mtbr member
    Jul 2011

XX1 Rear derailleur pulley arm sticking?

I just installed XX1 on my Tallboy and on the first test ride I noticed a popping sound while in my lowest gears (biggest). I traced it back to my rear derailleur pulley arm sticking whenever the suspension on the bike compresses in the big gears. At first I thought maybe too short of a chain but the sound is still there all the way down to 4th. I initially had it on my Highball but without the FS the issues never showed it's ugly face.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't have any problems on my Marin MV FS... It sounds like its the type2 'clutch' which would make sense since it should stick and will try to keep the forward movement as little as possible.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I just installed XX1 on my Tallboy and on the first test ride I noticed a popping sound while in my lowest gears (biggest). I traced it back to my rear derailleur pulley arm sticking whenever the suspension on the bike compresses in the big gears. At first I thought maybe too short of a chain but the sound is still there all the way down to 4th. I initially had it on my Highball but without the FS the issues never showed it's ugly face.

Any thoughts?
    Same bike (Tallboy), same problem. LBS is getting it replaced by SRAM. This is very common problem that SRAM will need to remedy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll also be having my XX1 derailleur replaced by Sram. This will be going on my newly ordered Ripley when it arrives.

I spoke with Sram techs at Otter and they did acknowledge this was an legitimate issue with the first gen of derailleurs. He noticed mine was the older style by the type of B screw being used, black is early models and silver being newer. I guess people had problems stripping the B screw and they decided to change material, plus a few other first gen fixes....including the clutch

mtbr member

XX1 Rear derailleur pulley arm sticking?

Ok I hope I word this where it makes since. Did you fully compress the suspension when setting up derailer?(tallboys the longest measurement between the axle and bb is when suspension is fully compressed and you should always setup derailer and shifting in this position) If not that might be the issue or maybe your b screw setting is off. I'm not sure with the xx1 but on all other SRAM stuff I know alloy cassettes such as the x0 and xx I know you should have a 12 mm gap between top tension pully and lowest tooth on largest cog instead of 6 mm. I am not sure if that applies to xx1 but maybe those tips help. I have a tallboy but not running xx1. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge can help or feel free calling up SRAM or shooting them a email they have pretty good customer service.