mtbr member
    May 2004

XTR M960 inner chainring options

I picked up an M960 crankset for a great price, but it is the 24-32-44 version. I would like to swap on either a 21 or 22 tooth inner chainring.

What are my options? I understand Moonhead and Boone both make such an item. Are any better than others? How will they work with the stock middle and outer chainrings?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anyone?

members only
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    ... M960 crankset ... 24-32-44 version. I would like to swap on either a 21 or 22 tooth inner chainring...
    M960; 9 speed, std drive...
    Look here:
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/COMPCRXTR

Chrome Toaster
    Most of the aftermarket rings for it are just as expensive as the original replacement parts. The 960 22t granny is about $30 on the QBP catalogue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Keep in mind that the ramps & pins are lined up differently on the middle ring that goes with the 24 than the one that goes with the 22. I've got the opposite problem as you do - I'd prefer the 24, but I'm not willing to take the hit in shifting performance that would come with only replacing the small ring, nor am I willing to toss a perfectly good middle ring, so I'm just going to wait untill the rings need to be replace anyway then but the ones I want.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Middle and inner rings have to match up. 32-22 combo is "V".

If you want to be able to swop without worrying about this then you have to sacrifice a lot of shifting performance and get the hard wearing Middleburn hardcote slickshift XTR Chainring set.

Tall Bird Legged Rider
    Jan 2004

Will this help?

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    I picked up an M960 crankset for a great price, but it is the 24-32-44 version. I would like to swap on either a 21 or 22 tooth inner chainring.

What are my options? I understand Moonhead and Boone both make such an item. Are any better than others? How will they work with the stock middle and outer chainrings?

Thanks.
    I have been using the below ring all spring. The shifting is a little slower, but having this nice low gear is worth it.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    Chad

Are those your legs? Or are you riding a chicken?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I find it hard to believe that using a 24 instead of a 22 or vise versa would have much of an effect on shifting.

The current ramps and pins business is for the birds anyway. A set of 3 perfectly flat rings shifts just fine plus you can turn them the other direction when they wear and get double the mileage!

members only
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    ...using a 24 instead of a 22 ... much of an effect on shifting...
    I wouldn't think so either (Let's make sure we are talking all Shimano here)

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    ...current ramps and pins business is for the birds anyway. A set of 3 perfectly flat rings shifts just fine..
    This I don't agree on. I have tried a bunch of different Mfg combinations, the ramps/pins do help with upshifting, having an all Shimano ring combo sees to shift the best out of anyone. Also, why would so many other manfactures also put ramps on their rings?