mtbr member

XTR rear der rough on up shifts

I have an XTR M960 rear derailleur with XTR M966 dc levers. Shifting down from high gear to low is perfectly smooth but it's having problems shifting up (going down to a smaller cog). It usually happens on the three largest sprockets, like going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. Also happens when I use 2 or all 3 upshift clicks (pushing the lever all the way down).

I've been playing with the B tension and adjusting barrel on the lever with no luck. I think the limit stops are already set correctly. Anybody had this problem and what did you do to fix it aside from getting a new derailleur?

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by extrafunky
    I have an XTR M960 rear derailleur with XTR M966 dc levers. Shifting down from high gear to low is perfectly smooth but it's having problems shifting up (going down to a smaller cog). It usually happens on the three largest sprockets, like going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. Also happens when I use 2 or all 3 upshift clicks (pushing the lever all the way down).

I've been playing with the B tension and adjusting barrel on the lever with no luck. I think the limit stops are already set correctly. Anybody had this problem and what did you do to fix it aside from getting a new derailleur?

Is that a rapid rise or a regular derailer? It may be that you have a lot of friction in the cable. Does it shift eventually? Be more specific.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Is that a rapid rise or a regular derailer? It may be that you have a lot of friction in the cable. Does it shift eventually? Be more specific.
    It's a rapid rise. It actually shifts but there's a clicking noise and pedaling is rough. If I upshift one more smaller sprocket down, then downshift back immediately, it'll be fine. What's more frustating is that on the bike stand, it shifts smoothly on all gears, in all direction. .

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by extrafunky
    It's a rapid rise. It actually shifts but there's a clicking noise and pedaling is rough. If I upshift one more smaller sprocket down, then downshift back immediately, it'll be fine. What's more frustating is that on the bike stand, it shifts smoothly on all gears, in all direction. .
    Sounds like your cable needs a tiny adjustment. 1/4 turn of the barrel adjuster one way or the other. Also check that you hanger and/or derailer is not bent.

There can be only one...
    Jan 2004
    check the pulleys on the derailer to see how they line up with the cog ur trying to shift to
    that will tell you which way to turn the adjuster barrel.
    i had the same problem on mine when i first set it up. i have an m960 with the dual control.
    just needs a little tweaking.

the catalan connection

You mean it works, but not so nicely?

Mine too. Asuming everything is adjusted fine (limit screws, cable tension..etc) I think the culprit of the not so crisp move down the first three or so cogs could be the design of the parallelogram and the cable routing. If you look at the cable bit that goes from the barrel to the clamp of the der.when at rest(highest cog) you´ll see it makes a considerable curve. When you pull it to shift down the curved cable will act a bit like a spring, giving some spongy feel at the lever, but will get better as you shift down becouse the cable will describe a more and more straight line. Is that what´s happening to you? Is not a real problem though, but could be solved with a sort of articulated cable stop at the der. body. This doesn´t happen on high normal derailleurs becouse the clamp and the cable entrance are much more on line through all the range.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot