mtbr member
    Jan 2006

XTR M970 crank tool - anyone have an extra?

I just got a nice new pair of M970 cranks. My local shop doesn't have the tl-fc35 tool to remove the arms.

Anyone have a tl-fc35 tool they would like to sell? New they are over $45. Crazy for a reverse thread bolt!!

Send me a PM if you have an extra.

Aloha,
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    any LBS worth a lick should have plenty in stock for not much

mtbr member
    saw one @ cambria for $35.............still seems tooo much $$$ . But what do i know i got an XT. How much torque you gotta put on that crank arm cap? Can you use a needle nose plier?
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

ups and downs
    The pins on the tool are to install and remove the filler ring not the retaining bolt, so a pin wrench or needle nose will work for that. The tool also acts as the self extracting crank bolt cover, so you do need it if you want to get the cranks off.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That's my problem. I have the cranks uninstalled. The arm is on the spindle pretty good. I need to use the extractor to remove the arm - so I can install on the bike. What a pain!! You don't need the tool to actually install the arm on the bike.

My shop has 6 Epics on the floor with M970 cranks, and no removal tool. I could drive 40 mins to a shop that has one, but I want to have it at home to do maintenance.

Can't imaging $45 bucks for a friggin$@#$@) bolt !! Thats all it is - a bolt !! (reverse thread)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi. I was in the same situation. There are 4 bike stores around my area. None of them carry the tool to buy. It is almost $80 canadian with taxes - which is crazy for what it is. I also asked two of the store mechanics, if i bring my bike in how you gonna remove the crank if you have no proper tools,, anyways... I did find a store that can take my crank arm off, but it is an hour away drive. At that point i just called my friend who has same crankset, and we decided to buy one for 32 bucks from US, and split on it, and use it whenever we want. I just find it crazy to charge almost 80 bucks for something like that in canada, and that most stores do not eaven have that tool to work on your bike..

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by djdirty
    Hi. I was in the same situation. There are 4 bike stores around my area. None of them carry the tool to buy. It is almost $80 canadian with taxes - which is crazy for what it is. I also asked two of the store mechanics, if i bring my bike in how you gonna remove the crank if you have no proper tools,, anyways... I did find a store that can take my crank arm off, but it is an hour away drive. At that point i just called my friend who has same crankset, and we decided to buy one for 32 bucks from US, and split on it, and use it whenever we want. I just find it crazy to charge almost 80 bucks for something like that in canada, and that most stores do not eaven have that tool to work on your bike..

Shimano small parts are stupidly expensive in Canada.

Those tools use to come with every XTR crank, maybe they don't come when the cranks are OEM.