mtbr member
    Nov 2010

XTR,New Bottom Bracket question

Have a 2010 XTR M0970 Crank and BB.. Just bought the Wheels Mfg BB, for shimano..My question is the M970 left side arm has that adjustable knurled lock ring to press on the bearing. Do I leave that on for this BB or take it off? When I keep it on it is too tight.Wheels mfg says keep it on.... Any ideas

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the pre-load cap? If so just lightly snug it up finger tight, make sure you get the slack out of the cranks and then tighten down the crank bolts. It only sets pre-load so you can back it off a little after you tighten the crank bolts or take it off if you want but there is no need to.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    are you talking about item #4 on this tech doc?
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608898.pdf

yes you do.. if it's binding you are probably missing item # 5 which is a spacer so the crank arm pinches up against the inner race on the bearings, if you miss placed the spacer/ring it'll press against the seals and bind like you are saying....
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No, There is no pre load cap or pinch bolts on xtr like the ultra/da cranks.. xtr has an adjustable lock ring that pre loads the bearing.. This is the ring that is causing the problem and is not allowing me to tighten the crank arm bolt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yes it is #4 that is the "knurled" ring that is pressing into the bearings.. I do have the spacers on also..

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    Yes it is #4 that is the "knurled" ring that is pressing into the bearings.. I do have the spacers on also..
    there's only one spacer.. #5 goes between that kurled piece and the bearing... not the spacers for the BB's cups that space them off the frame.
    Last edited by thomllama; 02-24-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    No, There is no pre load cap or pinch bolts on xtr like the ultra/da cranks.. xtr has an adjustable lock ring that pre loads the bearing.. This is the ring that is causing the problem and is not allowing me to tighten the crank arm bolt.
    Matters what XTR's you have. Mine have both of the things I mentioned...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    M970... that are with out the pre load or pinch bolts..I will try without the spacer on the adjustment ring to give me a little more room to play with

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Wore out my XTR BB....Need a new one

Should I go XTR or another brand altogether?

Need it fast, online place to get them??

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    Should I go XTR or another brand altogether?

Need it fast, online place to get them??
    Hit up realworldcycling.com. Get ceramic bb's for much less than a regular shimmy one

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I bought the ceramics from Real World last time I rode on the east coast, they did not last too long in the wet conditions, luckily enough I ran into them at the Sea Otter Classic and they replaced my bearings for free, they need to be replaced again though. I have Race Face BBs on two bikes but forked over the dough for a Chris King BB on one of my bikes and have not had any problems with them at all, same for the Chris King headset, no problems ever. Cost is initially higher but they've outlasted any other bearing sets I've ever used.