Thread: XX1 Gripshift

mtbr member

Good job! XX1 Gripshift

Ive been reading and listening that the XX1 gripshift fails!?
    Ive always used gripshift - my first bike had it installed - and i liked it and got used to it.
    I want to mount a XX1 but im having this doubt: trigger or gripshift.
    Can you guys using the gripshift give any feedback?
    Thanks

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Well, I can tell you that it is outrageously overpriced for the same technology that is in $30 OEM grip shifters!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mine hasn't failed yet, but rattles like a mofo. I do like the function of GS though, so for now I'm living with it.

mtbr member
    What do you mean by "rattles"? rwitte.

Agree rideit, the prices are obscene, thats one of the disadvantages of dealing with a market owned by two giants - SRAM and SHIMANO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know 3 sponsored local riders who are loving XX1 and all three had their Gripshift fail in the first week of use. They love the Gripshifter but are racing with triggers now. I am running 2009 X.9 grippers that I got on sale at CRC for $30 FOR THE PAIR. Still work great 3 years later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've used both the XX1 trigger and the grip shifter. I'm currently using the trigger shifter because I feel the shifting is a bit more accurate than the grip shifter. I felt like with the grip shifter I could accidentally over shift when going down a rougher down hill section. A couple positives to the grip shifter is that you can shift through a lot of gears FAST which is nice on a 11sp. Also if/when you crash a grip shifter will (most likely) clear your top tube when your handle bars spin at mach 1. I've already chipped the paint on my top tube with the trigger shifter. I think they both have their place just depends on your needs. I personally liked the accuracy, reliability, and the feel of the trigger shifter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VICpt View Post
    What do you mean by "rattles"? rwitte.

Agree rideit, the prices are obscene, thats one of the disadvantages of dealing with a market owned by two giants - SRAM and SHIMANO.
    The plastic housing around the shifter is loose and rattles. I've loosened the clamp and squeezed it all together as much as possible, which helps a little, but doesn't eliminate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, I can tell you that it is outrageously overpriced for the same technology that is in $30 OEM grip shifters!
    The problem is that it isn't the same technology. If it was, they would be reliable .

Here's a thread about new gripshift failures:

XX1 Grip Shift Failure

If you are ok with 9 speed, get some 9 speed gripshift, and you will never worry about them.