NMBP

Yet another crank question

I am currently running a 180 mm XT Hollowtech II with a 20/32/42. I would like a 30 tooth middle ring, but can't with the 110/64. So what cranks are available with 94/58, in 180mm for 9 speed? I have used the search and it just made things more cloudy. Thanks for the help.

Heck, I was wondering where you got a 20t 4 bolt 64 bcd and then after I thought about it, it must be Middleburn or Action Tec, but am curious in any case (and Action Tec would probably provide what you want in any case if you don't mind the prices http://www.actiontec.us/prices.htm ).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

NMBP
    My 20 tooth is an Action Tec heat treated titanium. I had to modify the crank for chain clearance, and also reduce the diameter of the chainring bolts. Photo is of the crank mod. I would like a 30 tooth on the middle for a smoother jump, plus I spend more time in the middle ring anyway. I think there is a Profile cromo crank, and I have read about Middleburn, but I am not sure that these are easily available. I am hoping someone else has done this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    My 20 tooth is an Action Tec heat treated titanium. I had to modify the crank for chain clearance, and also reduce the diameter of the chainring bolts. Photo is of the crank mod. I would like a 30 tooth on the middle for a smoother jump, plus I spend more time in the middle ring anyway. I think there is a Profile cromo crank, and I have read about Middleburn, but I am not sure that these are easily available. I am hoping someone else has done this.

Since you were willing to modify your cranks to use the 20t, you should consider the Extralite 30t ring. You can get them from www.light-bikes.com. I think that Boone can also make you a 31t ring out of Ti that will work and will likely have actual shift ramps and gates.

The Extralite ring is meant to be used in a 2x9 setup and is meant to be in the lowest position in that setup. I have one on my XT HII cranks.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-X
    Since you were willing to modify your cranks to use the 20t, you should consider the Extralite 30t ring. You can get them from www.light-bikes.com. I think that Boone can also make you a 31t ring out of Ti that will work and will likely have actual shift ramps and gates.

The Extralite ring is meant to be used in a 2x9 setup and is meant to be in the lowest position in that setup. I have one on my XT HII cranks.
    Thanks, I think a 31 tooth would be way cheaper than a new crank and rings. Not yet ready to go 2 X 9 though.

mechmann_mtb
    If you make good torque, be careful purchasing an Xtralite 30T. I shattered one of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    hey mechmann_mtb, i destroyed my 30T xtralite as well - the female end of the integrated ring bolts just sheered off the ring itself. how did yours blow up? I sent pics to extralite and they didn't do anything... disappointed. if yours broke the same way, people will know what to look out for.

Specialites TA makes 28 and 30T 64mm inner rings that i'm thinking of trying next. i'll likely run steel bolts as the leverage on the 64mm BDC will be much higher... as well, have to space out the bb cups to get better chainling from the inner position... thoughts?

I had no idea how much more fun and fast riding 30T x 11-34 could be for technical trail riding. it's more than just the lighter weight and gear range...