mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Yet again ... crank length for short inseam?

Ok - getting confused on this one.

I searched the forum for answers and got a few varying ones that didnt really settle my question. Im looking to buy some new cranks for a soft tail and have gotten the recommenation from both John Castellano and from Zinn's crank measurement formula on his website, that I need 165mm cranks (essentially XT, since thats all thats really available). My inseam is 30", I have a long torso and I'm 5'6" 3/4.

That length seems pretty short to me, but when I raised the issue of being able to crank, John said that my long torso should compensate (by weight). I ride mostly steep uphill (and downhill) xc-country and singeltrack (sometimes pretty technical) and I plan to run an 8 sp drivetrain (12/32 and 22/32/44). I tend to be a masher thats trying to spin (although I just started using toes clips) as I have been running 175mm for a long time.

Does any have any thoughts on this - maybe closer to 170mm would be better, both the mastersaruge otherwise. I havent found many endorsements?

Any

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    anybody?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5'4" tall and been using a 175mm crank arm forever. Works great. No problems. My inseam is 27.5".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirob
    anybody?
    I also have been using 175mm forever. me 5'11" w/ 30.5" inseam. works fine for me, but going by various online calculators, I should be at 170... i'm not a great spinner though.
    170 does work better for road riding.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]