mtbr member
    Apr 2013

We the people ... xx1 Crank removal

Hi. Just trying to fit an XX1 group set to my Ibis Tranny. I've installed new Hope BB with GXP conversion and there is about 3mm play after torquing down. I removed the bolt but the crank arm is stuck fast. Is there a crank puller I need to remove it as Iím reluctant to start hammering?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a GXP XX1 crank and it has 2 bolts. The outside one should work as a self extractor as far as I know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi I hope I'm not being dumb, this fist time I've use Sram componets. I have a 8mm Bolt with a 10mm dust cover.
    I assumed it was self extracting as there is not tool for sale but is not working for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, it worked that way on my X.0 crank and that is basicly the same crank. So only use the 8mm Allen. Since you have to torq it to 45Nm it can be a pain to remove again. Use a 8mm Allen with sufficient lever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I recently had to remove my XX1 and it definitely took some added leverage to get the crank started. (had to use an 8mm with ratchet handle as opposed to an allen key to get sufficient leverage) As mentioned above, I used an 8mm and left the 10mm dust cap in place as the extractor.

Also, during the initial installation, I had a gap and had to tap the crank arm with a rubber mallet to get it to seat correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mast3rof0 View Post
    I recently had to remove my XX1 and it definitely took some added leverage to get the crank started. (had to use an 8mm with ratchet handle as opposed to an allen key to get sufficient leverage) As mentioned above, I used an 8mm and left the 10mm dust cap in place as the extractor.

Also, during the initial installation, I had a gap and had to tap the crank arm with a rubber mallet to get it to seat correctly.
    You may have needed a spacer. The instructions also said to grease very well and if it did not tighten up to remove and grease and torque again. I always have to use a ratchet to remove.