mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XTR M980 Cassette Issues

Anyone else having problems with XTR M980 cassettes? I've had two of the 11-36 cassettes and seem to have issues with the pins on the Ti cog carriers coming loose, primarily the carrier that the 24 and 28t are pinned to. For reference I race cat 1 XC and weigh ~180 pounds.

After using the cassette exclusively on my race bike for ~1 year I replaced it with another M980 11-36. When removing the worn out cassette I noticed that the pins holding the 24 and 28t to the carrier were loose. Since it was worn out I didn't think much of it and just thought it was a fluke. After replacing the cassette with another I was having great luck with it until this weekend. I was going up a very steep punchy climb and was putting a LOT of power into the pedals. About halfway through the steep climb I heard a CRACK and my leg/quad slammed into my bar/stem, only thing I could think is the chain snapped. After I got off and walked to the top of the climb I found that 1/4 of a Ti cog literally fell out, leaving the other 3/4 of the cog hanging by the single remaining pin. When I removed the cassette from my freehub I found that the pins had completely popped out and were loose in between the carriers/cogs/etc.

The cassette wasn't very worn since it was replaced about 2/3 of the way through last year's race season and only used on my race bike. Now I'm out a $300 cassette and have a gigantic bruise on my quad (I'm lucky that's all that happened).

I'm trying to decide how hard I should push my LBS to get shimano to warranty the cassette. I already had to replace it with an XT cassette since it could be awhile before shimano sees it. The XT cassette seems stronger/more rigid due to the steel cogs and more rigid carrier since 3 cogs are pinned to each carrier. If it's that much stronger/more durable I don't have a huge problem with the ~60 gram weight penalty. At this point I'm not sure I'll use the 980 cassette if they do provide a warranty replacement since I've lost faith in the durability for stronger riders.

Just trying to get a feel for if this is a more common problem than shimano would like to admit. Anyone with experience?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Components typically won't be warrantied once they've been raced on. Companies cite rougher use as the main reason.

I have not personally heard of that happening with XTR/Dura Ace cassettes, but considering the mode of failure, I imagine that if it was going to fail, it would be there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Components typically won't be warrantied once they've been raced on. Companies cite rougher use as the main reason.
    I could possibly understand that, except for the fact that the R in XTR stands for race.

I won't lose any sleep if the cassette doesn't get warrantied, I just won't be buying any more XTR cassettes. Lesson learned. Mainly curious to see if others have experienced similar issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you can't get warranty replacement you could try ordering replacement parts:
    MTB FAQ's

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830708778.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good news, shimano is stepping up and sending a warranty replacement.

Need to decide if I should go with the XT cassette I picked up, or use the XTR replacement. Will the strength/stiffness of the cogs be that much better on the XT?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    Good news, shimano is stepping up and sending a warranty replacement.

Need to decide if I should go with the XT cassette I picked up, or use the XTR replacement. Will the strength/stiffness of the cogs be that much better on the XT?
    Did you ever have a similar problem with the XTR 11-34 cassettes (9 speed)? I wonder if it is the extra leverage from the 36T or is the design for the 10 speed way different on the XTR cassette than the 9 speed versions?

Glad to hear Shimano will provide a warranty replacement.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the info. Sticking with XT cuz they last a couple years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Did you ever have a similar problem with the XTR 11-34 cassettes (9 speed)? I wonder if it is the extra leverage from the 36T or is the design for the 10 speed way different on the XTR cassette than the 9 speed versions?

Glad to hear Shimano will provide a warranty replacement.

BB
    Can't say I've used the 9 speed XTR cassettes. Only began using XTR cassettes when making the jump to 10 speed.

I don't think the breakage has a lot to do with the bigger cog. The main reason I say that is because I was in either the 24 or 28t when the cog/carrier broke. The 32 and 36t cogs are on their own separate carrier. I haven't had any hub issues due to the 36t cogs, although I run fairly stout hubs.

This weekend I rode in KC with an XT cassette 1x10 and seemed to prefer it. Seems slightly stiffer, I didn't get some of the odd sounds I normally get out of the XTR cassette in certain gear combinations. Part of that could be due to the better chainline 1x10 provides.