy!
    Agreed, that's a very good route, I usually do something similar.

I enjoy both DF and GM/WW equally. I find there's more singletrack in DF, but I like the slighly higher speeds and ability to cover a longer distance (as the crow flies) in GM/WW.

As previously stated, if time permits start at 3 rock and ride it all

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    I enjoy both DF and GM/WW equally. I find there's more singletrack in DF, but I like the slighly higher speeds and ability to cover a longer distance (as the crow flies) in GM/WW.

As previously stated, if time permits start at 3 rock and ride it all
    So I've just buzzed around DF for the past three days and I have to admit I think I couldn't have said it better about the two. So not having been in DF all summer, its a very nice way to end off the year and leave me wanting more. Fresh new trails I havent got to play on yet