Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sock puppet

2012 Crank the Shield

Less than a year to go. Anyone registered?
    Who's in?

Evil Jr.
    I am tentatively, long-range, crossed-fingers in but probably won't register until Spring.

There's a two-day option this year!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    In a perfect world I'd like to go, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. Obviously a more complex and costly venture for me coming from the west coast.

After an entire summer - including a gorgeous August and early September - of riding all missed from a dumb (big) toe injury, I'd just like to be back on my bike in the general sense and am nowhere near thinking about future races yet.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I'm in.

Was hoping they were going to run it this year.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Lemmy Rules!
    I'm probably out for next year. Can have just as good fun doing the Paul's 100k, without pushing my bike thru waist-deep bogs.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Less than a year to go. Anyone registered?
    Who's in?
    Likely in...For a number of reasons in no particular order below...

1. Personal challenge
    2. A target all summer to keep training at a high level
    3. The epic 3-5 hour days followed by a couple of pops and great food and friends
    4. Riding of terrain and areas that you only ride during this bike race that pass through hunt camps, endless hydrocut climbs, and descents that have you wondering how you made it down at those stupid speeds. Like last year on the road into Minden hitting 84 km/h on my mtb...I haven't even gone that fast on my road bike.
    5. Meeting more great folks in the mtb community, racers and volunteers.

My body is telling me that the two day option is very enticing. However, we'll see as the training volume should support three days of fun.

Now Circlip, you have lots of time to consider doing this one before a year from now. Not registered for a while, but likely penciling it on the calendar.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I'm probably out for next year. Can have just as good fun doing the Paul's 100k, without pushing my bike thru waist-deep bogs.
    As fate would have it, this year has been one of the driest, warmest & sunniest in the area for many years! You might find the odd ankle deep bog!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    As fate would have it, this year has been one of the driest, warmest & sunniest in the area for many years! You might find the odd ankle deep bog!
    I spoke to Chico about his after last years race, and he eluded to trying to develop some trails to make it less about bog hopping and more about staying on the bike. Also, less hike a bike in some spots too. I won't speak on his behalf if I didn't already, but I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some trail development that we are not aware of quite yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm in! Have not registered yet but will do so in the coming weeks in order to keep me motivated for some serious training over the winter! Can't wait to cross this one off the bucket list!

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Registered. MIxed team!! Hoping to not be clearly the weakest link.

Now, do I have to start training at some point?
    Jouko

namagomi
    You're supposed to carry that bike over your head! (who wants to clean those bearings) It's too bad these events are on the same weekend as i find myself desiring to collect all of those socks. Perhaps a strange fetish is developing.

What is the difference between a 2-day or 3-day? Seems like the course goes in a largish loop?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Probably doing it again. Unless we have a wet spring like last year. I've done my share of bogging.
    2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross
    Sram Red
    Syncros Carbon Wheelset

2014 Lapierre ProRace 729

I am employed by a bike shop.

sock puppet
    I registered this afternoon. Bogs or no bogs, I don't care. It is same for everyone and it will be fun. Both on and off the course. Cant wait to put a farting cabin gang together again. Might entertain a team as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    What is the difference between a 2-day or 3-day? Seems like the course goes in a largish loop?
    The course is generally a giant triangle.

I'm not sure how the 2-day option works. Maybe a shuttle to the start of Day 2?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'm about 93% in for next year. Would prefer to do it as a team so I'll search for a like minded individual.

Currently accepting resumes.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Now, do I have to start training at some point?
    Stocking up on Scotch starting this week!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    The course is generally a giant triangle.

I'm not sure how the 2-day option works. Maybe a shuttle to the start of Day 2?
    it used to be a triangle. now we are staying in camp pine for 2 nights, no?

which is the way i really like. it'll be more fun. we should have a "rest day" too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am in for the 3 day...and yes it appears that both nights are at white pine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I haven't registered yet but since I've done the last 3 years, I figure it's too late to stop now

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflepig View Post
    I haven't registered yet but since I've done the last 3 years, I figure it's too late to stop now
    Yep. That would be truly uncivilized.
    Welcome again.

Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Yep. That would be truly uncivilized.
    Welcome again.

Mama raised me to be civilized. Maybe this time I can keep my ankles from exploding like the last 2 years

Lemmy Rules!
    I will be better prepared for this year with my training, as I will know to spend less time actually riding my bike, and more time pushing it through waist-deep swamps.

(edit - I just realized I made this joke already once on this thread. My bad - sorry)
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm modifying my shoes with flippers and little duckies for my arms, I'll paint them black so that it's still manly

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflepig View Post
    I'm modifying my shoes with flippers and little duckies for my arms, I'll paint them black so that it's still manly
    One of the most surreal and memorable moments of my CTS 2010 was coming around a corner on day 1 and seeing a large lake stretching in front of me about 100' in each direction, and the trail emerging out of the other side of the lake. Apparently, there was a beaver dam which the ATV'ers usually remove, but had not done so on this particular year.

So the only way across is through the lake caused by the beaver dam. On the other side of the lake are two guys on ATV's drinking king cans of Molson Ex taking bets between themselves on how far each rider is going to make it before going down and getting completely soaked. I set off into the lake and very quickly my bike is submerged past the top tube. Redneck #1 is yelling "keep to the left" while redneck #2 is yelling "no, don't listen to him. Keep to the right". I decided out of sheer petulance to go straight down the middle of the trail and made it about 3/4 of the way across before hitting a massive boulder (which I presume the rednecks strategically placed there for their amusement) and going over the handlebars in a massive splash. I consider myself lucky I was able to find my bike and keep going.

So yeah, clearly flippers and duckies are the way to go....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    One of the most surreal and memorable moments of my CTS 2010 was coming around a corner on day 1 and seeing a large lake stretching in front of me about 100' in each direction, and the trail emerging out of the other side of the lake. Apparently, there was a beaver dam which the ATV'ers usually remove, but had not done so on this particular year.

So the only way across is through the lake caused by the beaver dam. On the other side of the lake are two guys on ATV's drinking king cans of Molson Ex taking bets between themselves on how far each rider is going to make it before going down and getting completely soaked. I set off into the lake and very quickly my bike is submerged past the top tube. Redneck #1 is yelling "keep to the left" while redneck #2 is yelling "no, don't listen to him. Keep to the right". I decided out of sheer petulance to go straight down the middle of the trail and made it about 3/4 of the way across before hitting a massive boulder (which I presume the rednecks strategically placed there for their amusement) and going over the handlebars in a massive splash. I consider myself lucky I was able to find my bike and keep going.

So yeah, clearly flippers and duckies are the way to go....
    Did you go the wrong way on this part of the course? I can't recall any lake excursions last year save for some two foot deep puddle jumping in the hydro cut. Submerged past the top tube? No wonder you are going to pass on the 2012 version!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast