Team NFI
    Mar 2007

2012 Trialsin Challenge

Let's have a little fun this year.

Inspired by discussion threads from last year and Raganwald thought it would be fun to have a bit of a online challenge. Also a article in the recent issue of MBUK. The object of this being to ride new lines and improve your skills.

You don't have to ride anything 5 feet up. Just pick

The Rules,- note subject to change as needed.

1. Bike must be a normal rideable mountain bike.

2. Wheelsize minimum is 26 inch.

3. Clipless is tolerable

4. Pic's must be shared.

5. In the interest of safety..please pre walk any section you are about to attempt.

6. Natural terrain no urban stuff. Ladder bridges and such are okay.

TeamNFI: Trialsin

Last edited by Enduramil; 05-11-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I don't have any photos of myself doing trials type stuff from this year, so this one from late last fall will have to do for now.

Doing rear wheel hops on the rocks so my photographer can get a nicely framed shot

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Maddog
    Jan 2010
    Remember seeing this thread earlier this year.

When the trails are wet we go out "Rock Crawling" We definitely have a long way to go with our skills but we have improved a lot and we keep on trying harder stuff. Most of all it is just really fun.

Now I don't know if some of this stuff fits the Trialsin challenge as point #6 would be debatable. Most of the stuff we are riding are rocks and concrete dumped and then overgrown.

Morgan and I made a video from our Wednesday ride this week. This is in the centre area of the Robin Hood property in Port Colborne. There is a motor cycle trials competition on this property every spring that draws people from all over (Northern US, Eastern Canada) They do some of these same areas but also go over more extreme stuff

Mountain Bike Trials and Rock Crawling in the Hood - YouTube

mtbr member
    I don't want to come off as a dick nitpicking this and that, but that is not really trials riding. That's nice technical riding. The biggest difference is that typically you do not roll over stuff in trials. You are engaging obstacles that require a "pedal kick" typically you are trying to get on and off stuff that is too high to roll up or down. That's where the trials techniques come in. You are also trying to gap obstacles. That may also describe free riding, but in trials, moves are primarily done for very close range or from static positions. I tried riding Trials for 3 years on and off with very modest results as far as trials go, but incredibly helpful in XC/all mountain riding.
    Just for kicks, come up to a bench or rock that is around 20-24" high and stop about 3 ft from the obstacle and remain static. From that distance ride up the obstacle. That should give you an idea of the rudimentary ride up move from trials and illustrate the difference from good technical riding to a trials riding move.

Some say that you do not ride trials until you can get on your back wheel and hop there for a while.

Maddog
    Jan 2010
    Totally realize what we are doing is not really "trials" That's why we call it more like "rock crawling". We are slowly trying to learn some trials skills but really we are just a bunch of old guys having fun.

Thought Enduramil's thread was:

"Let's have a little fun this year.

Inspired by discussion threads from last year and Raganwald thought it would be fun to have a bit of a online challenge. Also a article in the recent issue of MBUK. The object of this being to ride new lines and improve your skills."

Maddog
    Jan 2010
    Took the "Trials" out of the title of the video.
    Trials riding is really incredible to watch. There is a local motorcycle trials rider that comes out on a mountain bike sometimes. I've seen him ride up wet slippery trails in the winter with bald tires when we were having trouble with spiked tires. These techniques you describe certainly do help with cross country riding.

mtbr member
    I am an old guy too, and the trials bike beat me up a bit too much. Used to get together with bunch of guys in Port Credit (Mississauga) on Sundays. Trevor Bodogh and Carsinn Wilson from the Meta team would come down and really show you how it's done. There was also a Bash at the Beaches event where trials riders would come down to Asbridge's Bay over a weekend for a comp. The sport seems to be dying down in its pure form it seems. Lots of guys going the Danny Mac route or melding it with BMX and street; some are getting trials friendly trail bikes and taking it to the XC trails.