mtbr member
    Aug 2012

XTR Shadow Plus M986 Rear Der.

This derailleur is fantastic (I have no connection with Shimano) b/c it has yet to miss a shift, regardless of my mis-gearing on unknown trails and unanticipated switchbacks.

Here's my issue: I know that the cable is soon to stretch and then I'll need to tighten the tension in the derailleur... apparently the derailleur has a tool inside it to adjust the cable tension (no more easy to use barrel adjustment).

Where is this tool and how do I use it?

This seems like that scene in Zoolander where the "files are IN the computer."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You have two different things that you are talking about and mixed up together.

1) Shift cable is adjusted as usual by the adjuster on the shifter. Most modern RD's no longer have a barrel adjuster on the RD. It is now located on the shifter. I am guessing this is what threw you off.

2) The clutch mechanism is what keeps it from banging around and can (if needed) be adjusted by removing the plastic cap on the RD and inside is the actual tiny tool used to tension the clutch. Once done you put the tiny tool back inside and replace the cover. To adjust you use the tool by adding or removing tension by turning a screw inside the area exposed when you removed the cover.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Much obliged!
    The last mtn bike that I had was an 07' Titus Racer X. It had a barrel adjustment on the shifter and the rear derailleur. I see that my XTR M985 shifters have the barrel on the shifter, but I've always used that to "fine tune" the derailleur or to make "on the fly adjustments."

It seems like Shimano has dialed in the engineering so that only one barrel adjuster is required to make the cable tension changes b/c the clutch takes up the majority of the slack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Again, I think you are confused.

The barrel adjuster adjusts the cable tension for changing gears.

The clutch adjustment adjusts the clutch that prevents the cage from moving forward while going over rough terrain.

Your RD should have a switch on it. Turn it "on" and pull the cage towards the front of the bike. Turn it "off" and pull the cage towards the front of the bike. You should have much more resistance with the clutch "on". The reason why it has a switch is to make it easier to take the rear wheel out in the "off" position.

Tech Tuesday - Inside Shimano's Shadow Plus Mech and How To Adjust It - Pinkbike

Plays with tools
    The clutch has absolutely nothing to do with the cable tension. Shimano got rid of the second barrel adjuster because it was redundant and added a little bit of weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Again, I think you are confused.

The barrel adjuster adjusts the cable tension for changing gears.

The clutch adjustment adjusts the clutch that prevents the cage from moving forward while going over rough terrain.

Your RD should have a switch on it. Turn it "on" and pull the cage towards the front of the bike. Turn it "off" and pull the cage towards the front of the bike. You should have much more resistance with the clutch "on". The reason why it has a switch is to make it easier to take the rear wheel out in the "off" position.

Tech Tuesday - Inside Shimano's Shadow Plus Mech and How To Adjust It - Pinkbike
    Beautiful! Thx!