Thread: xx fixable?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

xx fixable?

Yesterday i dislodged a rock on "warmpuppy trail" in ringwood, with the nearly new sram xx deraileur , ouch x2. I have already ordered a replacement x9 tenspeed deraileur and a deraileur hanger(it looks straight) ,there was no way i was gonna jump for xx replacement $$$.$$. The point of impact was the cage and lower knuckle,(shadow would have done no better)and the upper knickle shattered right where the pivot pin goes through. Well i noticed the little clips on the pivot pins and started to strip down the xx for possible spare parts or upgrades to my new deraileur.There are some very very trick parts on this thing. It took a little doing ,a snap ring tool made with a spoke and a grinder,and i have removed the broken part. If i could only buy that upper knuckle and maybe a bushing or two and a few of those clips (non reusable?),i think i could put this thing back together in about 15 minutes.I have gathered the proper work supports,it's not heart surgury. Anybody know it these parts can be bought from sram, i looked up their website and they seem to only show the knuckles/links as a single part , with cages and hanger bolts and pulleys ect ect being available as parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    To my knowledge the parts aren't available as spares, but if you bought a replacement made with common (dimensionally identical) parts, you can save the usable ones from the damages RD for use in the future.

BTW- odds are you also bent the hanger. Most can be straightened, so you may not a new one, but have it checked for squareness.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i bought the hanger as a spare,after a few straightenings, especially if you don't get it quite right the first time, and they snap pretty easy.