mtbr member
    Nov 2008

XTR Pedal Cleats for old school pedals

Hey everyone. I ran into a problem with my 2011 XTR Pedals. Luckily, I've got a buddy with a back up pair of XTR pedals from like the 1995's. Will my current XTR cleats work with the old school pedals? Have they changed the cleats since then? They do click in and out but they feel like they have a lot more float than my new ones and will release easier with the turn of the ankle. I've tightened the adjuster all the way to full tension and its helped. Does anyone see a problem with this back up set up?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    Hey everyone. I ran into a problem with my 2011 XTR Pedals. Luckily, I've got a buddy with a back up pair of XTR pedals from like the 1995's. Will my current XTR cleats work with the old school pedals? Have they changed the cleats since then? They do click in and out but they feel like they have a lot more float than my new ones and will release easier with the turn of the ankle. I've tightened the adjuster all the way to full tension and its helped. Does anyone see a problem with this back up set up?
    Old school pedals are not clipless.

But current SPD cleats should work with early XTR pedals, and the SPD pedals that were available before there was XTR.

Worn pedals can feel "looser", and they may also contact your sole soles differently
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Old school pedals are not clipless.

But current SPD cleats should work with early XTR pedals, and the SPD pedals that were available before there was XTR.

Worn pedals can feel "looser", and they may also contact your sole soles differently
    The only exception was the old 959 pedal that used a slightly different cleat

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks guys. I just sent my 980 pedals in for warranty so hopefully this back up set up will work for a while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This is what happened to my 980's yesterday.

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...st8642026.html

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Close, the PD-M959 used the standard SH51 cleats (I owned a pair) that work all the way back to the PD-M737 pedals.

Now its predecessor the PD-M858 uses the SH52 cleat that is not compatible with other Shimano mountain pedals.

ballbuster

Did they?

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I have three sets of M959s on assorted bikes, XTRs, M747s, and M540s, and I ride them all with the same two sets of shoes with the regular SH55 cleats. I have some SIDI Dominator 4s I bought back in 2003, and some old Diadora touring shoes I use for riding rollers at work.

All of my stuff is completely interchangeable with no issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks again guys. I feel better now going into this weekend with the older 747's. Didn't want that hanging over my head. A friend of mind did inform me of the 858's not being compatible with my spd cleats.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Close, the PD-M959 used the standard SH51 cleats (I owned a pair) that work all the way back to the PD-M737 pedals.

Now its predecessor the PD-M858 uses the SH52 cleat that is not compatible with other Shimano mountain pedals.
    Thanks, sometimes my mind struggles to remember 15 year old compatibility crap.