-travel stays closer to home as the economy stagnates
    -long travel bikes make a comeback
    -bike parks become more excepted and mainstream
    -bike culture outside of racing grows
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

No. Just No. Moderator
    A very consistent summary below of what you want to have happen, as compared to your previous posts.

I have no similar predictions, but I hope everyone just enjoys whatever type(s) of riding they choose to participate in. If they decide to shift their time from one type of riding activity to another because that's what they feel like, nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    -increase of multi-use trails being built
    -more features being excepted
    -increased number of cyclists
    -xc racing will decrease to smaller venues, less money to be had
    -more underground races/events
    -new riding areas being developed
    -imba becomes less important
    -dirt features become more popular
    -travel stays closer to home as the economy stagnates

Evil Jr.
    (...)
    -more features being excepted
    (...)
    (...)
    Psst, I think you mean "accepted". What you wrote is really quite different.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Any trends to back this up??

What about the popularity of point to point races and grand fondo's?? Trends seem to support the growth there. Ride to Conquer Cancer is getting large enough that they are adding an alternative route for next year, now I know that is not mtb but you also say there will be an increase in biking culture and no matter how you look at it large group rides and racing are a part of bike culture. I have met a lot of people who were introduced to cycling though the ride to Conquer Cancer and continued after.

Talking to a shop out in Calgary the other big trend is that office workers are replacing golf with biking, whither it is road or mountain riding, I see this as a trend that is going to grow quite a bit in eastern Canada as well.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Everything trends up-and-down and it is not necessarily the same way across North America. Mountain biking has certainly seen a downward trend over the past few years, mostly due to an aging population and the economy. Those with money have spent more of it on road cycling, hence the success of the Gran Fondo or charity ride.

From our standpoint this is what we see going forward:

More youth getting involved in mountain bike racing. It has definitely seen a large increase over the past few seasons. Mountain bike racing and riding is very much a family-oriented sport in this province (very different from road racing), and there has been an increase in clubs getting youth involved in mountain biking.

Many past mountain bikers will reconnect with the sport, and do a bit less road cycling. Dual suspension, carbon 29ers and more sustainable trail design has meant mountain biking is less back-breaking than it was a few years ago. This opens it back up to many who were lured to road cycling as their new cycling activity.

Certainly I think free-riding is going to continue to maintain in popluarity out west, but in Ontario x-country mountain biking will continue to lead by a massive margin. Out west mountain biking is more like downhill skiing, while in Ontario it is more like x-country. X-country racing has a very small
    following out west, similarly freeriding has a small following in Ontario.

I do think the 20 somethings as somewhat of a lost market, they have less money to spend as ever, and more of it is spent on technology. If they have a job chances are they are working harder for less... This is where the obstacle runs are seeing a huge growth, no equipment required!

I am all for more terrain parks, trails and access to the sport for a wide range of ability levels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I liked the idea that as a trend, the distance people are willing to drive for a ride might be decreasing. I don't think most people properly value their driving cost: 30-50 cents/km, plus the time behind the wheel valued at the same rate as your hourly salary/wage. But, awareness of that is coming around slowly. We've gone off on a bit of a tangent with the recent excessive focus on fuel economy in the new small cars, but it's a start.

If you agree with that, I think it really says that the sport needs new facilities/trail systems for growth. Those are leading indicators of any possible growth. What do we have on the horizon right now?

As far as growth in culture goes, I think the only realistic prospects for significant growth are in bike commuting culture; the junior element of the culture trinity after road and mtb.

Good topic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Chico, you haven't lost this 20-something. I'm new to racing in the past couple of years and I love it. I'll be back this season provided I can get over a recent injury.

I have no predictions but I can say that mountain biking - mainly short travel xc - is making an upward trend in my area (northern Ontario). There seems to be a greater number of people making the trip down to the races every year, despite the increased cost of lodging for the night. For 2012, look for even more racers from the boonies of the north.. some of them may even be 20-somethings!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    local 2 and 3 day stage racing....grassroots style.

[really, it's what i want to see ]

edit - and I know i'm not in E Canada....it's an interesting thread
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Evil Jr.
    On the equipment side, I'd expect CX bikes to keep gaining ground. They used to be a niche item but more and more people seem to be discovering the joys of mixed-surface riding in Eastern Canada.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    On the equipment side, I'd expect CX bikes to keep gaining ground. They used to be a niche item but more and more people seem to be discovering the joys of mixed-surface riding in Eastern Canada.
    I think Ontario has more potential for mixed-surface cx bike riding than it does for DH and FR.

namagomi
    Schism of XC / AM growing larger than ever as the fitness crowd continues to grow. The latter people label fire-road and double-track riding as epic mountain biking. many groans.

AM growing larger as XC riders who no longer feel challenged jump ship or buy massive travel bikes to plow the trail.

New 26" hardtail even harder to find.
    9sp high end part production cut.
    Decreased participation in racing series due to entry fee and travel.
    Copeland gets fixed and is even more fun.
    High park doesn't get a bike park... ford nation strikes.
    Long travel bikes get lighter.
    Carbon fiber gets to be almost affordable.
    29r travel gets taken to the max and some really rotten designs are marketed.
    Everybody decides they need a dropper post.

Albion is converted to a ****ing massive baby smooth pumptrack with gigantic tabletops and a 24" trend starts

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post

New 26" hardtail even harder to find.
    9sp high end part production cut.
    Decreased participation in racing series due to entry fee and travel.
    Long travel bikes get lighter.
    Carbon fiber gets to be almost affordable.
    29r travel gets taken to the max and some really rotten designs are marketed.
    Everybody decides they need a dropper post.
    Those trends are everywhere not just Eastern Canada.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Albion is converted to a ****ing massive baby smooth pumptrack with gigantic tabletops and a 24" trend starts
    I think I'd last all of two laps of a solo if that ever happened. Although it does bring back fond memories of racing at Raystown in Pennsylvania...

I once challenged Mark Summers to an "endurance" pump track race at Ray's in Cleveland. After 21 laps, we called a truce and limped back to the lounge to scarf down mass quantities of pizza.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Bicycle derby on pumptracks. I saw a video of a couple of my friends going at it with contact on the Joyride pumptrack, I was just waiting for one of them to get sent flying off the track.

humber river advocate
    now now don't shot the messenger, one could also say the other camp is prissy because it does not meet their "consistent summary" of predictions. though same time next year would be the acid test

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    A very consistent summary below of what you want to have happen, as compared to your previous posts.

I have no similar predictions, but I hope everyone just enjoys whatever type(s) of riding they choose to participate in. If they decide to shift their time from one type of riding activity to another because that's what they feel like, nothing wrong with that.
    Support TORBA

humber river advocate
    nah, i think it would work in the context/tone of this forum
    Support TORBA

humber river advocate
    when i think about ontario i think about dirt jumping... you can do it anywhere, you don't need a car to get to a venue... you don't need the oca... you don't have to pay fees, all you have to do is dig...

i wouldn't say it is just road cycling but more as the bicycle as a viable form of transportation...

Quote Originally Posted by chicoracing View Post
    Everything trends up-and-down and it is not necessarily the same way across North America. Mountain biking has certainly seen a downward trend over the past few years, mostly due to an aging population and the economy. Those with money have spent more of it on road cycling, hence the success of the Gran Fondo or charity ride.

From our standpoint this is what we see going forward:

More youth getting involved in mountain bike racing. It has definitely seen a large increase over the past few seasons. Mountain bike racing and riding is very much a family-oriented sport in this province (very different from road racing), and there has been an increase in clubs getting youth involved in mountain biking.

Many past mountain bikers will reconnect with the sport, and do a bit less road cycling. Dual suspension, carbon 29ers and more sustainable trail design has meant mountain biking is less back-breaking than it was a few years ago. This opens it back up to many who were lured to road cycling as their new cycling activity.

Certainly I think free-riding is going to continue to maintain in popluarity out west, but in Ontario x-country mountain biking will continue to lead by a massive margin. Out west mountain biking is more like downhill skiing, while in Ontario it is more like x-country. X-country racing has a very small
    following out west, similarly freeriding has a small following in Ontario.

I do think the 20 somethings as somewhat of a lost market, they have less money to spend as ever, and more of it is spent on technology. If they have a job chances are they are working harder for less... This is where the obstacle runs are seeing a huge growth, no equipment required!

I am all for more terrain parks, trails and access to the sport for a wide range of ability levels.
    Support TORBA

No. Just No. Moderator
    now now don't shot the messenger, one could also say the other camp is prissy because it does not meet their "consistent summary" of predictions. though same time next year would be the acid test
    As mentioned, I have no predictions. However, I would be happy if all the following are realized in 2012;

-increase of multi-use trails being built
    -more features being accepted
    -increased number of cyclists
    -xc racing and all other forms of racing increase in popularity
    -more underground races/events
    -new riding areas being developed
    -imba and like minded people find opportunities to work together, and that others who don't want/need imba's help are successful with their projects also
    -dirt features become more popular
    -riders find more hidden gems locally + economy makes huge comeback!
    -bike parks become more accepted and mainstream

namagomi
    I think I'd last all of two laps of a solo if that ever happened. Although it does bring back fond memories of racing at Raystown in Pennsylvania...

I once challenged Mark Summers to an "endurance" pump track race at Ray's in Cleveland. After 21 laps, we called a truce and limped back to the lounge to scarf down mass quantities of pizza.
    So, you're saying it will be awesome... no chains will be allowed either.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    The Joseph Stalin of spelling has spoken.

mtbr member
    2012 predictions
    More Fatbikes. With more bike and tire choices and with the cost coming way down, i think more people will get off the trainer and get out in the snow for a winter adventure. what "off season"??

Chico racing introduces a duathalon,combining their historic mountainbike races with their new trail running races.

Organized group rides (eg. Tour de Buttertart)etc..

36hr mountain bike race
    Adam

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I predict that Suntour will buy out Marzocchi's MTB division.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hustler View Post

Chico racing introduces a duathalon,combining their historic mountainbike races with their new trail running races.
    Good idea as there is no competition from C3 in Caledon for this type of event. Plus it would provide entertainment value to me watching mtb racers trying to run 5 k successfully of the bike.

Sadly..off road duathlons and tri's don't last very long in Canada.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 12-09-2011 at 08:05 PM.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hustler View Post
    2012 predictions
    What's old is new again! Chico held a trail duathalon event in Durham forest for a couple of years over a decade ago, but it didn't really take off in popularity. Might be time to give it another try?

Not being a runner, the 3km start run + 7km finishing run at what was my fastest pace left me feeling it in the quads a bit for a couple of days afterwards, to say the least.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post

Not being a runner, the 3km start run + 7km finishing run at what was my fastest pace left me feeling it in the quads a bit for a couple of days afterwards, to say the least.
    .Hmmmm... I detect a new challenge.

mtbr member
    I would really like to see more off road due's and tri's. I have either the xterra in canmore or the tri in Milton on the plans for next year. The running has started now I just need to get back into the pool.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast