Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Listen! 2009 Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Squeezer

This is the official 2009 Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Squeezer thread.
    The event takes place on Sunday 27 September 2009, in St.Catharines, Ontario.
    Check the site for details...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I like the slogan/logo for this year. Hopefully it won't be wet like Lake to Lake, and I won't get stuck in the middle with you.

Still going to have the Elite A wave?

bi-winning
    Grapes!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

dirt roadie
    Yay!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    I like the slogan/logo for this year. Hopefully it won't be wet like Lake to Lake, and I won't get stuck in the middle with you.

Still going to have the Elite A wave?
    Yes, we plan to have an A-level start again this year. It was such a huge success last year. It was so exciting; everyone loved it. We will also be separating the B, C and D waves to make them a little smaller. There are a few changes in the works.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Whoo hoo!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    SWEET!!!! Looking forward to this one - that's for sure.
    The new logo is pretty awesome too. Good stuff.
    Cheers

mtbr member

Divided Waves sounds GREAT

I love the idea of the split waves.
    There were a few bottlenecks last year that should be remedied by this, like from the pond up behind the fire station (sorry don't know the new trail name yet).
    MikeGa

Either riding or Thinking of Riding... The madness of MTB, I love it!

All my faucets is Moen.
    5 person team competition? Cool.

I wonder how they will decide the wave splits. I don't think it will matter, there will still be bottlenecks, its unavoidable. Personally I think that is a part of racing.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to my second Squeezer!
    Does anyone know if organizers change the route much? I've heard that the direction changes from year to the next. If so, I would like to pre-ride the course that way.
    [SIZE="1"]El Chupacabra doesn't believe in you either![/SIZE]

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Chupacabra
    Looking forward to my second Squeezer!
    Does anyone know if organizers change the route much? I've heard that the direction changes from year to the next. If so, I would like to pre-ride the course that way.
    The organizers may drop subtle hints, but the course is never revealed before the race.

Personally, I don't expect any direction change. Things have been working pretty well the last couple years.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member

Online Registration Open

We have (finally) opened Online Registration for Squeezer 2009. This year, waves are capped, and so is total participation. So, enter before your chosen wave is full. Information about the event is posted online. Good luck!

mtbr member
    WICKED!! It's going to be a great race as always. I loved the elite wave last year and plan to try my hand in that again this year.

Can't wait!
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

dirt roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    I loved the elite wave last year and plan to try my hand in that again this year.
    I might give the elite wave a whirl as well. Who knows, I might just give you some competition there Dan
    I'm banking on being a weasel and using the road climbs to my advantage. And just to bother you, I won't be eating any hamburgers prior to the race.

mtbr member

B or C wave

I am pondering on what group to register for.
    Last year Squeezer was my first ever mtb race; I was in wave C and finished in 1:40. But I felt i was held back by slow riders in front of me on several occasions. And i hammered up on all the hills and nobody passed me. So I consider myself a fast novice.
    This year I have been training on the road quite a bit and think that my fitness level should be better than last year; my personal goal is to do the course under 1:30.

So my question to you, my fellow racers: what wave should i register for?
    (1) still go with C but hammer down out of the gate trying to beat most of the slower riders before the singletrack, or
    (2) start in B and let faster riders pass me and then go with my own pace?
    [SIZE="1"]El Chupacabra doesn't believe in you either![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Chupacabra

So my question to you, my fellow racers: what wave should i register for?
    (1) still go with C but hammer down out of the gate trying to beat most of the slower riders before the singletrack, or
    (2) start in B and let faster riders pass me and then go with my own pace?

Depends if you can hammer down out of the gate or if you take a while to get warmed up / up to speed.

If you take a while to warm up, then start in B, and just start out in the back. Then you don't bother anyone, right? And you can still chase.

Also depends if you like chasing or being chased.... what helps you go fastest?

Just my 2 cents....

All my faucets is Moen.
    Personally I'd rather be at the front of a wave. I think you should start 2nd row 'C'. That's where I started last year and as long as you stay with the front pack drafting you can go into the ST 10th to 20th. You don't have to hammer if you're just sitting on a wheel and you won't be gassed early. There will be a little bottleneck but it won't be to bad.

Besides there is a lot of room to pass in the first half of the race. The only thing to worry about is the entrance into the first single track section.

Or compromise and start in B2.

mtbr member
    My second Squeezer this year as well. I am using the same strategy i used last year. Starting a wave slower than i think i should, that way i should not have anyone breathing down my neck too much. I will just try to start at the front of the wave (E!). I managed 1:56 last year. I too have been doing a lot of roadwork this year, so i hope to knock of 10-15 minutes and move into the top ten in teh Double Magnum class.

I think a lot of the people pick a wave too fast for them. I think doing the opposite works best for me, I dont like feeling like i am holding people up, and would rather chase/pass then be passed constantly.
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)

Happy Mojo Rider
    It's the day after the Fall 8 Hour so I'm not sure if I'm going to make it, would have loved to go in it but wish it was another weekend.

rad to the power of sick
    Count me in!

Cash prizes eh... giggity giggty

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Squeezer Clothing Design + Start Groups/Waves

RegattaSport is manufacturing a fantastic jersey for us, for this year's Squeezer. The mock-up is here. Check it out and let us know what you think. The T-Shirts will also feature our "Three-Sign" Wine-Route inspired graphic. Pre-production samples look cool.

Also, a few participants are having a really tough time deciding which Group and Wave to select. We really recommend basing your choice on your ability -- and not overstating. There is no value in selecting a wave that is beyond your ability... In fact, it will even slow you down. Once you get bogged down and passed by people faster than you, there may be long delays before you can get back on your bike and recover your position. It is safer and faster to place yourself in a group of riders of a similar ability. Plus, you won't have to deal with the evil stares and questioning looks of those around you who will be wondering what you are doing in their Group (and Wave.) Do everyone a favour and be smart about your choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kgwisdek
    RegattaSport is manufacturing a fantastic jersey for us, for this year's Squeezer. The mock-up is here. Check it out and let us know what you think. The T-Shirts will also feature our "Three-Sign" Wine-Route inspired graphic. Pre-production samples look cool.

Also, a few participants are having a really tough time deciding which Group and Wave to select. We really recommend basing your choice on your ability -- and not overstating. There is no value in selecting a wave that is beyond your ability... In fact, it will even slow you down. Once you get bogged down and passed by people faster than you, there may be long delays before you can get back on your bike and recover your position. It is safer and faster to place yourself in a group of riders of a similar ability. Plus, you won't have to deal with the evil stares and questioning looks of those around you who will be wondering what you are doing in their Group (and Wave.) Do everyone a favour and be smart about your choice.

Last years jerseys were made by Sugoi and the sizing was a bit on the small side. I just purchased a Hot August Nights jersey one size larger (XXL!) and it is even smaller. Any way to try and help us with the sizing? Seems that they are all over the map.
    Thanks!

Looking forward to this years race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbster1966
    Last years jerseys were made by Sugoi and the sizing was a bit on the small side. I just purchased a Hot August Nights jersey one size larger (XXL!) and it is even smaller. Any way to try and help us with the sizing? Seems that they are all over the map.
    Thanks!

Looking forward to this years race.
    Here is the sizing grid in inches:
    MEN'S
    SIZES S M L XL 2XL
    CHEST 40 42 44 46 48
    FRONT LENGTH FROM SHOULDER 24 25 26 27 28 (S to 2XL)
    SLEEVE LENGTH FROM CB NECK 17 1/2 18 18 1/2 19 19 1/2 (S to 2XL)

WOMEN'S
    SIZES XS S M L XL
    CHEST 35 37 39 41 43
    FRONT LENGTH FROM SHOULDER 23 1/2 24 24 1/2 25 25 1/2 (XS to XL)
    SLEEVE LENGTH FROM CB NECK 14 14 1/2 15 15 1/2 16 (XS to XL)
    **SLEEVE LENGTH FROM CB NECK: MEASURE FROM TOP OF SPINE, ACROSS SHOULDER & DOWN TOP OF ARM.

Now, my own comparison shows that these numbers are larger than those of Sugoi per size. That would indicate they are much roomier... But, the RS jerseys are raglan-sleeve cut, instead of set-sleeve, which makes a fit difference. In reality, I have found them only slightly roomier than Sugoi jerseys, with a slightly narrower sleeve, per size. So, to recap: Slightly roomier and longer in the torso, but with a slightly tighter sleeve than last year's Sugoi Squeezer Jersey... (This applies to the men's version...)
    KG

mtbr member
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Regatta sport is a sponsor for our team and our Trail Hogs jersey are from them. I am 200lbs and wear an XL short and long sleeve and they both fit snug. Hope that help. By the way Kurt, Squeezer jersey look great...good job

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast