Paul Thumbies or New XT Thumbshifter mounts
    Thomson seatpost

Clothing
    Gore Fusion 3/4 shorts
    Dakine Amp18
    Shift Squadron jersey
    Fox Flux Helmet
    Endura winter gloves
    Last edited by Enduramil; 12-05-2011 at 06:58 PM.

namagomi
    Wait... Ride up grades, not upgrades - wasn't it?

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I like doing both. Mercx can stuff it.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Word.

Shift Squadron jersey
    Fox Flux Helmet

Just ordered a half-closetful of clothes from those guys for about a hundred bucks.

bi-winning
    I stocked up on bike stuff at the end of the summer. No need to throw any cash at my cycling hobby this winter.

The only thing my bikes really need right now is a good washing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member

New Steed!

Incoming in just over a month. One of these (29er) with the list below to bolt on!

Drivetrain: SRAM XX
    Brakes: Marta Mag SL
    Handlebars: S-Works Flat Bar
    Frameset: S-Works Epic 29er
    Seatpost: S-Works
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom Expert
    Stem: Ritchey WCS 260
    Fork: Rockshox Sid World Cup Custom
    Wheels: Dave's SpeedDream Custom
    Tires : Schwalbe Rocket Ron
    Grips: Ergon GS1 Leichtbau

Have almost all of this...Just need wheels, tires, and grips...

Fun times!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    As Capt Sydor noted earlier. For me it's less upgrade and more simply replacing what I have ridden into the ground.

Evil Jr.
    I REALLY need a new pair of shoes. My Dominator 5s are looking pretty tired. Will probably replace with the same thing.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    Incoming in just over a month. One of these (29er) with the list below to bolt on!
    I'm a little surprised the S-Works still uses a quick release front wheel / fork. It seems many 29ers are moving towards the 15mm axles for increased stiffness.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    As Capt Sydor noted earlier. For me it's less upgrade and more simply replacing what I have ridden into the ground.
    Yes yes.. of course.

One need only look around to see much needs replacing...

No. Just No. Moderator
    Yes yes.. of course.

One need only look around to see much needs replacing...
    Hey, that whole bike over there in the corner looks kind of worn out. I think it needs to be replaced by a new upgraded model. Come to think of it, that other bike also looks a bit tired. Better replace that one too.

My off-season of acquisitions is going to be a bit on the thin side. I have a total of four bikes in my stable collected up over the years, all of which I still enjoy riding at different times. Unfortunately, I only have 3 sets of brakes that I informally rotate between the 4 bikes, always leaving one of them wanting for a set of stoppers while they get cross-cannibalized. With the addition of one new pair of brakes, I will have all the bikes operational at once for the first time in years, making the eeny meeny miny mo process when selecting what to ride a bit easier.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Hey, that whole bike over there in the corner looks kind of worn out. I think it needs to be replaced by a new upgraded model. Come to think of it, that other bike also looks a bit tired. Better replace that one too.

My off-season of acquisitions is going to be a bit on the thin side. I have a total of four bikes in my stable collected up over the years, all of which I still enjoy riding at different times. Unfortunately, I only have 3 sets of brakes that I informally rotate between the 4 bikes, always leaving one of them wanting for a set of stoppers while they get cross-cannibalized. With the addition of one new pair of brakes, I will have all the bikes operational at once for the first time in years, making the eeny meeny miny mo process when selecting what to ride a bit easier.
    Specialization is for insects... I've discovered attempting to get so specific can result in an ant hill's worth of bicycles and a lot of expensive repairs. Even then, eventually you'll have the wrong bike!

I think this year instead of acquiring i'll try and sell off some dead-weight onto craigslist or even pinkbike. Don't want the place to end up looking like Igor's

mtbr member
    This season I would like:

- new chain for mtb (2 seasons old - better to replace it now before it snaps and I loose the ability to procreate)
    - road shoes and road pedals
    - would love to replace my 3year old MTB shoes, but I don't think its in the cards unless I come across a sweet deal

No. Just No. Moderator
    Specialization is for insects... I've discovered attempting to get so specific can result in an ant hill's worth of bicycles and a lot of expensive repairs. Even then, eventually you'll have the wrong bike!
    They're old enough now that the resale value isn't worth getting rid of them. They are nice to have around for when people visit from out of town and need a loaner rig (my own friends, or even visiting friends of friends), or if some of my friends who don't have the benefit of multiple bikes are up for some significant downtime because of repairs or damage to their own bikes. No one abuses the privilege, and there's always opportunities to pay it forward back and forth.

Plus, as mentioned above I get to entertain myself with the aforementioned 10 seconds of eeny meeny miney mo.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    They're old enough now that the resale value isn't worth getting rid of them. They are nice to have around for when people visit from out of town and need a loaner rig (my own friends, or even visiting friends of friends), or if some of my friends who don't have the benefit of multiple bikes are up for some significant downtime because of repairs or damage to their own bikes. No one abuses the privilege, and there's always opportunities to pay it forward back and forth.

Plus, as mentioned above I get to entertain myself with the aforementioned 10 seconds of eeny meeny miney mo.
    Well, my concern is logistics... i would upgrade the fork and brakes on this ride, but really it's crowded already and like you say, it is a strange point where the bicycle is not worth fixing and not really worth selling and realizing the loss. Thinking might as well sell it while things are still working, though having extra bicycles around is nice.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Okay. Bar ordered.. ghloves ordered, and one pair of shorts from the nation that embraces crud, mud, and filth riding.

Evil Jr.
    Well, my concern is logistics... i would upgrade the fork and brakes on this ride, but really it's crowded already and like you say, it is a strange point where the bicycle is not worth fixing and not really worth selling and realizing the loss. Thinking might as well sell it while things are still working, though having extra bicycles around is nice.
    I find the idea of selling a bike nearly inconceivable. I've never willingly parted with one.

Having said that, space is getting tight around here...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    like you say, it is a strange point where the bicycle is not worth fixing and not really worth selling and realizing the loss.
    The bikes are all mechanically sound, kitted out nicely even by current standards, and ready to ride (with the exception of the one missing set of brakes) so no problems there. However, a couple of the frames are creeping toward 10 years of age, and no one is really interested in looking at bikes with frames that old for any meaningful resale price unless they have some vintage/collector status, which mine don't.

Thinking might as well sell it while things are still working, though having extra bicycles around is nice.
    It's easy for a year or two to slip by and suddenly you're past the point of decent resale value. Sell, sell, sell !!!

mtbr member
    Selling bikes sucks. I dislike having bike stuff exit my procession unless its being fulfilled by other stuff (like a trade).
    3 bikes sold in the last 1.5 years though Moving to an apartment cramped my style

bi-winning
    I've only sold two bikes in about a decade of riding. A worn out department store mountain bike, and an old steel roadbike with a flatbar. Both were pretty easy to let go of.

My mountain bikes tend to get ridden until they break.

Shorthills Cycling Club

sheep in FOX clothing
    The last five bikes that have left my possession did so through ...curbside pick-up. All were bought new.

That is my "resale value" in a nutshell.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I find the idea of selling a bike nearly inconceivable. I've never willingly parted with one.

Having said that, space is getting tight around here...
    You could always sell a car...

Nice day for a ride.....
    I've already started collecting my upgrades for the season.

Still need to add a 10 speed chain, some new 29er wheels, Enduro seals, and I'd like some leather bar wrap for my touring bike...... Santa, are you listening?

mtbr member
    Only upgrade for me this year will be my commuter drive train. After probably 6-7k of miserable miles over 3 years, it finally started slipping this past weekend. All the teeth are nice and pointy. Maybe some brakes pads.

Then again, given I'm closer to work now with no escarpment climb, a belt drive singlespeed would be nice!

Beyond that, I had a huge flurry of replacing worn out bikes in the past 1.5 years while also acquiring lots of accessories. Accessories I tend to keep for a while till they are falling apart. I have shoes from 1999 I was still using for specific purposes last year.

So, money this year will go towards cycling related travel possibly.

Edit: Race tires and tires in general. I've ridden almost exclusively since Sept 07 on a set of Specialized Fast tracks and Hutchison Pythons, with no lack of riding. They both started as fast rolling tires, they are pure slicks now.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    You could always sell a car...
    Bah, the basement currently only has one bike in it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast