Sponsored by Xanax

XTR shifters rebuildable? Where to get parts?

I've got some XTR M950 shifters (8 speed) that I'd like to use again. Problem is, part of the right (rear) shifting mechanism broke one day when it was on my old bike, and I carefully opened it up to find a snapped plastic bit that can't be replaced by itself. This sucks, because these are expensive shifters and more importantly, I really like them.

Does anyone know if internals are available for rebuilding these shifters? My only other option is to find one on Ebay or on this site and swap the guts out.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Roostalee
    I've got some XTR M950 shifters (8 speed) that I'd like to use again. Problem is, part of the right (rear) shifting mechanism broke one day when it was on my old bike, and I carefully opened it up to find a snapped plastic bit that can't be replaced by itself. This sucks, because these are expensive shifters and more importantly, I really like them.

Does anyone know if internals are available for rebuilding these shifters? My only other option is to find one on Ebay or on this site and swap the guts out.
    As someone who's taken apart the 950 series and the 910 series of shifters... yeah it is possible to take them apart and repair 'em. It's not easy, and it's not fun.

The shifters feel like working on a watch. I dunno how many parts are available, but swapping out the shifting body from a donor pair on E-bay is your most likely bet. I did that in the past. The only place I have seen the shifters advertised over the past year were at Cambria, and Bikeman has stuff hiding in their 'attic'. Other than that... if you have an old crotchey shop guy around, or swap meets coming up...

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...