mtbr member
    May 2005

XTR M960 replacement chainrings - 30T?

I currently run a 30-44 double XT M760 on my ride, and will have a set of XTR M960 cranks crossing my path soon. My only requirement to keep them is that I can find a 30T and run the XTR as a double chainring setup as well. I know that the XTR has a funky BCD size, but has anyone come across 30T rings for the M960 XTR cranks?

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by isaac004
    I currently run a 30-44 double XT M760 on my ride, and will have a set of XTR M960 cranks crossing my path soon. My only requirement to keep them is that I can find a 30T and run the XTR as a double chainring setup as well. I know that the XTR has a funky BCD size, but has anyone come across 30T rings for the M960 XTR cranks?

No can do. It won't fit the 102mm bolt pattern on XTR. Technically, it could fit the granny position but I don't think anyone makes them or a 44T 102mm for the middle position. XTR is what it is. If it's not what you want, you'll need to look elsewhere.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You Might Try...

Brett Brown at Boone Technologies. He can build you a 31-tooth 104bcd ring. I have been pondering the same thing to replace my 2x9 with a new external set-up, but the thing keeping me square taper (along with Phil Wood) is the lack of 29-tooth availability. Try him at:

brett@browntechnologies.com
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I currently have a 104mm 30T, but I emailed Boone about making such an item in 102mm. I'm starting to doubt the XTRs tho, just because it would cost so much more in the end.