mtbr member
    Feb 2004

XX Crank GXP BB Interference

I have a new XX GXP Crankset that won't fit inside a GXP BB. The drive side fits but the non drive side bearing is too small to slide over the crank spindle. The non-drive side bearing ID measures 22.17mm; maybe this means it's a 22mm ID bearing. Looking for ideas, suggestions... help, in getting this sorted out. Bought a SRAM BB to avoid parts interchangibilty probelms but, alas, not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gf101 View Post
    I have a new XX GXP Crankset that won't fit inside a GXP BB. The drive side fits but the non drive side bearing is too small to slide over the crank spindle. The non-drive side bearing ID measures 22.17mm; maybe this means it's a 22mm ID bearing. Looking for ideas, suggestions... help, in getting this sorted out. Bought a SRAM BB to avoid parts interchangibilty probelms but, alas, not.
    Pull the crank out of the bottom bracket and double check that the left side of the crank arm does not go into the left-hand cup/bearing. That will, at the very least, rule out a poor/unfaced bottom bracket shell interfering with the alignment of the cups (which can cause the very issue that you are having).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Interference

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Pull the crank out of the bottom bracket and double check that the left side of the crank arm does not go into the left-hand cup/bearing. That will, at the very least, rule out a poor/unfaced bottom bracket shell interfering with the alignment of the cups (which can cause the very issue that you are having).
    There's nothing to pull out. The crank spindle won't go into the non-drive side BB bearing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

There's nothing to pull out. The crank spindle won't go into the non-drive side BB bearing.
    Couple questions:

Is the bb new?
    What type of bb was installed previous?
    When was your bb shell faced and chased?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    Couple questions:

Is the bb new?
    What type of bb was installed previous?
    When was your bb shell faced and chased?
    BB is not new
    I previously had a different style crank and BB. Changing over to XX and a GXP BB.
    I tried to install the bearing on the crank spindle while out of the bike and the bearing won't slide on the spindle. I'm trying to verify the correct bearing ID. Do you know?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm not that familiar with the SRAM cranks but I gather the non drive side should be 22mm. The bearing just goes over the smaller spline area and stops against the rest of the spindle. The spindle should be 24mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I usually need a mallet to caress the spindle through the non drive side bearing. I have never tried to fit the bearing over the spindle without the bb installed.

Don't overlook the face and chase of BB. It is important to ensure maximum performance from any BSA system.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue on a GXP Road Bottom bracket. I think it was produced sometime around October-December 2010. Sram warrantied it, and the replacement fit fine.

I tried so hard to get that crank in there (my wifes new custom bike), that I couldn't get it out without hitting the end of the BB spindle with a mallet, when it came out, it flew across the room.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Tapping the crank out of the drive side bearing is not uncommon...a light tap with a rubber mallet. But, was your bad non drive side bearing so small it wouldn't go over the spline?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    the non drive side bearing is too small to slide over the crank spindle.
    The NDS bearing is not supposed to slide all the way onto the spindle. The spindle has a step in it that contacts the inner race of the bearing. The spindle slides through the DS bearing and the splined end of the spindle should slide into the NDS bb bearing and then stop with just the splines exposed. This is how axial play is eliminated from the crankset. Sounds like it might be ok to me.

Am I missing something here?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Agree to all you said. Do you if the ID of the NDS bearing is the same for SRAM, FSA and Raceface? And ditto for the width of the bearing? My SRAM NDS bearing is wider than my FSA or Raceface BB. So when the SRAM bearing sits on the spline it is more stable (doesn't rock as much) than the thinner RF or FSA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    FSA and RF BB's are not compatible with SRAM GXP cranks. The FSA cranks that I've seen use a wavy washer to control axial preload. Not sure about RF, but I think they use washers and some sort of hard stop on the spindle. I believe both FSA and RF systems use identical bearings DS and NDS, similar to Shimano, while SRAM GXP BBs have different bearings DS and NDS.

Actually, the DS bb cup may be compatible, but I have no idea why anyone would run mismatched bb cups...

mtbr member
    Tapping the crank out of the drive side bearing is not uncommon...a light tap with a rubber mallet. But, was your bad non drive side bearing so small it wouldn't go over the spline?
    Yes, it wouldn't go over the spline, and the drive side crank arm wouldn't pull into position.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com