mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XTR vs. SRAM X.0

I'm building a new bike from scratch and am planning on a SRAM X.0/Avid/DT Swiss component selection. I can build a complete XTR bike for the same price. Total weight seems to be a wash between the two solutions.

If it was you, which solution would you pick and why?

bike weenie
    I've used latest incarnation of XTR, and have XO on my bike now - I found Shimano to be a little finicky, requiring more fine tuning than SRAM - and prefer the more positive feel of the SRAM vs the Shimano light action. That said, when adjusted properly - the XTR works well.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    well said......for me personally, no brainer -> SRAM

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    For me no comparison. X.0 trigger shifters/der. are far .............. superior to XTR 960. And even better than XTR 952 which i thought was as good as it could get. The X.0 is quick shifting, not finicky at all, light, lots of adjustments for placement. I do not know about it's durability, have not had it long enough. The 960 is terrible in my opinion, very finicky, constantly requires new cables because of the reverse action, very....... hard to shift front chainring ... A real backwards step for Shimano in my opinion. Someone in their design area believes that reverse action is the only way to go. It failed in the 952 marketplace, so they forced it on the customer with the 960 shifters. Bad mistake in my eyes. If Shimano keeps this up, they are going to be 2nd place to SRAM.
    And i like Shimano stuff. Never wanted to try SRAM because a long time ago tried Grip Shift and hated it.

Sir Crashalot

Not X.0, but...

I swapped Shimano for SRAM X.9 and prefer the quiet, quick, all-thumb shifting. Not sure if I'd go back to Shimano rear der and shifters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nacraman
    I'm building a new bike from scratch and am planning on a SRAM X.0/Avid/DT Swiss component selection. I can build a complete XTR bike for the same price. Total weight seems to be a wash between the two solutions.

I have two bikes, one with complete XTR960 and one with X.0 twisters and an X.0 rear mech. Prior to these two I have had bikes with XTR 952, first year XTR960 and older XT 8spd.

Anyway to answer your question, don't believe all this pro-Shimano or pro-SRAM arguments. Both systems are excellent. Both are easy to keep running well.

Choose your system based primarily on which shifting action you prefer. Secondly on cost and asthetics.

I love twisters and I love Dual Control - neither more than the other. I do prefer them both to triggers. But that's me, not you.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    I would do the Sram. I used Shimano for years, and wasn't sure if I'd like the trigger shifters from Sram. After my XTR cage snapped off while sliding into a shrub, I decided to try X.9 triggers. There is simply no comparison. They shift cleaner, with more precision, the derailleur (sp?) is easier to tune, and the thumb shifting (especially shifting towards 9th gear) is just way more natural.

I have this setup on my DH bike, and everytime I go to use my 6" trail bike that still has Shimano XTR, I feel like I'm shifting like a tard

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Twist shifters

If you are considering twist type shifters, consider the following situation. Going downhill and making a sharp turn at the bottom with an immediate uphill. Try shifting and braking at the same time with twist shifters! Very common situation in race courses. But small & simplicity of twist shifters is attractive. Plus lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdcd
    If you are considering twist type shifters, consider the following situation. Going downhill and making a sharp turn at the bottom with an immediate uphill. Try shifting and braking at the same time with twist shifters! Very common situation in race courses. But small & simplicity of twist shifters is attractive. Plus lighter.
    You can brake and shift at the same time with gripshift, just takes some practice to do. Plus dumping a whole lot of gears quickly is significanly easier with gripshifts - i'd say that in the situation you've just described gripshift would be just as good, if not better, than triggers. but that's just me.

the catalan connection
    I think the best thing you can run for this situation is a reverse spring derailleur, after that, pick the shifter that you feel more comfortable.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    For me, I find what works best is a combination of both. I'm using a XTR Crankset and XTR FD together with X9 RD and X0 Triggers. The X-Gen FD sure is a little strange and doesn't shift that well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For me no comparison. X.0 trigger shifters/der. are far .............. superior to XTR 960. And even better than XTR 952 which i thought was as good as it could get. The X.0 is quick shifting, not finicky at all, light, lots of adjustments for placement. I do not know about it's durability, have not had it long enough. The 960 is terrible in my opinion, very finicky, constantly requires new cables because of the reverse action, very....... hard to shift front chainring ... A real backwards step for Shimano in my opinion. Someone in their design area believes that reverse action is the only way to go. It failed in the 952 marketplace, so they forced it on the customer with the 960 shifters. Bad mistake in my eyes. If Shimano keeps this up, they are going to be 2nd place to SRAM.
    And i like Shimano stuff. Never wanted to try SRAM because a long time ago tried Grip Shift and hated it.
    I have limited time on XTR parts but find the sentiments about the X.0 triggers and rear der spot on.
    Last edited by Asahi; 11-17-2005 at 06:24 AM.

Savvy?
    I don't have any real SRAM experience, but I do like my XTR setup...I've been very pleased with its performance.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My set up on my next drivetrain change.

RD: XO or X9 mid cage. The short cage is nice but carbon can break too easily if hit on something. Have old skool XTR short cage now. Quick shifting, but its showing its age. Probably go X9 mid cage.
    FD: XT, Gen X has too narrow a cage.
    Left/Fr.Shifter: Twist shift to trim the der.
    RIght/Rear Shifter: XO or X9 Trigger.

I've had Shimano for years, never owned SRAM, but the reviews sound good and the few times I test rode them, they seemed good. The XO stuff is just ridiculously priced for '06. So unless theres a killer deal, X9 is fine.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'm a mix and match guy!

I use X9 shifters and rear der. I use XTR chains with XT cassettes and front der. I would go X0 but they are cost prohibitive for me. I certainly would spend the extra dough on X0 if I thought the performance was good enough to justify the cost. It doesn't! So, I say mix and match parts.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I use X9 shifters and rear der. I use XTR chains with XT cassettes and front der. I would go X0 but they are cost prohibitive for me. I certainly would spend the extra dough on X0 if I thought the performance was good enough to justify the cost. It doesn't! So, I say mix and match parts.

Jaybo

Have you used the X.0 Rear mech and triggers?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yes, but not far

Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    Have you used the X.0 Rear mech and triggers?
    It is clearly a bit nicer shifting but not enough to justify the stupid pricing of X0.

Jaybo