MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

New question here. XTR-M960 cassette rattle

All,

I put a new XTR-M960 cassette on my King ISO rear hub shell and the darn thing rattles around even when lock ring is properly set. The cassette body and the loose rings don't fit the drive shell splines as well as it should in my opinion and they have a lot of play. I've owned many, many XTR cassettes, pre M960, and I've never had this problem, Do I have a bad cassette or is this problem with the new design??

Thanks in advance.

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Same problem here. You need a spacer.

I had the exact same problem. I contacted King and they sold me a small spacer that you put behind the cassette. Fixed the problem. I think it was a .5 MM spacer. I tried to buy one locally but couldn't find it anywhere. King has them for this purpose. They are cheap, but I still had to pay for shipping. I asked if they could just put it in an envelope and send it using a postage stamp. But no, they had to ship it.

Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    All,

I put a new XTR-M960 cassette on my King ISO rear hub shell and the darn thing rattles around even when lock ring is properly set. The cassette body and the loose rings don't fit the drive shell splines as well as it should in my opinion and they have a lot of play. I've owned many, many XTR cassettes, pre M960, and I've never had this problem, Do I have a bad cassette or is this problem with the new design??

Thanks in advance.

EndUser

Chrome Toaster
    Thats strange. I've run 960's on three seperate CK wheelsets and they fit just fine and snug.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Good job! Thanks... the fix worked!!

I really didn't do any diagnostics the first time, but your fix was right on the money. I didn't use a metal shim, but make a nylon shim out of that clear, thick/stiff plastic packaging (~0.5 mm thick) material thats hard to open. Anyway, no more rattle and I didn't even have to adjust the RD.

FYI. From what I can tell, the problem seem to be with the 11 tooth cog on the cassette. The spline stops/grooves on the 11 tooth cog are too shallow and when tightening the lock ring the cog bottoms out on the driveshell splines first rather than the cassette itself.

Just to verify, I put my old XTR cassette on and no problems. I think perhaps I got an out of spec 11 tooth cog on the 960. Oh well

Thanks again,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.