Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26 View Post
    Don't be a jerk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Don't be a jerk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I agree with Donutnational. I'll take it one step more and compare eBikes for those who can't handle pedaling to handicap parking. Sure, some people need it but the majority of people with handicap parking permits don't need them....and really should be encouraged to walk a bit for in my state, you can get handicap parking for being a disgusting tub o' lard.

Yeah, some people need an electric assist to ride a bike but the majority of people on electric bikes using them to "mountain bike" are going to be lazy, out-of-shape slobs who perhaps would be better served by slowly getting in shape to ride trails under their own power.

AZ
    banned
    Well, since this conversation is headed for the bin, I'll throw both Hitler and Nazis into the fray.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm just a jerk, but there's plenty of shit I can't ride, ski or climb. But I'm not asking for permission to bring a helicopter, motor bike or drill a bunch of bolts so I can. If this makes me a jerk so be it. In your twisted mind the wilderness act must truly suck since it prevents so many people from being able to access our beautiful wild areas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by donutnational View Post
    I guess I'm just a jerk, but there's plenty of shit I can't ride, ski or climb. But I'm not asking for permission to bring a helicopter, motor bike or drill a bunch of bolts so I can. If this makes me a jerk so be it. In your twisted mind the wilderness act must truly suck since it prevents so many people from being able to access our beautiful wild areas.
    You see, somebody has to give you a fair reason why riding an ebike makes you a jerk. People here for some reason are full of hate which by the way is not supported, nobody has given me a clear reason why ebikes on trails are so bad, besides hateful shit like lazy fat pu$$y riders.

Whats even sadder, is that since nobody can give me a clear answer I just get down-voted, but that just proves the point of folks having no arguments.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There have been plenty of reasons given why ebikes shouldn't be
    on the trails. You just don't care or haven't read them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    E-bikes are awesome...on the road, on jeep trails, in ATV rec areas, anywhere motorized vehicles are allowed. But they need to stay off of trails where motorized vehicles are not allowed. I hope IMBA and other advocacy groups are getting in front of this before it becomes a problem. I feel terrible for people who have physical impairments preventing them from riding normal mountain bikes. Believe me, short of something bad happening to my wife or kids, not being able to mountain bike is probably my worst nightmare. But life isn't fair. Blind people can't mountain bike either. Sorry about that.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Thanks bolandjd, your much more articulate and less reactionary than me. To me the inherent value of motorless areas is reason enough to prohibit electric bikes. But apparently Gromov needs something that can be measured in watts or foot pounds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    this would be sweet for single track and dh, legal of course

Electric Bikes on MTB Trails-1234414_576526942396139_91361624_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donutnational View Post
    Sorry for all who got sick or hurt and can't ride anymore, but that doesn't mean I support your right to bring motorized vehicles on trails that are not open to motorized vehicles. I also don't support your right to bring snowmobiles onto mountains where they are not allowed so you can ski or snowboard on them since you can't climb them under your own power. But I guess I'm just a 55 year old elitist hater. Ride and climb as much as you can while you can and don't cry when you are no longer able.
    Man, I must be a jerk as well.
    +1
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Natrat, what's the name of that bike? Or is it just a concept?

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Man, I must be a jerk as well.
    +1
    Yep
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't quiet understand all the hate for people using ebikes, they are not dirt bikes, they don't rip up the trail. Everyone is in everyone else's business these days. I'm just glad to see people out using the trails rather then not.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ej132 View Post
    I don't quiet understand all the hate for people using ebikes, they are not dirt bikes, they don't rip up the trail. Everyone is in everyone else's business these days. I'm just glad to see people out using the trails rather then not.
    Because, they go against the basic "spirit" of mtn biking. You see a lot of the same feeling to shuttling. Hence, the phrase, "earn your turns"
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Because, they go against the basic "spirit" of mtn biking. You see a lot of the same feeling to shuttling. Hence, the phrase, "earn your turns"
    What makes you and expert on what is "mountain biking"?? As long as your on 2 wheels your good by me
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What makes you and expert on what is "mountain biking"?? As long as your on 2 wheels your good by me
    This is a mountain bike forum. Many of us are experts on it. Generally, however, it is not a difficult concept to get a handle on: you essentially ride a bicycle on trails as opposed to the road, the only requirement being that you are riding a "bicycle," not some 75 pound behemoth with a motor and some decorative pedals bolted on so you can claim it's a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ride on some local multi-use trails where they allow dirt bikes. No problems. It's their trail...but the turns and dips have been beaten into sandy pits that are almost impassable on a bike (I enjoy a good sufferfest every now and then) and I would hate to see even a third of that kind of damage done to our local mountain bike trails by quasi-motorcycles. Why not take your behemoth to a dirt bike/ATV trail?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Why not take your behemoth to a dirt bike/ATV trail?

The reason is "Taint". Taint a real motorcycle, taint a real bicycle. The throttle jockey's will just roost em and they aren't allowed on bicycle trails therefore making them pretty much a useless novelty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    http://forums.mtbr.com/asset.php?fid...8&d=1380319156

46lbs, most don't recognize it as an ebike...doesn't seem to do any more trail damage then my Giant Trance X-1 when I ride it on dirt, but as I stated earlier I do not take this on the single track mtb trails marked "no motorized vehicles" my mtb buddies who ride the local loops and like to work on lowering times for the loop with hard work would not appreciate me pedal assisting behind them for 12 miles.....it's a respect thing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Electric Bikes on MTB Trails-ebike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nanny state, nanny state.

I don't care if a guy has JATO packs strapped on his bike, if he's not running into people, so be it.

I find the electric bike sub-culture a bit odd myself, but I really don't care what people do with them as long as they are operating with common sense.

We're getting to a point where if something isn't explicitly outlined as "legal" people get all riled up. This is supposed to be a country where anything goes unless explicitly outlawed and outlawed in a case where something would truly affect public safety or the pursuits of life liberty, and happiness. We've drifted so far...

I didn't do it
    ^Easy does it there pardner.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    So was this thread bumped recently because I remember it from way back. Please tell me it hasen't been alive all this time. I'm too lazy to scroll back some input please.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So was this thread bumped recently because I remember it from way back. Please tell me it hasen't been alive all this time. I'm too lazy to scroll back some input please.
    It was revived 4 days ago by some dude who apparently joined MTBR to sing the praises of electronic bikes.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    It was revived 4 days ago by some dude who apparently joined MTBR to sing the praises of electronic bikes.
    Ha,ha great! So now I have to go out and get an electric bike to keep up with the joneses.
    What brand should I get? What kind of bars should I get on it? What kind of tires should I get? what color should I get or raw? Titanium chromoly carbon or aluminum? What kind of suspension for all mountain? What wheel size should I get? What bike shop will build such a beast?

Fock I've had it with this sport I can't keep up.
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    There is a lot of buzz about e-bikes coming out of Interbike. Guitar Ted's spiel is what got me interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Its not hate, its physics. No, e-bikes are not the same as dirtbikes. But they are heavier and go faster than normal bicycles, hence they cause more wear and tear on trails. Some mtb trails can probably handle it, and others can't. Many land managers are already wary about allowing mountain bikes; if e-bikes start showing up on those trails, they are guaranteed to get shut down. It varies jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction, of course.

If e-bikers want to access to trails where they are currently not allowed, they need to organize and lobby land managers the same as mountain bikers had to do back in the day (and still do!). For mountain biking, the key to trail access is cooperation with land managers and other trail users - same deal for e-bikes. I'm sure that e-bikers could join with mountain bikers in creating and maintaining properly constructed, sustainable, dual-use trails for mtbs and e-bikes. But the key is open cooperation, not poaching bicycle trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    People keep saying this bohemians with pedals bolted on. I don't think you all understand that these are not pedal free machines. Most will not be able to complete a 10 mile trail with just turning the throttle, they are still bicycles.

Bolandjd, you response makes most sense here. And while I somewhat disagree with your opinion I see its point and value. It's just most of these ebikes are not a whole lot heavier the some of the fat bikes out today, and most who ride ebikes aren't shredding it up out there( I mean riding hard and fast) I guess what I see from my point of view is that some with full suspension bikes are much more aggressive on the trails than a heavier ebike could be.

mtbr member
    People keep saying this bohemians with pedals bolted on. I don't think you all understand that these are not pedal free machines.

So does an e-bike have to be green?

Electric Bikes on MTB Trails-yampas-lead01.jpg

Or can it be a little mean?

Electric Bikes on MTB Trails-beast-m55-luxury-e-bike-1.jpg

Is there a certain power limit at which they become an em-cycle? Will there be an official at trailheads checking the wattage of each rig?

Can any e-bike supporter out there explain how an electric bike/cycle differs from an internal combustion powered bike (I realize they use different fuel)? If low powered electric (motor) bikes are allowed on restricted trails why not low powered internal combustion (motor) bikes?

Electric Bikes on MTB Trails-mauidoneleft.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Can any e-bike supporter out there explain how an electric bike/cycle differs from an internal combustion powered bike (I realize they use different fuel)? If low powered electric (motor) bikes are allowed on restricted trails why not low powered internal combustion (motor) bikes?
    while not an ebike supporter, I can tell you in my state, state law groups all power assisted bicycles, either electric or gasoline, together.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    they are motorized, fuel doesn't matter. I have no problems with motorized recreation, but lets call a spade a spade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Why does it matter if its ICE or electric? Only thing is the ICE will be louder but how far can you really hear a small engine? .25 mile at most.

AZ
    banned
    Why does it matter if its ICE or electric? Only thing is the ICE will be louder but how far can you really hear a small engine? .25 mile at most.

It matters not, motors are motors and they are precluded from using non-motorized trails. Pretty simple stuff really.

Diggity Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    It matters not, motors are motors and they are precluded from using non-motorized trails. Pretty simple stuff really.
    One would think but it seems to be hard to get through to some.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was responding to J.B. Weilds post. It is pretty simple.

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Its not hate, its physics. No, e-bikes are not the same as dirtbikes. But they are heavier and go faster than normal bicycles, hence they cause more wear and tear on trails. Some mtb trails can probably handle it, and others can't. Many land managers are already wary about allowing mountain bikes; if e-bikes start showing up on those trails, they are guaranteed to get shut down. It varies jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction, of course.

If e-bikers want to access to trails where they are currently not allowed, they need to organize and lobby land managers the same as mountain bikers had to do back in the day (and still do!). For mountain biking, the key to trail access is cooperation with land managers and other trail users - same deal for e-bikes. I'm sure that e-bikers could join with mountain bikers in creating and maintaining properly constructed, sustainable, dual-use trails for mtbs and e-bikes. But the key is open cooperation, not poaching bicycle trails.
    Holy Crap! Here it is all in a nutshell. Mountain bikers have done the legwork to get access to trails for THEIR vehicles. E-bikers should do the same. Lobby, build, repair, maintain. Nobody should get a free ride on someone else's coattails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well if your on the not taking the "leg up" then we should all start out like cavemen. Idiocy. Should we all have to start new countries then steal the leg up of our nations creators?

So all of you are taking this thread seriously. Can't you tell when a when someone's trolling.

Terrain Sculptor
    Well if your on the not taking the "leg up" then we should all start out like cavemen. Idiocy. Should we all have to start new countries then steal the leg up of our nations creators?
    Wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Natrat, what's the name of that bike? Or is it just a concept?
    concept, silly at that
    good stuff , 2 wheeled bikes of all kinds Latest « derestricted

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Wut?
    Ha,ha Ninja too funny! So right out of left field comes this little gem of philosophy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks Natrat, thought it would be. Just a very cool visual hybrid of mountain biking and dirt biking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    @JCON2009 is the kinda interwebs tuff guy who makes threats in his weak ass, no power neg reps. Bark on little dog, bark on.

You know whats funny slightly off topic here. The motorised bike in the bottom photo of JB Welds post above are all over the streets along coastal So. Cal. And the cops don't even bother with them. But take a dirt bike motorcycle or mini bike unlicensed on the street and they're all over it.

Back to topic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Back to topic.
    Put pedals on it, then call it an e-something and you got yer-self a bicycle.

****** to the dirt
    Can I put pedals on my jeep, call it a bike and take it on the trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

AZ
    banned
    Someone please drive a stake through the heart of this thread.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I'll just say that if/when I start seeing these on the trails, I will do what I can to get them classified as "motorized". Motors are motors. These have no business on non-motorized trails.

That's my $0.02
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Someone please drive a stake through the heart of this thread.

Name:  diethread.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  8.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OhGee View Post
    One would think but it seems to be hard to get through to some.
    Just need to beat it into them.....simple really.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I'll just say that if/when I start seeing these on the trails, I will do what I can to get them classified as "motorized". Motors are motors. These have no business on non-motorized trails.

That's my $0.02
    It's more worth $4,000,000 as I also want to see the classified to what they truly are.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast