Thread: XTR w/ XO FD

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

XTR w/ XO FD

Just ordered a bike, and the drivetrain setup has me a bit curious. All XTR components (2x10 setup), with the exception of an XO FD. Even looks like the trigger for the FD is XTR. Will this work, or would I be better off getting rid of the XO FD and purchasing an XTR part?

Details:
    Crankset XTR 986 38/26 (2x10)
    RD XTR+ medium cage
    Cassette XTR 10 speed
    Shifters XTR
    Chain XTR
    FD SRAM XO

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I think it should be fine with the X0 FD. I wouldn't switch unless you run into some issue. As to why that FD was spec'd I don't know but it could be something to do with the way it mounts, the cable routing and fixing point or something like that where it's the best FD to avoid interference with the chain during suspension cycling or whatnot. Hard to say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You can mix front derailleurs with front shifters between Shimano and Sram, but not rear derailleurs and rear derailleurs. That setup is weird though. My experience is that SRAM rear derailleurs/shifters are superior (not to start a war here), but Shimano front derailleurs are better. Specialized even for a few years spec-ed their Sram bikes with Shimano FDs. Odd to see it the other way around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    You can mix front derailleurs with front shifters between Shimano and Sram, but not rear derailleurs and rear derailleurs. That setup is weird though. My experience is that SRAM rear derailleurs/shifters are superior (not to start a war here), but Shimano front derailleurs are better. Specialized even for a few years spec-ed their Sram bikes with Shimano FDs. Odd to see it the other way around.
    Agree and like Shimano cassettes more. Chains from both are overrated and overpriced, KMC FTW.