mtbr member
    Sep 2010

xtr remote shifter compatibility/9 speed

Need some help here. I found an xtr bar-end remote shifter at a local shop, but my shifters are 2005-07 rapidfire megarange. I am wondering if anyone here has used the xt sl-m770
    shifters with the xtr remote. There's another shop in town with a bunch of used parts, but I am not sure how to identify a rapidfire shifter that will be remote compatible. I guess the remote shifter came out in 1998, but I've heard it will function with a 9 speed cassette too. If anyone can provide some guidance/advice it'd much appreciated!

The pics are recent 'remote' experiments w/ thumbshifters. Now that I've found the xtr remote I need to try it on my rapidfire equipped bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xtr remote shifter compatibility/9 speed-dsc01341.jpg  

xtr remote shifter compatibility/9 speed-dsc01337.jpg  

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbikes
    Need some help here. I found an xtr bar-end remote shifter at a local shop, but my shifters are 2005-07 rapidfire megarange. I am wondering if anyone here has used the xt sl-m770
    shifters with the xtr remote. There's another shop in town with a bunch of used parts, but I am not sure how to identify a rapidfire shifter that will be remote compatible. I guess the remote shifter came out in 1998, but I've heard it will function with a 9 speed cassette too. If anyone can provide some guidance/advice it'd much appreciated!

The pics are recent 'remote' experiments w/ thumbshifters. Now that I've found the xtr remote I need to try it on my rapidfire equipped bike.
    The XTR remote shift lever is nothing more than a dumb lever. No indexing. No clicks. When connected to the compatible shifter it just activates the shift. The main shifter is still in command.

The hard part is finding the proper XTR shifter.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You need to use the 951 or 952 XTR shifters I think for the remote shifter pods.

Should be able to find them on Ebay. Those remote shifters are frickin' awesome if you like bar ends.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There are other shifters that work as well, like 9 speed xt shifters for instance. My intent was to find out how to identify the 'remote compatible' part so I know what I'm looking for, in a large box of shifters/parts. It's going to be hard to find the right thing if I don't know what to look for.

mtbr member
    The compatable one will have a little black plug covering up a hole in both the up paddle and down paddle on the shifter. It'll be obvious once you see it. All you need to do is pop out the plugs and run cables to the remote shifter and all it does is pull the shift paddles from the remote location. Make sense?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ok gotcha, thanks. Did not see anything like that in the bins today, but if that's all I need, would it be possible to just drill a couple holes in the rapidfire megarange shifters I already have ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbikes
    There are other shifters that work as well, like 9 speed xt shifters for instance. My intent was to find out how to identify the 'remote compatible' part so I know what I'm looking for, in a large box of shifters/parts. It's going to be hard to find the right thing if I don't know what to look for.
    There's also a couple of oddly placed cable housing stops on the shifter. I'm not sure you can make it work without the proper shifter. It seems impossible to find a picture of the thing for some reason.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Not to mention they only made the remote for the RIGHT shifter.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Not to mention they only made the remote for the RIGHT shifter.
    Or more correctly, only the right (rear) shifter was compatible with the remote lever.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common