mtbr member

XTR rear der. question

The lower pivot of my der appears to be shot. There is no abnormal play but there is a high amount of friction and no return spring. Is this something I can fix? Can I take the lower pivot apart?

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevan
    The lower pivot of my der appears to be shot. There is no abnormal play but there is a high amount of friction and no return spring. Is this something I can fix? Can I take the lower pivot apart?
    Yup - shimano rear D's are totally dis-assemble-able. If that's not a word, it should be.

There is a spring tensioning the cage = it seats in one of two little holes. It may have broken or just popped out of the hole. You should be able to pick up a new spring from your LBS for pretty cheap.

Zinn's Mountainbike Maintenance book has instructions on how to take them apart... from what I remember, it involves taking the pulleys off, removing some tiny hex-bolt on the knuckle, and carefully pulling the inner cage out. You have to tension the spring a 1/2 turn when you reassemble it.

Chrome Toaster
    Yeah that part is serviceable. You can take the cage off to reach the spring. It might be really full of crud in there or the spring could have popped out of the tension hole or broken. That spring is the same for all Shimano derrailleurs and can be ordered or you can just pull it out of any old junked derrailleur you or a shop might have lying around.

mtbr member

I got it apart.

One large titanium bolt holds it together. There are three channels on the bolt, one of which appears to be for a small o-ring. Inside appeared to be the remains of an o-ring. It would have to be a very small one. Where can I get this o-ring, if that's what it is? I put it back together with grease and will keep an eye on it for now.