mtbr member
    Mar 2009

XTR Parts from Overseas

My biking partner is thinking about buying XTR parts from a guy on eBay from Hong Kong or Taiwan - I told him they could be knock-off parts, but he seems to think that is unlikely given the seller has a TON of possitive feedback and transactions.

I'd also prefer he support our LBS but he's not quite as well serviced by them as I am (long story, has to do with an ex-girlfriend - go figure!!) Plus, he's a damn good mechanic and does 95% of things himself.

Anyone have experience (good or bad) with buying this way?

Thanks!!

Ultimated Outsider
    I got my XTR cranks from England, I save 200 bucks from what I would have to paid stateside. As long as the sellers is reputable go for it.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I recently bought an XTR M972 shadow rear derailleur from Probikekit.com in UK. Cheap, free shipping, and came in original retail box.

Off the back...
    Yah, I would take PBK or CRC over HK ebay any day.

bike rider
    I got an XTR rear derailleur, brake levers, and calipers from an ebay seller in Taiwan. Took a couple weeks to recieve them but they cost $105, $130 for the set, and $115 per caliper. About what wholesale is here.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Treat all Ebay purchases as if they have no warranty.

I buy as much on there as I can from "decent" sellers knowing the second one of them screws me over I will use my banks charge back procedure. Expecting this will cost me my Paypal account but making SURE I get my money back without being fed around.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Ive bought several xtr brakes and shifters from ebay sellers in china, no problems, they were all OEM I assume as they were in plain plastic bags
    Had a seal go on 1 caliper , Shimano warrantied it no questions asked.
    UK stores (chain reaction) are allmost as cheap

banned
    I've bought some stuff from HK and Taiwanese listed sellers for decent prices and pretty fast shipping.

It has been my theory for some time now that many of these parts are original, BUT they are made by the subcontractor and sold direct by the manufacturer to make some cash on the side. This became evident when Zoke went to Taiwan for their manufacturing for everything, and only then did I see their forks appearing on fleabay for less than dealer cost in the US. Same for RS forks as well. I saw those going out there for well before the Zokes, but once I saw the latter there, it seemed pretty easy to draw the conclusion of what's happening.