Thread: XX1 Q factor

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

XX1 Q factor

How should I decide? My Jet 9 will take either size and my feet have plenty of frame clearance with my current X9 cranks. Iíve had some knee issues in the past and want to be careful. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the 156q on my Jet9 RDO. I like the narrower stance a lot. I ride road and MTB equally so it is easier to transition having a similar set up.

What are your knee problems?

mtbr member
    I also have 156q on my Jet9 RDO, only one ride on it so far but no issues.

Plays with tools
    If your frame will take them get the narrow ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The frame will take either q factor. I also was debating between the 2 so I intentionally tried to rub my shoes at the chainstay with my older x9 cranks. I never noticed myself rubbing during my normal riding position, but it was very easy to rub it with the slightest inward movement of my heal. I've tried a narrow q on another bike and wasn't anything too noticeable. Maybe a little easier to pedal through ruts and such. Ended up going with the 168q only because I knew it was a for sure thing...but honestly im confident i would have been just as happy with narrow q...minus the occasional heal rub.

On a side note...my distributor just told me that SRAM will be raising prices and no longer selling the xx1 cranks with the chainring included. They said that once current stock is gone, you'll need to purchase the ring seperately...which hikes up the price around 70-100 to the end user if you purchase the ring as well. I was shocked to hear this, but if anyone is looking to purchase this crank, it might be a good idea to snag one soon. Not sure if this applies to all SRAM distributors...but it sounds like it will.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks, the set came in today! I went with 168 q-factor.
    I'm on X9 now and my legs look like they could go in more and be okay but I don't know anything about fit.
    My LBS said to go with the 168q unless I'm a roadie. They said that every mtb that I've previously owned has been aprox 170q.
    So, I went to see my fit guy. He said that he "might" go a little narrower on the next set but didn't seem to think it was a big issue. I had to pick a solid answer out of him. He said that my knees look like pistons going straight up and down but if he had to make a choice he "might" go with a little less q.
    I looked up the x9 crank data and found that it's a 171q. So a 168 is a small move in the right direction.

The 156 may have worked just fine but the 168 seemed to be the best choice based on my local advise. I may as well take the pro's advice since I'm paying for it right.

Thanks