mtbr member
    Jul 2005

XTRcrank/XT derailler

I just installed a new xtr external bb crankset on my bike. The problem is,if it is installed as per instructions , it should have two spacers on the drive side. If I do this then the xt front derailler does'nt seem to have enough throw for the outer chainring. If I only go with one spacer the crank comes pretty close to my chainstay.Anybody have this problem before? Does an xtr fd have more throw?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doncoyote
    I just installed a new xtr external bb crankset on my bike. The problem is,if it is installed as per instructions , it should have two spacers on the drive side. If I do this then the xt front derailler does'nt seem to have enough throw for the outer chainring. If I only go with one spacer the crank comes pretty close to my chainstay.Anybody have this problem before? Does an xtr fd have more throw?
    What generation XT fd do u have? Cuz I think the older M750 may have that problem, but I do believe ive seen the M760 work with the xtr crank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I'ts the new 760

thats why I'm confused as to why it won't work

Chrome Toaster
    Make sure the high limiter screw is far out enough to allow it to move. What size is your BB shell? You only need two spacers if its 68mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yup, it's a 68mm .