mtbr member

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight

I recently switched out a modified XTR group for XX1. Bottom line is that I think it's genius and will be perfect for many trail riders. I prefer it to the 2x10 I removed for the type of riding I do with this bike, it's quiet, smooth, simple and lighter. If this bike saw a larger amount of time on the road, I'd stick with 2x10...and I will on my hardtail. The XTR group has had flawless reliability and shown excellent wear characteristics, I'll know in a year if the XX1 compares. Really thinking about this switch has made me appreciate how well both systems work. More detail below.

What I like about the XX1 Group.
    -It is beautiful in its simplicity, it really cleans up the bottom bracket area and it should work much better in muddy conditions.
    -It's as quiet as a single speed when descending, with absolutely no chain slap. Overall impression is one of smoothness and simplicity.
    -Saved 163 grams from the group I removed; which was already a really light kit. Overall bike weight is now 22 lb even.
    -Shifting is on par with the XTR group I removed.

That said there are a few things I don't necessarily care for...

-While the XX1 10-42 cassette has all the range I will ever need, the 10-12 tooth jump is too big to be a useful shift. Cruising at max cadence around 22 mph on the road and want to shift to a harder gear? You drop down to a gear that is suited to 25 mph...so I think I would give up a bit of range to have an 11 tooth small cog. If this was my only bike and it were to see a lot of road use, or long sections of road in racing, I'd stick with a 2x10. I will be putting the XTR group on my hardtail for that type of riding.

-On very steep technical climbs where I would fully open the suspension of the Scott Spark, the 26 tooth little ring interacted better with the suspension, acting very neutral without bob. The 32 tooth makes the suspension bob slightly. The counterpoint though is that the XX1 32 tooth front ring is less likely to bob than the Race Face 38 tooth big ring I had before, but I usually run the middle, highly damped shock position at big ring speeds.

-While overall bike weight is reduced, there is nearly a quarter pound added near the rear axle in the cassette and the derailleur. This is unsprung weight, I'm sure I won't notice, but in theory it doesn't seem like the best place to add weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-dsc_0890.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-xx1-crank.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-pf-gxp-bb.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-rf-crank.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-rf-bb.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-xx1-cassette.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-xx-cassette.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-dt-xd-freehub.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-dt-shim-freehub.jpg  

Last edited by brentos; 12-19-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Rear shifters were a wash...if I were to use the SRAM brake clamp integration it would be the same weight as the XTR i-Spec I took off. The XX1 Rear Derailleur came in 20 grams over claimed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-xx-shifter.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-xtr-r-shifter.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-xx1-rd.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-xtr-rd.jpg  

Last edited by brentos; 12-19-2012 at 12:27 AM.

mtbr member
    no pics, but the XX1 chain was about 15 grams lighter than the XTR in the required length.

And the stuff I no longer needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-x0-fd.jpg  

XX1 Mini-Review & Weights, XTR Weights, Race Face Next Crank Weight-weight-xtr-front-shifter.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice thanks for the input and writeup/pics.

I'd LOVE to have xx1 on my bike but is just to pricey for me. ill wait for the x9 version

Please dont take this the wrong way as i love your bike.

BUT...the fly in the ointment is the awful dt swiss rear shock I dont think they need the lever to switch out the fork shock. just put a good fox on there thats valved right...or move some pivots around so you dont need any platform.

I have seen several owners take off the dt swiss shock and mount up off the shelf fox and rt3's and love them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    Nice thanks for the input and writeup/pics.

Please dont take this the wrong way as i love your bike.

BUT...the fly in the ointment is the awful dt swiss rear shock I dont think they need the lever to switch out the fork shock. just put a good fox on there thats valved right...or move some pivots around so you dont need any platform.

I have seen several owners take off the dt swiss shock and mount up off the shelf fox and rt3's and love them
    I agree for the most part...

-I've been riding hardtail for three years now since my body responds better to standing fairly frequently. With the DT shock, I can run it in the middle position and the suspension only moves on the bumps that would really impact through the seat...perfect for my style of riding. The RockShox and Fox offerings are usually a bit too active for my style of riding and would require a lot of threshold with this suspension geometry.

-I really don't care for the full open position on the DT...it's WAY too wallowy. I'm sure a Fox or RockShox would descend much better.

-I might be able to get away with a Fox or RockShox with the 32 tooth ring without a ton of threshold, but the pivot is just too low to get away with it when running a 38 tooth ring. You've definately got me thinking about trying it now though.

-I didn't like the middle position on the twinlock compatible forks at all, so I built mine up with the XX remote lockout damper. I like the fork, but I kind of wish I'd gone with an RCT3 w/out remote to get the more sophosticated damper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Has there anyone ever try running 10 speed cassette with XX1 system? I just got my new groupset but DT XD hub body is not in stock yet :-(

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Chen View Post
    Has there anyone ever try running 10 speed cassette with XX1 system? I just got my new groupset but DT XD hub body is not in stock yet :-(
    Check out the Niner Forum for muzzanic's Jet9 RDO build with XX1.

Green RDO with XX1

mtbr member
    Great post but one thing I'm confused about -

-While the XX1 10-42 cassette has all the range I will ever need, the 10-12 tooth jump is too big to be a useful shift. Cruising at max cadence around 22 mph on the road and want to shift to a harder gear? You drop down to a gear that is suited to 25 mph...so I think I would give up a bit of range to have an 11 tooth small cog. If this was my only bike and it were to see a lot of road use, or long sections of road in racing, I'd stick with a 2x10. I will be putting the XTR group on my hardtail for that type of riding.

So you're saying it's a pain jump up two teeth? It just feels weird going from the 12 cog to the 10?

Nor­wegr
    Nice mini-review
    I should have my group next week, though I don't have wheels yet :|

mtbr member
    Yes, the jump is a little to big to be used at a sustained speed that falls between the two.

I've gotten a few more trail miles on the group. The jump is a non issue on the trail where you would only use the 10t in a sprint. It is a mountain bike after all, so this big jump may not be an issue for most people.

I really like the group a lot. It' just so quiet, light, and simple. Not sure if this or XTR shifts better, so I'll call it a wash between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Great post but one thing I'm confused about -

So you're saying it's a pain jump up two teeth? It just feels weird going from the 12 cog to the 10?

mtbr member
    One other question, does the chain shift as smoothly from the 12 to 10 and from the second last big cog to the 42? Basically, does the switch feel the same throughout the cassette or different at the ends?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    One other question, does the chain shift as smoothly from the 12 to 10 and from the second last big cog to the 42? Basically, does the switch feel the same throughout the cassette or different at the ends?
    It feels pretty consistent across the range. Although I really haven't paid really close attention to that specifically and it's probably dependent on setup and adjustment.

-It seems to shift to the 42 tooth better than any 10 speed I've had shifts to the 36 tooth (XX & XTR).
    -Every now and then the shift into the 10t is a little harsh, probably depends on where it is in the rotation on the 12 tooth where you start the shift.
    -Lever effort seems consistent across the range.

mtbr member
    I have to spread some rep around before I can thank you again so I'll just type it here.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    A much bigger improvement to your SID than yet another damper would be the 15mm thru axle lowers and compatible hub, if you haven't taken care of that detail already. Theres way more than a noticeable difference in the front end and yes, I've had them both on the same bike. I can't believe Scott charges what they do for the Spark SL and still specs it with a 9mm dropout fork! Thanks for all the info on the 1X11.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've running a XX 10s cassette with my XX1 system,it's not good enough but no problem,no noisy just not sharp enough for this level's shifter

one another question:is there another option of XX1 cassette?cause I thought 42T is too big for my 29er XC bike,now my setting is 32t chaining with 11-36,if there's 10-38or40 it will be perfect 34t chaining.my 26er xc's setting is 38t with 11-34 9s