Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Easy enough. Just allow a bunch of those ebikes mentioned in the article above on to the trails. In about a year you'll have your example.
    Right, no actual examples of this happening. Just fear that it may happen. Thank you for confirming my point.

I think the pot is calling the kettle black. Here is another example of "purists" threatening trail access. It has nothing to do with the type of bike, just the bad decisions that riders sometimes make: https://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...levation-trail

Have great rides!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridenomatterwhat View Post
    You're right, eMTBs are something different, which is why it's wrong to lump them in with motorized vehicles.
    But ok to lump them with bicycles? As a rider I get lumped with cars, trucks, hikers and horses all the time but I don't complain.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Meanwhile, NEMBA is fearmongering about access being endangered by eMTBs
    No, they're simply saying 'we're not interested in advocating for something we're not interested in'. Enough with the paranoia.

How much time have you spent in actual conversations with land managers / powers that be regarding creating and opening more bike trails? How many trail builds have you personally spearheaded? Curious as to where you came up with this idea that all of a sudden declaring 'mountain bikes have motors now, deal with it' is going to go over like anything other than a fart in church. My local trail system NEVER would have been approved if there was even a hint of allowing motors of any sort. We barely got bikes allowed, and the biggest selling point was 'non-motorized, human powered, passive recreation'. Distinguishing ourselves from motorized user groups has taken a long time and we've reaped a ton of rewards from it. Anybody that knows anything about trail creation in New England knows this to be true.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

10,000,000 Watts
    If I lived in MA, thereís no way Iíd own a emtb, a road one for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    But ok to lump them with bicycles? As a rider I get lumped with cars, trucks, hikers and horses all the time but I don't complain.
    Let's see. It looks like a bicycle (not a horse, not a jeep), you pedal it like a bicycle, it performs similarly to a bicycle, it is sold by bicycle shops, and many of them are made by the companies that already manufacture: Bicycles! Yep, I'd lump it in with bicycles.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you get lumped in with "cars, trucks, hikers and horses all the time." Are you encountering cars on your favorite single track? Is someone trying to prevent you from idling for more than 5 minutes? Are you required to have windshield wipers? Are you leaving manure in the trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    If I lived in MA, thereís no way Iíd own a emtb, a road one for sure.
    Eh...you could make it work. There's almost no legal motorized access to public land, but somehow we manage to get regular use out of our motos.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by notb View Post
    Lake Tahoe Nevada state park http://parks.nv.gov/forms/Spooner_backcountry_map.pdf

Not sure if upper Corral and Sidewinder allow motos in South Lake.
    The only trails on that map one is allowed to ride an ebike is on the OHV trails. I said I did not know how far away it would be for me to get to a non-motorized trail that allows ebikes. There are a ton of trails that allow motorized vehicles up in my area which are a blast.... on a moto. You could ride your ebike on those, or actually have some real fun on those trails and take a moto.

mtbr member
    Let's see. It looks like a bicycle (not a horse, not a jeep), you pedal it like a bicycle, it performs similarly to a bicycle, it is sold by bicycle shops, and many of them are made by the companies that already manufacture: Bicycles! Yep, I'd lump it in with bicycles.

A class 2 e-bike looks like a class 1, performs similarly to a class 1, is sold in shops that sell class 1, etc. Are those therefore lumped in with bicycles too?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you get lumped in with "cars, trucks, hikers and horses all the time." Are you encountering cars on your favorite single track? Is someone trying to prevent you from idling for more than 5 minutes? Are you required to have windshield wipers? Are you leaving manure in the trail?

I ride road too and have to abide the same rules as cars do.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Your Best Friend
    These threads are just ridiculous and never change anyone's minds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12