mtbr member
    Nov 2005

XTR Shadow Plus increase in friction?

How much more friction does the xtr shadow plus rear D have on downshifts while in the big ring of a 2x10? Does it make a nice clean rear shifter feel like it's a fully enclosed shifter housing setup?

mtbr member
    not sure what you are asking. the shadow plus tech doesn't have anything to do with friction in the shifter housing - just a clutch in the rear der that keeps the chain tension. anywho...i'm running this on a 2x10 set up and i love it. see me kissing my crank in my avatar? shifting is great - up or down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just asking since I've read a few reports of the clutch taking away from the usual Shimano light action and crispness especially on downshifts while in the big ring. Those reports are in the minority, but a one or two mags mentioned it. Didn't know if it was early model issue or improper setup.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    not sure what you are asking. the shadow plus tech doesn't have anything to do with friction in the shifter housing - just a clutch in the rear der that keeps the chain tension. anywho...i'm running this on a 2x10 set up and i love it. see me kissing my crank in my avatar? shifting is great - up or down.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Just asking since I've read a few reports of the clutch taking away from the usual Shimano light action and crispness especially on downshifts while in the big ring. Those reports are in the minority, but a one or two mags mentioned it. Didn't know if it was early model issue or improper setup.
    It does increase the lever effort required to shift to a larger cog. Can not say how much.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I put an XTR Shadow Plus on my Trance Advanced SL a couple weeks ago (with XTR shifters). Yes it does make a significant difference in the feel (friction) of the shifts to larger cogs. That said, it makes a HUGE difference on the trail as far as chain slap and keeping the chain on the front chaining. I love my Shadow Plus.

The friction is adjustable if you take the cover off of the clutch. Shimano even includes a tool built into the derailleur to make the adjustment. The tighter you make the clutch the tougher it is to shift the chain up a cog. Pinkbike has some good info.

I'm planing to install Gore cables to minimize the effect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SRAM's Type 2 rear D reportedly has much less friction on downshifts than XTR Shadow Plus.

SRAM Type 2 Rear Derailleur - First Ride - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    I noticed the additional effort required at the shifter immediately after installing my Shadow Plus. That being said, its well worth it. The benefits far outweigh the this minor negative.

mtbr member
    Upgraded to GORE cables with the XTR Shaddow Plus and I'm very pleased with the results. As expected the pressure required is significantly reduced for both front and rear derailleur shifts.