Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    91

    What are manufacturers doing for trail access?

    Does anyone know if major MTB manufacturers who have eMTBs in their lineup (Specialized being the big one) are actively doing anything for trail access?

    Specialized is based in Morgan Hill and IMHO should be involved in this throughout the state of California. I'm curious to know if they're doing anything, and if so, what.

    Also curious to know if they have any action plans for their rogue competitors, e.g. Stealth.

  2. #2
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,888
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    Does anyone know if major MTB manufacturers who have eMTBs in their lineup (Specialized being the big one) are actively doing anything for trail access?

    Specialized is based in Morgan Hill and IMHO should be involved in this throughout the state of California. I'm curious to know if they're doing anything, and if so, what.

    Also curious to know if they have any action plans for their rogue competitors, e.g. Stealth.
    They aren't doing anything but chasing the mighty $.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,310
    Zero. I was on our local advocacy group board and I am still in touch with the current board members. I have not heard of a single effort by bike companies or their local dealers to aid in trail advocacy around motorized bikes.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    They aren't doing anything but chasing the mighty $.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Zero. I was on our local advocacy group board and I am still in touch with the current board members. I have not heard of a single effort by bike companies or their local dealers to aid in trail advocacy around motorized bikes.
    That's very unfortunate and could greatly affect my buying decisions.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,310
    One large company and their local dealer actually poached trails during a demo here and tried in some other nearby spots, but I warned the local folks up there and the motorized demos were shutdown on those trails.

    What I am seeing is the poach first and ask for forgiveness later approach. Assuming that if you sell a bunch of these machines it will be harder to deny access than if they ask first when there are no actual users yet.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,679
    No more than they were doing before. Some of the bigger guys give money to orgs like IMBA. Bell hands out trail building grants each year, REI is involved on a local level everywhere. Locally, SRAM is our biggest supporter with other companies like Rotor and SRM lending a hand. It's mostly swag and providing services like meeting and storage space, primarily because we have members who work there, it's not like they are looking for trail orgs to support.

    Aside from helping to fund lobbyists, and having demos in places they shouldn't, I don't see any evidence the major manufacturers are involved in ebike access.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    One large company and their local dealer actually poached trails during a demo here and tried in some other nearby spots, but I warned the local folks up there and the motorized demos were shutdown on those trails.

    What I am seeing is the poach first and ask for forgiveness later approach. Assuming that if you sell a bunch of these machines it will be harder to deny access than if they ask first when there are no actual users yet.
    Absolutely, the local shops are pushing emtbs hard with the "It's just a bike" and then "It's up to the rider to figure it out" approach. Even though 95% of the local trails are off limits.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,580
    The primary advocacy group for ebikes in the US is peopleforbikes.org.

    Their donor list looks like a Who's Who of the bike industry, plus non-bike companies as well.

    https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pac...cmte=C00372862

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,116
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    They aren't doing anything but chasing the mighty $.
    Yep, but the mighty dollar needs trail access. Industry leaders are working on it the usual way via lobbying. Access will come with definition changes, California style.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    983
    I talked to Bosch representatives at Interbike and they had contacted local "authorities" in order to increase access, all in vain according to them.

  11. #11
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Absolutely, the local shops are pushing emtbs hard with the "It's just a bike" and then "It's up to the rider to figure it out" approach. Even though 95% of the local trails are off limits.
    Many dealers are outright lying to customers. I went to Tsali in the Nantahala NF a couple weeks back and a guy at the trailhead asked about ebikes. All I knew was that there were signs plastered all over the TH that ebikes were prohibited and I pointed to a few I could see from where I stood. He said he had been told that ebikes could ride there. *shrug* Not my fault the dude was lied to, but the USFS was making it awfully clear what their policy is on the issue.

    Oddly enough, this guy was probably in his 60's on a regular pedal-mtb. It was his fit-looking 30y/o daughter who was on the emotorbike. That was a first for me.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,009
    Tsali, cool ride. Done it a few times. Yeah emtb not cool anywhere around there.
    🍺🍕🚵🏻🥓🥃🍹🔧

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Absolutely, the local shops are pushing emtbs hard with the "It's just a bike" and then "It's up to the rider to figure it out" approach. Even though 95% of the local trails are off limits.
    Some local races now include an 'ebike' category. You can imagine the slurs we yelled during the post-race awards ceremony.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Some local races now include an 'ebike' category. You can imagine the slurs we yelled during the post-race awards ceremony.
    I'm sure the promoters loved you.
    🍺🍕🚵🏻🥓🥃🍹🔧

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    I'm sure the promoters loved you.
    About as much as us racers loved the e-bikers whizzing by us on course.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  16. #16
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    About as much as us racers loved the e-bikers whizzing by us on course.
    That would suck to have to share the same tight course with a motorized class... was it a loop style race, were the same guys passing you over and over? Why would any race promoter think that was okay?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  17. #17
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    983
    Kj, I think he meant a separate race. I noticed the same egregious behavior by some drunks at the Sea Otter e-MTB race. This type of behavior disgusts me.

  18. #18
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    I think he meant a separate race. I noticed the same egregious behavior by some drunks at the Sea Otter e-MTB race. Takes a real man to get with his pals and yell slurs at race winners.
    Don't ever go to a cyclocross race.

  19. #19
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,580
    If it weren't for the egregious behavior of drunks, nobody would go to bike races at all!

    -Walt

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    About as much as us racers loved the e-bikers whizzing by us on course.
    If you want to go faster go "e" hahaha.
    🍺🍕🚵🏻🥓🥃🍹🔧

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    That would suck to have to share the same tight course with a motorized class... was it a loop style race, were the same guys passing you over and over? Why would any race promoter think that was okay?
    It was a loop course (8 hour race). However, it was just one tag-team, so we weren't inundated by them. If so, many of us may have carried e-branches to jam in their spokes when they hauled by us.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  22. #22
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8,292
    Well, I don't agree, Specialized sent a demo truck to our local state park and held a ranger, park staff info session along with Around Town Bike Shop last spring. The rangers and staff were riding the Turbos and learning the facts of how these worked, along with the gen public. Lackawanna State Park allows ebikes now!

  23. #23
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    About as much as us racers loved the e-bikers whizzing by us on course.
    Moto Harescrambles races have everyone run together and the pros lap people! Makes for a humbling time to learn how to be that fast!

  24. #24
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,453
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Well, I don't agree, Specialized sent a demo truck to our local state park and held a ranger, park staff info session along with Around Town Bike Shop last spring. The rangers and staff were riding the Turbos and learning the facts of how these worked, along with the gen public. Lackawanna State Park allows ebikes now!
    Sounds like mainly a sales pitch.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  25. #25
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Well, I don't agree, Specialized sent a demo truck to our local state park and held a ranger, park staff info session along with Around Town Bike Shop last spring. The rangers and staff were riding the Turbos and learning the facts of how these worked, along with the gen public. Lackawanna State Park allows ebikes now!
    Because you arranged it and also sell them if I remember correctly. Which does demonstrate industry advocacy in a small way.

    Specialized Turbo Levo legal at Lackawanna State park

  26. #26
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    983
    IMO, the best way to have decision-makers understand the attributes of an e-MTB is NEPMTBA's method.

  27. #27
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Because you arranged it and also sell them if I remember correctly. Which does demonstrate industry advocacy in a small way.

    Specialized Turbo Levo legal at Lackawanna State park
    Would you rather I sold one and let the customer go out the door go to a local park and get fined, or ride in an irresponsible way?

  28. #28
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8,292
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Sounds like mainly a sales pitch.
    It was a great day for our area, yes I am bragging about what we have done. I ride the park many times a month and have never had a bad time with anyone. Most people I see ask if that is a ebike and can I try it? Hum? Seems I'm doing my job to a tee, promoting good healthy use of a e bike! If sales come from that well that is the idea!

    The update is, 3 more Turbo Levos are now on the trails, and no problems what so ever. I have heard one of the park staff has offered to buy one out of her own pock money and use it to lightly patrol. To be out and help everyone fisherman, hikers and so on! Seems like a win win sales pitch to me...

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cuyuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Well, I don't agree, Specialized sent a demo truck to our local state park and held a ranger, park staff info session along with Around Town Bike Shop last spring. The rangers and staff were riding the Turbos and learning the facts of how these worked, along with the gen public. Lackawanna State Park allows ebikes now!

    E-bikes are legal on all the trails around here, paved and singletrack, but the local IMBA chapter doesnít allow them in any of their races. The Trek dealer always brings a few Powerflys for race personnel and DNR enforcement agents to shuttle around the trails doing their various race functions. I havenít seen any Specialized presence at the trailhead here, but the Trek dealer is out at the trails every now and then offering demo rides to whomever is interested. Pretty effective marketing, at least locally.

  30. #30
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,453
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Seems like a ...sales pitch to me...
    Exactly.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  31. #31
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Would you rather I sold one and let the customer go out the door go to a local park and get fined, or ride in an irresponsible way?
    No, not at all, just be up front about the fact that it was driven by your shop instead of pretending Specialized is visiting parks on it's own. I'm all for local control over ebike access, if your rangers are on board, good for you.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    It was a great day for our area, yes I am bragging about what we have done. I ride the park many times a month and have never had a bad time with anyone. Most people I see ask if that is a ebike and can I try it? Hum? Seems I'm doing my job to a tee, promoting good healthy use of a e bike! If sales come from that well that is the idea!

    The update is, 3 more Turbo Levos are now on the trails, and no problems what so ever. I have heard one of the park staff has offered to buy one out of her own pock money and use it to lightly patrol. To be out and help everyone fisherman, hikers and so on! Seems like a win win sales pitch to me...
    Good job NEPMTBA e bikes and reg bikes can and do get along just fine it takes ppl like you to show and prove E bikes are nothing to fear for a Mt bike club and land mangers . I was riding today a trail system in Cinn, OHIO ran in to a CORR Mt bike club member who informed me my e bike wasn't allowed @ Devou park we had a nice chat after which he said you have shown me a diff aspect of e bikes tells me enjoy my ride if any body says anything just give them his name he asks for my e mail says the Mt bike club was torn on the e bike subject .

Similar Threads

  1. Custom & Other Manufacturers Model, Setup & Geometry Database
    By CraigH in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 03:00 AM
  2. AZ bike manufacturers
    By scottmilk9 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 07:59 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
  4. A plea to mtb glove manufacturers
    By Fattirewilly in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 07:04 PM
  5. Why should I ignore certain manufacturers for my next bike.
    By JDaniels in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 12:47 PM

Members who have read this thread: 81

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •