mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Turbo Levo FSR Drivetrain Upgrades: 30t NW Chainring + 160mm Cranks

My wife loves her Levo, but sometimes the gearing is a tad tall for technical climbing. I thought about getting an 11-46 cassette, but I had the chainring lying around. Got a new black 30t if anyone's interested. Stock chainring is 32t.

The chainring swap requires a special socket and a cog puller to remove the spider, fit is tight due to the chainring offset, so the motor cover needs to be shaved down, the chain guide shim should be removed, and the chain needs to be shortened.

I hate pedal strikes, they're annoying and hazardous. I have been riding 165mm Eagle GX on my big bike, my wife is a couple inches shorter than me so I decided on 160mm cranks for her. The Levo FSR men's large uses 170mm cranks.

The Levo uses an ISIS spindle, which is common to unicycles and trials bikes. There are a ton of ISIS trials cranks, I went with a Jitsi 160mm 7075 forged, 33mm offset, $65 shipped from Webcyclery in Bend OR.

Having spent a lot of time riding off road unicycles, I'm very comfortable on short cranks, down to 125mm on a 36er. I'm a big advocate for running shorter cranks on bikes since the advent of wide range cassettes.

A 160mm crank might sound wierd, but the improved efficiency and reduced leg movement are worth experiencing. If the 160's work well, then we're gonna try 150!

Swapping cranks is easy on the Levo, all you need is a pedal wrench and an allen wrench. Be sure and grease the threads a bit before reassembly.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eFat View Post
    Yup. Notice the "best choice", 160mm.

The q factors is zero on the cranks they used (Mirinda), sadly it's tough finding cranks without offset in the states. The cranks used on the Levos have ~35mm offset, which is not necessary as the gap between the crank arm and chainstay is over 1/2".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We'll, I'm honestly surprised this thread didn't get more attention.

Chainring and crank length changes on the most popular ebike, improving performance without tweaking the electrical system.

and it's crickets... an entire forum ate up with arguments over how, when, and where an ebike should be ridden, how we definitely ebikes, but no one cares about making the "bikes" better.

As the current Commander in Chief often says: "so sad".

mtbr member
    You kinda lost me once you started mentioning off-road unicycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    We'll, I'm honestly surprised this thread didn't get more attention.

Chainring and crank length changes on the most popular ebike, improving performance without tweaking the electrical system.

and it's crickets... an entire forum ate up with arguments over how, when, and where an ebike should be ridden, how we definitely ebikes, but no one cares about making the "bikes" better.

As the current Commander in Chief often says: "so sad".

Hahahahahaha!!! Your impatience for instant thread gratification has been duly noted! ;-)

Some of us are too intensely working on PT, trail-crew leader class, and morning rides again to live here. Sorry.

Replaced 11-42 Shimano with 11-46 SunRace (better gear spacing than Shimano 11-46) on Powerfly to get granny low enough for me to climb really-steep stuff.

I don't like long crank arms with my 29" inseam. Found the crank-arm article some months ago, but my Q-factor measurements vs. Trek vs. Miranda specs all disagree. Grrr...

So, until I find some reality & order the correct-for-me arms for my Powerfly, I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot by helping all of YOU get to them first. :-) Yes, they are hard to get in America.

Less leg movement & less pedal strikes should be a win-win. :-)

Once I have 'em & ride, I'll report details.

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not impatient for a response, not really surprised either, just noting the lack of interest in a thread that is adding value without causing conflict.

The ebike forum is not anywhere near what it could be, very atypical posts and posters compared to the many other forums.

Yes, low Q cranks are necessary for ebikes due to the wide motor box. Miranda or similar are good.

Enjoy your class.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AGarcia View Post
    You kinda lost me once you started mentioning off-road unicycles
    Unicycles and trials bike use ISIS cranks, like ebikes, so they are a source of cranks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Unicycles and trials bike use ISIS cranks, like ebikes, so they are a source of cranks.
    That is good to know! Thanks for the info man, the crank arm length for my Yamaha ebike haven't been a problem me but it would be nice to try a shorter one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yes, low Q cranks are necessary for ebikes due to the wide motor box. Miranda or similar are good.
    Enjoy your class.

Thanks for the webcyclery reference. Looked at what's available & the q-factors are a little wider than the Mirandas that Bosch uses. Got me to digging deeper. Still can not find a Miranda crank dealer in the USA, but Miranda now has an online parts site!
    (https://www.mirandabikestore.com/cra...3-length-160mm)

That's the 160mm cranks I ordered last night. Shipping from Portugal, so we'll see how long that takes.

Looking forward to the trying these! :-)

The MBoSC trail crew leader class has been great! Except for the poison oak. D'OH!!!

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My wife loves her Levo, but sometimes the gearing is a tad tall for technical climbing. I thought about getting an 11-46 cassette, but I had the chainring lying around. Got a new black 30t if anyone's interested. Stock chainring is 32t.

The chainring swap requires a special socket and a cog puller to remove the spider, fit is tight due to the chainring offset, so the motor cover needs to be shaved down, the chain guide shim should be removed, and the chain needs to be shortened.

I hate pedal strikes, they're annoying and hazardous. I have been riding 165mm Eagle GX on my big bike, my wife is a couple inches shorter than me so I decided on 160mm cranks for her. The Levo FSR men's large uses 170mm cranks.

The Levo uses an ISIS spindle, which is common to unicycles and trials bikes. There are a ton of ISIS trials cranks, I went with a Jitsi 160mm 7075 forged, 33mm offset, $65 shipped from Webcyclery in Bend OR.

Having spent a lot of time riding off road unicycles, I'm very comfortable on short cranks, down to 125mm on a 36er. I'm a big advocate for running shorter cranks on bikes since the advent of wide range cassettes.

A 160mm crank might sound wierd, but the improved efficiency and reduced leg movement are worth experiencing. If the 160's work well, then we're gonna try 150!

Swapping cranks is easy on the Levo, all you need is a pedal wrench and an allen wrench. Be sure and grease the threads a bit before reassembly.

Enjoy!
    Having trouble finding 160mm cranks here in Aus for my Levo, are these the ones you bought NurseBen ?

https://webcyclery.com/product/jitsi...ranks-4710.htm
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, the Jitsia cranks are way to wide, increase q factor by an inch, ~5" width between pedals.

Last night I mounted up the Miranda Delta 0 Standard Cranks, they are 10mm Q, which increase the distance bewteen the pedals to 4", so really not a great option unless you like fat bike riding. Miranda makes zero Q cranks, but none in 160mm.

For the Australians or anyone who feels like ordering across the pond, these Koxx cranks are zero Q, I've used them on unicyles: K1 AL7075 cranks Black 160mm - UDCA Pty Ltd t/as Unicycle.Com Australia

Even with the 160mm cranks, the pedal clearance is terrible. I suppose they designed the Levo with a low bb to keep the COG low, but man it is one pedal smashing machine!

I just ordered some unicycle cranks in a 150mm, they are zero Q, so if they don't rub the motor housing or the chainstays, they may be an option for those into really short cranks. https://www.unicycle.com/copy-of-nim...-cranks-150mm/

Quote Originally Posted by boogsie View Post
    Having trouble finding 160mm cranks here in Aus for my Levo, are these the ones you bought NurseBen ?

https://webcyclery.com/product/jitsi...ranks-4710.htm
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'd cancel that order, I have these cranks installed now, the Q is too high, increases distance between pedals to four inches!. Anything more than zero Q will increase the distance between pedals over stock.

Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post
    Thanks for the webcyclery reference. Looked at what's available & the q-factors are a little wider than the Mirandas that Bosch uses. Got me to digging deeper. Still can not find a Miranda crank dealer in the USA, but Miranda now has an online parts site!
    (https://www.mirandabikestore.com/cra...3-length-160mm)

That's the 160mm cranks I ordered last night. Shipping from Portugal, so we'll see how long that takes.

Looking forward to the trying these! :-)

The MBoSC trail crew leader class has been great! Except for the poison oak. D'OH!!!

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, the Jitsia cranks are way to wide, increase q factor by an inch, ~5" width between pedals.

Last night I mounted up the Miranda Delta 0 Standard Cranks, they are 10mm Q, which increase the distance bewteen the pedals to 4", so really not a great option unless you like fat bike riding. Miranda makes zero Q cranks, but none in 160mm.

For the Australians or anyone who feels like ordering across the pond, these Koxx cranks are zero Q, I've used them on unicyles: K1 AL7075 cranks Black 160mm - UDCA Pty Ltd t/as Unicycle.Com Australia

Even with the 160mm cranks, the pedal clearance is terrible. I suppose they designed the Levo with a low bb to keep the COG low, but man it is one pedal smashing machine!

I just ordered some unicycle cranks in a 150mm, they are zero Q, so if they don't rub the motor housing or the chainstays, they may be an option for those into really short cranks. https://www.unicycle.com/copy-of-nim...-cranks-150mm/
    Cheers for the reply mate and info. Might just research which airshaft i need to increase fork travel to lift BB. Have a 29er up front at moment which is perfect for eliminating pedal strikes though keen to try out the fatter 27.5 plus tyres again now summer is here and trails are all pea gravel.

mtbr member
    Cheers for the reply mate and info. Might just research which airshaft i need to increase fork travel to lift BB. Have a 29er up front at moment which is perfect for eliminating pedal strikes though keen to try out the fatter 27.5 plus tyres again now summer is here and trails are all pea gravel.
    As soon as you said Pea Gravel, I figured we are from the same part of the world.
    I have a SJ Fattie 6, basically a Levo without the motor.
    I was running the Vee Trax Fatty 3.25 last summer. Fit no worries, but found them a bit slow and harder to pedal. Nice and grippy.
    E-bike would make the slow part irrelevant. I think it lifted the bike some 6mm over the stock tyres.

How has the reception been to the Levo up in the hills?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    cool, will check out the vee trax. i did like the 3"tyres in the Valley,hands defiantly less numb thru the chunder, not so much on Kalamunda trails, still good but less precise than thinner tyres. Plus i ride local at Manning Park , sandy but grand on fattys.
    Reception much better in the hills are a few DH guys had a go, ragged it at first then rode it and could see the potential for more DH runs. Im half on Trance and half on Levo. Not so much fun for mates when someone is on an ebike.
    That new Meat Power is looking damn good btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Twimby View Post
    As soon as you said Pea Gravel, I figured we are from the same part of the world.
    I have a SJ Fattie 6, basically a Levo without the motor.
    I was running the Vee Trax Fatty 3.25 last summer. Fit no worries, but found them a bit slow and harder to pedal. Nice and grippy.
    E-bike would make the slow part irrelevant. I think it lifted the bike some 6mm over the stock tyres.

How has the reception been to the Levo up in the hills?

mtbr member
    cool, will check out the vee trax. i did like the 3"tyres in the Valley,hands defiantly less numb thru the chunder, not so much on Kalamunda trails, still good but less precise than thinner tyres. Plus i ride local at Manning Park , sandy but grand on fattys.
    Reception much better in the hills are a few DH guys had a go, ragged it at first then rode it and could see the potential for more DH runs. Im half on Trance and half on Levo. Not so much fun for mates when someone is on an ebike.
    That new Meat Power is looking damn good btw.
    I was probably on the negative side, until I had a full run on one a few weeks ago.
    Just ordered a Merinda yesterday. Will be a good addition to the quiver with the Stumpy and Fatboy.
    I live North of the River, tried to ride Manning Park once when I was down that way, but could not seem to find many tracks. Probably was in the wrong spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Meant meta power ebike.
    Mate I bought levo from has merida, bastard loves it and doesn't ride his other levo anymore 😂
    Extra travel up front always handy.
    Manning Park you need a guide, let me know when, though definitely not the best time of yr now.
    Couple of links of Manning Park, soon to be a mtb park if all goes well.
    Sorry hijacking thread fellas 😂
    https://youtu.be/zfPxvN17jMs

https://youtu.be/9g_C-GP54RM

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'd cancel that order, I have these cranks installed now, the Q is too high, increases distance between pedals to four inches!. Anything more than zero Q will increase the distance between pedals over stock.
    I understand your concern with your change in q-factor, but the Miranda Delta 0 cranks I ordered are the same model & q-factor (Q:16 stated & measured) as my Trek Powerfly/Bosch CX came with. Just 160mm length vs 170mm stock.

For grins I poorly measured outside pedal to outside pedal on Powerfly (15.75") to my Hightower (15") with same VP Aim pedals. I don't seem to notice that difference.

However, the 20.5" width of my Beta 520RS pegs are noticeable after pedaling. ;-)

But a unicycle with q:0 would be much narrower, huh?

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay, I thought you had a Levo. Specialized uses s zero q crank from Praxis. The uni cranks should fit.

Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post
    I understand your concern with your change in q-factor, but the Miranda Delta 0 cranks I ordered are the same model & q-factor (Q:16 stated & measured) as my Trek Powerfly/Bosch CX came with. Just 160mm length vs 170mm stock.

For grins I poorly measured outside pedal to outside pedal on Powerfly (15.75") to my Hightower (15") with same VP Aim pedals. I don't seem to notice that difference.

However, the 20.5" width of my Beta 520RS pegs are noticeable after pedaling. ;-)

But a unicycle with q:0 would be much narrower, huh?

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Installed the Unicycle.com 150mm cranks, drive side fits perfect with 1/2 clearance to the chain stay and casing rub, but non drive side rubbed the motor casing. A little dremmel work and its just right, 1/2 clearance at the chainstay.

These cranks are 20mm shorter than the stock Praxis cranks, much closer to the chainstay so Q factor is reduce by ~10mm per side, its a nice option if you can get used to short cranks.

Ive got a set of unused Miranda Deta 0 cranks, 160mm, special order from Spain, if anyone wants them, send me a pm.