mtbr member
    Jan 2013

XX1 Derailleur Making Funny Noise

Well I put a little over 100 miles on my XX1 group and now the rear derailleur is making a grinding noise when it shifts into the higher gears and it is not smooth. It is suppose to be a self lubrication needle bearing set up. Anyone else having the same issue?

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I noticed a slight grinding noise when turning the cranks on my bike stand that sounded like my rear brake pads rubbing against the rotor. I removed the brake pads and the sound was still there. I determined that the sound was coming from the outer part of XX1 chain rubbing on the next biggest cog (most noticeable on the smaller cogs). I could not adjust my high gear limit screw screw enough to prevent the slight rubbing. This problem was compounded greatly when I was pushing hard on the pedals while riding on the trail. It would then make clicking sounds - probably from the rivets or leading edge of the links clicking off the next largest cog. My solution was to put a stainless M10 washer between the derailleur and the dropout/derailleur hanger. The inner diameter of the washer is 10mm, the outer diameter is 18mm and the thickness is 1.6mm. Initially I used an aluminum axle spacer that was 10mm x 16mm x 1mm thick. It got deformed badly when I tightened the pivot bolt of the derailleur so I had to go with the beefier stainless washer.

Another symptom I noticed before the washer was installed was that if I back pedaled the cranks while on the bike stand the chain tried to move from the smallest cog to the second smallest cog. Once the washer was installed the slight grinding noise went away. The clicking seems to have completely disappeared while riding (only tested riding on my street so far). The chain still tries to derail from the smallest cog to the 2nd smallest cog while on the bike stand but when riding (Full suspension frameset) that problem is completely gone too.

Make sure the jockey wheel on the derailleur is centered on the largest cog but in the other direction the center of the jockey wheel should be lined up with the outboard edge of the 10 tooth cog. Without the washer I could not accomplish this on my frameset (Devince Dexter).