tOmmygunn

XX1 cranks can you use them w/ a single speed setup? will they work w/ sram PC-1 cha

I'm building up a single speed which I may also try to run as a 1x11 depending on the conditions. So I was wondering if I used a SRAM XX1 crank which seems to have propietary chainrings w/ a unique bolt circle?

So can you run something other than an 11 speed chain on those rings? something like a sram PC-1 chain, anybody know? or would that roach the rings or something.

Otherwise I guess I'll have to have two different cranksets or just run a 1x10 instead.

thx,

tOm

usually cranky
    i may be wrong but i see no reason why an 11 speed chain wouldn't work on a ss ring.

tOmmygunn
    My fear is that the 11 speed chain used with out the flex/slack allowed for by a derailluer would be prone to break if used as a single speed chain, but really I don't know what the hell I'm talking about it might work fine I just don't want to find out the hard way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Rumor has it that the chainring is shaped in some spots. Instead of just having regular teeth it has teeth shaped like +'s or squares that allow you to ride without a chain guide. They calculated preciously to the chain gaps as they go around. If that rumor isn't true let me know. Here's a quote from a seller..."SRAM XX1 Chainrings - Tooth profile alternates thickness by inner and outer links for maximum chain control 6mm thick - Must be used with XX1 11-speed chain"

wrench
    ^Nope, not true. We used XX1 rings with 10spd PC1091 chains for half of last year. Many Sram pro sponsored riders rode XX1 cranks with 10spd XX at the Olympics and World Championships last year. I too have ridden it with 10 and 11 spd chains. No difference. If you want to use an XX1 crank/ring for single speed, just get a 10 spd chain to dedicate to that set up and keep the 11spd chain for the 1x11 set up.

Matto

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

XX1 cranks can you use them w/ a single speed setup? will they work w/ sram PC

@mattomoto are you saying they ran XX1 upfront with 10-speed cassettes in he back, or are you only taking about running 10-speed chains? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/...3l5-500-70.jpg

The chainrings do have alternating teeth... not sure how this will effect anything.

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Spillway View Post
    @mattomoto are you saying they ran XX1 upfront with 10-speed cassettes in he back, or are you only taking about running 10-speed chains? Thanks.
    That is correct, we ran them with 10spd cassettes and 10spd chains. No issues.

eag
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've been using xx1 crank with 10spd shimano chain and cassette for months, no issues and it's the best 1x10 crank ever. No guide and no dropped chain, never, even in rough tahoe and santa cruz rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

XX1 cranks can you use them w/ a single speed setup? will they work w/ sram PC

Awesome info. Thanks. You may have just made my wallet a little lighter.