mtbr member
    Oct 2007

XX Shifter with X9 Derail

I want to upgrade my 2x10 X7 shifters for a crisper feel, more adjustability, and to loose a few grams while I'm at it. I have X9 derailleurs which I don't plan to upgrade. Will XX or X0 shifters both work with my X9 derails? I believe they all have the same cable pull, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't work, but the info on the SRAM site implies that may not be the case.

The XX shifter page says"Compatibility SRAM XX 2X10 only"
    The XO shifter page says"Compatibility Exact Actuation RD (XX, XO 10) SRAM FD"

Just to be on the safe side, can anyone confirm that both XX and XO shifters will work fine w/ X9 derailleurs? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Edit: missed the 6th word in your post. Yes it will work
    Last edited by the-one1; 01-19-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by c_t_smith View Post
    I want to upgrade my 2x10 X7 shifters for a crisper feel, more adjustability, and to loose a few grams while I'm at it. I have X9 derailleurs which I don't plan to upgrade. Will XX or X0 shifters both work with my X9 derails? I believe they all have the same cable pull, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't work, but the info on the SRAM site implies that may not be the case.

The XX shifter page says"Compatibility SRAM XX 2X10 only"
    The XO shifter page says"Compatibility Exact Actuation RD (XX, XO 10) SRAM FD"

Just to be on the safe side, can anyone confirm that both XX and XO shifters will work fine w/ X9 derailleurs? Thanks.
    As long as your RD is 10-sp (and is sounds like it is) it will work just fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It certainly seemed like they'd all be compatible, but I appreciate you guys clearing up what SRAM had mis-stated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    SRAM is probably just slow in updating the website and/or has just cut and pasted. When XX was released it was only compatible with itself
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"