Thread: XTR or RF DEUS

MOO
    mtbr member

New question here. XTR or RF DEUS

I in for a new crankset any advise would be helpful. XTR or RACE FACE DEUS. Does any one make replacement chainrings for XTR ?

Thanks
    Moo

mtbr member
    With all the posts of people having crank arms coming loose on the RF Deus cranks, excessive bearing drag, plastic/rubber spacers which chew themsleves up, and a bad bearing pre-load design, I wouldn't touch them. They have been having these problems since they first came out with no changes so far, quite a few people post how they have went through several cranks in a couple of years with major problems.

Also, the X-type external BB RF Deus crank isn't even as stiff as the older XT Octalink BB cranks or as stiff as the new XTR external BB cranks.

The one-off chainrings does kind of suck though.

There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Do you guys know if the RF Deus is compact or standard? The reason I ask is that I understand that a compact RF Deus will not work with a XTR front derailleur. Something about the curve of the XTR cage is not the same as the curve of the compact rings. Can you help clear this up or direct me to other posts that have asked this question?

MOO
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    Do you guys know if the RF Deus is compact or standard? The reason I ask is that I understand that a compact RF Deus will not work with a XTR front derailleur. Something about the curve of the XTR cage is not the same as the curve of the compact rings. Can you help clear this up or direct me to other posts that have asked this question?
    I have never heard of any xtr fd problems with rf cranks. I think the big chainring is 44 teeth which is becoming standard and 42 teeth is on the way out. The only problem I have seen is with a 46 teeth chainring on certain frames where the derailleur has to be raised on the seat tube and then gets into the main pivot chainstay area and can cause problems. I have only seen this happen with bottom pull xtr fd but it is more a function of frame design and not crank design. But then again I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dude, STAY AWAY from RF cranks... the new Deus is a hunk of sh*t. I have blown through 4 sets of BB bearings... they are junk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have the RF Deus on both my bikes. One with several hundred miles on the crankset, which i know is not a lot of miles. But i really like the RF Deus. Very easy to setup, and you can adjust the chainline. You do need to get the spacers correct or they will drag, but their installation instructions are pretty good. No chain suck with either bike. Can't say that when i had the XTR cranks on my fuel.

I had an XTR (960) crankset and was buying a new middle ring every 3 months. The middle ring wears out really fast and i could not find anyone that made a compatible ring, so had to buy Shimano. And we know what that means $$$$. Also, the first Shimano BB wore out in less than 500 miles. Do not think the RF could be any worse than that. The Shimano does not allow you to adjust the chainline and always had chainsuck on my fuel. I believe the Shimano is a 47mm chainline which i believe is too small(close into the frame). Not sure on this though. The Shimano crank definately looks nice and is light. Just going to be expensive to keep in chain rings.

I loved the old XTR 952 cranks. Those chain rings and bb lasted forever and worked much better than the 960 cranks. Again just my opinion.

Another crank that i have used and liked is the Truvativ, i believe GXP. Shifted nice, easy to setup and a wider chainline than the Shimano. And chain rings were way............. cheaper than Shimano.

Shimano is getting ridiculously high priced on it's high end parts. Just bought a new DA 10speed cassette. $210!!!!
    Last edited by mtbdcd; 02-08-2006 at 07:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Lots of companies makes replacements for XTR,

Some of the companies that make replacement chainrings for XTR M960 cranks are Middleburn, TA Specialites and (I you have the cash for Ti rings Boone ).
    For the Middleburn as you can see the cost is almost half of what Shimano is charging for their rings http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=7097